Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2009, 10:57   #16

Boat: Bombay PH 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
Gregory?, BTW? Office?
WHAT ABOUT SIMILAR SOUND (mm 11), IS THAT A GOOD ANCHORAGE?
sorry dint think there was two of you!
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 11:08   #17

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Can anyone tell me about the amenities at Boca Chica NAS Marina? I am retired military and still researching boats and the crusing lifestyle. I am curious about the amenities available. I have read about what is offered there, from normal research on the internet, i.e. Google search. I would like some opinions from any cruisers who have stayed long term there.

Thanks
Wayne
Wayne - Skipper Bob Publications will send you a free PDF file of "Military Marinas Along the Great Circle Route" if you contact them. They only provide this to military members / retirees. All they ask in return is that you provide updates to them should you find new info to share.

Here's what they say about Boca Chica:

(16) Boca Chica NAS, FL
This marina is located on the west end of Boca Chica Key in the Florida Keys. The entrance channel is located at approximately N24º 32' and W81º 44'. Proceed north in the well-marked 12' channel. Expanded in 2002 to include 3 long fixed concrete piers and 151 slips with 6 slips set aside for transient vessels. 30A power on two piers and 50A on one. ($0.65/ft/day and $6.50/ft/month plus metered electric) There are also some mooring balls available ($10/day or $100/month) Free portable pumpout tanks, laundry, and E-mail phone line. The Navigator Bar & Grill at the marina was recently renovated and serves lunch and dinner and has a live band
once per week.
The marina is isolated and 1 ½ miles from the limited BX facilities on Boca Chica and almost 6 miles from the Key West Naval facilities. Reasonable dinghy ride to the Exchange and Commissary by going north of Stock Island and into Sigsbee Marina (see 20 below.) Rental cars are your best option for getting around. Retirees can use the new fitness center. No cabs
allowed on base after 9/11. Phone 305-293-2402 E-mail adkinsbi@naskw.navy.mil or website FFC Public Site Hosting & Registration :: Login .

FWIW, the Skipper Bob's guides are among my favorites and worth the price of admission.

Old 27-07-2009, 12:01   #18

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I do have the Skipper Bob publication, actually its just a pdf. What I was looking for was personal experiences with the facilities there.

Wayne
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 13:20   #19

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI
Re: Key West Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaya 09 View Post
What are the best anchorages in Key West for easy dinghy access to Key West Bight and good protection from a North wind?
You may be interested in Geiger Key and Simlar Sound.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 13:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by [COLOR=white
key[/COLOR]spc;308954]sorry dint think there was two of you!
Last time I looked there are four of us.
Old 29-11-2011, 13:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
You may be interested in Geiger Key and Simlar Sound.
WOW! what a way to bump a two year old thread
umm, last time i was home, you aint taking a dink from gieger key or simalar sound less you want to be gone all day ( if you have a fast inflatable)
best spot is inside christmas tree, fact its the only spot! you will get rocked and rolled outside it or in fleming.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:52   #22

Fast Annie, Tayana 42, is just learning to use this site so sorry I asked someone to email to my email address...just looking for information on anchoring in Key West and as I read I am getting the idea it is not a good idea...Annie
Fast Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:59   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
WOW! what a way to bump a two year old thread
umm, last time i was home, you aint taking a dink from gieger key or simalar sound less you want to be gone all day ( if you have a fast inflatable)
best spot is inside christmas tree, fact its the only spot! you will get rocked and rolled outside it or in fleming.
Anchoring in Similar Sound on the East Side of Geiger Key aint bad.
(Geiger Key Marina and RV Park, Circle K Store, Bus Line)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:43   #24

I was just down in key west in march. I would say stay away from wisteria. It has fair holding but there are quite a few undesirables that anchor there. While I was there I heard about two stabbings and at least one boat's anchor line was cut. The west side of fleming is your best bet. However it is not great holding. The whole area is about 1-2 feet of mud then rock. The first big blow turns the area into a bowling alley of boats. There are 2 local gentlemen that have unofficial moorings all around the area. they cost 150-250 a month.
SaltHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:11   #25

SaltHeart knows Key West.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:41   #26
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I would disagree with some of salthearts statements. Sure wisteria island is surrounded by junk boats, but 99.9% are harmless. You will only get stabbed if you run with the wrong crowd, then rip someone off, and then start a knife fight. So if your tempted to do these things you might have issues. As for the boat getting cut free, didn't happen. A liveaboard with shitty ground tackle broke free in a blow and since it couldn't be his fault, he blamed the last guy he burned and called the cops. Also Fleming Key has pretty good holding if you have a cruiser size anchor and chain. All the cruisers who stop in for 2 weeks or so anchor by fleming.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:15   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltHeart View Post
I was just down in key west in march. I would say stay away from wisteria. It has fair holding but there are quite a few undesirables that anchor there. While I was there I heard about two stabbings and at least one boat's anchor line was cut. The west side of fleming is your best bet. However it is not great holding. The whole area is about 1-2 feet of mud then rock. The first big blow turns the area into a bowling alley of boats. There are 2 local gentlemen that have unofficial moorings all around the area. they cost 150-250 a month.
"a bowling alley of boats" during a big blow is very accurate.
Old 09-05-2012, 18:18   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltHeart View Post
There are 2 local gentlemen that have unofficial moorings all around the area. they cost 150-250 a month.
\ there are two guys that do moorings I've raised at least one boat that had thru- hull line cut, that also might be a "gentleman" that buys and sells boats saying you dont need a title?? and the other has been accused of doping and raping more than one girl.
Denhart is the only one i'd trust for mooring rest are just crap that's been "claimed"
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49   #29
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Geez, Ive been anchoring near wisteria for the last 20 years and havent had any problems except one year when it blew gale force for a week and I woke to a boat crashing into us that had broken loose from its mooring. I met Don who has a floating bait store on the west side of wisteria. Nice gent. He had no problem keeping a half an eye on my boat and watching for dingies that werent mine stopping at my boat. Im sure if ya drop him a token of your appreciation he would do the same. I left the anchorage a week ago after a weeks stay. I think(hope) most of the "undesirables" antics and crime are aimed at each other and not at passing cruisers.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, key west