Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 12:11   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Key West > Dry Tortugas with SE wind

All,

I've read several remarks about making passages to the Dry Tortugas with an opposing wind/current warning.

The currents in New Ground run about .25 knots NE/SW and Issac Shoal N/S at about a knot. The southeast channel into the DT runs N/S at less than 1 knot.

We have an opportunity to leave this Saturday on a SE wind @ 15 knots and I am thinking this is a great opportunity for a fast broad reach. Wondering if anyone has had a bad experience on this particular wind direction and if I should be waiting for a steady east wind instead.

thanks!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:54   #2

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Key West > Dry Tortugas with SE wind

Haven't sailed all the way to the Tortugas but I've sailed that area quite a bit and I believe you will find the conditions to be perfect. Current in that region is very light to the point of being irrelevant, and there's nothing better than a broad reach. Envious is what I am.

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 18:27   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I wouldn't hesitate to go to the Dry Tortugas in those conditions, sounds like fun. The only problem I've ever had there is finding a window to return lol.
Old 11-04-2018, 19:22   #4

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I sailed to the Dry Tortugas from KW in a home made 15' catboat. Once in December and once in February. Very little current. I over nighted at Maquesas Key and left from there. There is Fort Jefferson there but not much else. Bring everything you need with you. There is only a gift shop in the fort. You can buy lunch on the fast cat ferry when it gets there. $5 for all you can eat, make your own cold cuts and soda. Coming back is usually upwind.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dry tortugas, key west, wind