Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 06:00   #1

Jacksonville to Key West

Trying to plan my stops from Jacksonville to Key West..... has anyone made this trip ? looking for recommendations of places to stop .... any free docking ?
TaylorsCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 06:49   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Re: Jacksonville to Key West

There are many stops along the way on the ICW. Look at your charts, and they are obvious. You are looking at about 6-7 days depending on the speed you make. I have always waited for a northern front, and gone outside when leaving Green Cove Springs. It makes for a fast sail south non-stop..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 10:01   #3

Boat: Island Packet 380

From Melbourne (my home port) south I usually stop at Jensen Beach Causeway either north or south depending on wind. You can dinghy in to eat at Conchy Joes on the south side.

Then I go to Palm Beach where there is plenty of anchoring room. I go inside if it is rough, outside if not. You can go out at St. Lucie inlet. Trade off is outside you fight the current, inside you open bridges.

From Palm Beach I go to Ft. Lauderdale and either moor at Los Olas city marina or take a slip during the summer as they are very cheap out of season. Once again the wave state determines inside or outside. The farther south you get the more bridges. If going inside try to hit from here on during the work week.

From Lauderdale I have to go outside to Miami due to my mast being as high as the Julia Tuttle bridge. I like to anchor south of Rickenbacker Causeway but there are many options.

My next stop is just south of Jewfish Creek to have dinner at Gilberts. I try to hit here on the weekend. It is a lively place.

I draw 5' and usually go inside on a rising tide to anchor in Islamorada (usually near The OV or Oceanview, a good little restaurant owned by an ex-Pittsburgh Steeler lineman).

From there, I stop at Marathon and then I usually anchor in Newfound Harbour or off Lois Key with an easy half day sail to Key West from there.

If you draw more than five feet or just want to avoid the skinny water Hawk Channel outside is deep and easy. Just not as many anchoring spots.

Returning home if you get out in the gulf stream it is a speedy trip!
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:31   #4

Hey Taylor's Cafe... When are you planning to make this trip? We will be making this run in Mid- October and would love to have another boat to sail with us. If anyone else see's this and plans to do the same please let me know! Thanks.
Kesty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacksonville, key west