Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2011, 05:48   #1
Marine Service Provider

Jugging Water in Miami Beach

Where can you get water in Miami Beach, if you're jugging it?

Do the 2 handle-less spouts at the Publix, by the canal, work (with a wrench or some pliers of course)?
Is that water safe?
Will you get yelled at?

I'm anchored just South of Belle Island, so I'm pretty close to there. If not, what other options?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 06:51   #2
cruiser

I just posted on your Facebook wall too but thought I'd make the info public here.

When we were there last year (for 3 weeks, spilt among two visits) we got water at the police station - right on the dock. There was a faucet that you had to squeeze but had a threaded nozzle making it quite simple to attach a hose. The dock there can be a little high so it's generally a 2-person job unless you schlepp the water up and down the fixed dock. The water was great and almost all the boats in the anchorage used it.

By the way, we found the Publix a block north of the police station to be much nicer than the Publix along the canal. I hated that place where you tie up along the canal. It's just asking to have an inflatable eaten up on the rocks there.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 08:30   #3

Jeff has it exactly right.

If you are willing to do a little traveling you could also fill up the mother ship at Crandon Park. Easy enough to get to and we've always found them to be quite friendly there. They also have fuel and pump out facilities. In the past they have also accepted and held packages for us, but be sure to contact them about it first.

Greg
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 21:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

Re: Jugging Water in Miami Beach

Thanks Greg. I'm planning on spending some time anchored at marine park too.

Next question - Where can you take waste fuel in Miami Beach? The gas station just in the canal? Miami Beach Marina?

I'm about to have a lot of it. Engine and drive leg need changing.
Old 22-02-2011, 17:01   #5

From the dinghy dock that Jeff mentions above, walk to the first street in, Sunset harbor Drive, turn right (south) and walk about a half a block. On your left you will see an auto-body shop. They take used oil there and may be able to direct you to a used fuel collection point. It's worth a try at least. Note: English might not be the primary language of the first person you speak to. Smile, be polite and persistent and someone will be along to help you.

Good luck.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 17:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Thanks! Found it. Must have been wasp day. Giant swarm of yellow jackets! That manatee sign looked like something from the discovery channel.

Alright, next question, how long after a dinghy that drifted North from this spot doesn't show up, do you wait until you buy the one you saw on Craigslist?

And how does a bum with no car go about getting it back here?

Tags
miami, water