Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2017, 13:09   #1

Islands outside Venezuela. Pirate-safe?

Hi! We're considering sailing a route from Grenada via La Blanquilla, La Orchilla and Los Roches on our way to the ABC-islands. Does anyone have first hand- or can set me in contact we someone with first hand information regarding safety visting these islands now? I sailed there 5 years ago and felt very safe, but want an update on the situation before I make decision.

Thanks.

Are
BareAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 13:29   #2

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Islands outside Venezuela. Pirate-safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BareAre View Post
Hi! We're considering sailing a route from Grenada via La Blanquilla, La Orchilla and Los Roches on our way to the ABC-islands. Does anyone have first hand- or can set me in contact we someone with first hand information regarding safety visting these islands now? I sailed there 5 years ago and felt very safe, but want an update on the situation before I make decision.

Thanks.

Are
These are Venezuelan islands. There are pirates off the coast of Venezuela. Venezuela is a failed lawless state. Why on earth would you go there?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 14:42   #3

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
These are Venezuelan islands. There are pirates off the coast of Venezuela. Venezuela is a failed lawless state. Why on earth would you go there?
People are also desperate to leave that starving country.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 15:18   #4

Thank you for your inputs FlightPlan and poiu. Anyone with first hand information?
BareAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 15:40   #5

Boat: SOLD

I was in Isla Margarita last year (by plane) and was really disapointed how thing are over there. I was there on my honeymoon and my sons bought us the trip on our 25th aniversary. The security guys at the hotel told me that , as things started getting worse in the country, lots of people from the continent moved to the islands trying to get by with turism, and with the honest people also came the scum. At least there (margarita) they advise turist not to wander outside the hotels complex on the beach and move only in cabs hired by the hotel. As an example of how things are: my wife was in a jewelry (really cheap over there) and I stayed in the sidewalk because I was smoking, the owner came outside and asked me to go inside with him, drove me to a very small internal patio and gave me a chair to wait there, smoking my cigar, because it wasn´t safe outside, even at daylight in the main shopping street. When we where done, he called a cab for us, a one he knew , explainig that it was common for thieves to use cabs as a bait to rob turist . Din´t have the chance to go to the smaller islands but was told by our maid (exellent girl) that it was pretty much the same, the most wonderfull and friendly people moved aside by the worse of their society. It´s a beautifull country with lots of places to explore,great people, cheap (with a 5 dollar tip the first day we where attended like kings), but sadly ruined by it´s goverment. Just be carefull and don´t trust the authorities (port officials, customs, police, or the worse of all, the "Guardia Nacional Bolivariana").
Talk to other cruisers on your way south and don´t forget to check this web page : https://safetyandsecuritynet.org/ , it´s up to date information and: http://www.noonsite.com

Mariano

Fair winds
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 17:35   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Per Venezeulan friends its much worse in major cities than rural areas or out on the islands.

Non-USA friends stopped in at Los Roques last year, no problem.

Last year, on a delivery from Curaçau to Panamá I sailed near Los Monjes, no problems.

Personally, I wouldn't consider stopping in at some of the islands to the east to be totally foolish, but mainland Venezeula would be a significant security risk and outside of my comfort level.

However, these are just individual experiences & perspectives, take a look on www.noonsite.com for more and current reports there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 09:10   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariano View Post
I was in Isla Margarita last year
It has gotten a lot worse since then from all reports. I have been in places considered dangerous without a problem but I would avoid Venezuela for the foreseeable future.
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 09:21   #8

What about Grenanda and the Grenadines. Are they safe for cruising?
AndyBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 09:49   #9

I've been sailing to los Roques (sarqui) all my life from 1977 to 2001. Many friends have been robed and killed. Many people still go. I loved it. Named my boat Sarqui after the island. But not worth taking the chance my opinion only.
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 09:55   #10

Boat: Prout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBerry View Post
What about Grenanda and the Grenadines. Are they safe for cruising?
Grenada very safe though usual precautions especially dinghy thefts. Grenadines found it ok though always give St Vincents a miss though others have no problem

As far as Venezuela islands dont go south of the rumb line Grenada to ABCs and even give Klein Curacao a miss as too near Venezuela........though shouldn't go there anyway before clearing in in which case you would be going up wind

Yet hope Venezuela gets sorted out, it sounds a remarkable country
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 09:58   #11

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Some aquantances were recently in Cuacaco and noted that the vegetable boats from Venezuela were still coming regularly. Doesn't mean the islands are safe but with all situations like this everything is fine until it isn't. To be be safer skip them. I would not worry about piracy there as much as the government officials themselves.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 10:15   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Grand Banks 46

Yes, agree with consensus. Stay away. We don't want to be reading about you in the Caribbean Safety and Security Net. Even the offshore oil rigs off of Trinidad have been the scene of incidents. See Safetyandsecuritynet.org.

Glenn Tuttle - Net Manager
SSCA HF Radio Service KPK
And partners with CSSN.
Parrothedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 10:20   #13

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Venezuela Travel Warning
LAST UPDATED: JULY 27, 2017
The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens against travel to Venezuela due to social unrest, violent crime, and pervasive food and medicine shortages. This travel warning also informs U.S. citizens that on July 27, the Department ordered the departure of family members and authorized the voluntary departure of U.S. government employees from the U.S. Embassy in Caracas.

All U.S. direct-hire personnel and their families assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Caracas are subject to an embassy movement policy that limits their travel within Caracas and many parts of the country. Inter-city travel by car during hours of darkness (6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.) is strongly discouraged and in some cases may be prohibited. U.S. government personnel must also request approval for travel outside of Caracas. These security measures may limit the U.S. Embassy’s ability to provide services. This replaces the Travel Warning issued December 15, 2016.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 11:56   #14

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

95% of crimes in Venezuela stays unpunished, nor investigated!
Pick your choice.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 12:44   #15

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Islands outside Venezuela. Pirate-safe?

Cruised from Guadeloupe to Bonaire 4 daylight 3 night crossing beautiful sailing, Bonaire was exceptional in quality of sailing grounds and accommodations. You cannot anchor there just tie up to a can (buoy) you can check in at the government pier very nice locals working with Dutch supervisors. Good diving snorkeling around the anchorage also klein Bonaire. Good provisioning stores we got around with the dingy. You may rent a car but it is a small island so we let the locals in their dust. Spent last years hurricane season in Curacao, Seru Boca Marina inside the Spanish waters inlet. Beautiful island industrialized (Dutch) good air correspondence with US (MIami) 2-3 flights daily. Venezuelan threat rumors (people having their wallets stolen at night in gentleman clubs and bars). Good fresh vegetables from the Venezuelan tugs that tie up by the Customs house downtown. Last note island has two Budget Marine stores and one Island world well equipped stores for your boating needs. Seru Boca Marina resort is gated with 24 hour guards. There is a reason for that, unless you want to take your chances on the hook in Spanish waters.
Good luck and stay away from Venezuela if you are Yankee meat (Venezuelan terminology).
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Venezuela