Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2009, 17:25   #1

Is There a Cost of Marina Fees Index for the Caribbean?

I'm wondering how the various Caribbean destinations stack up in terms of the costs involved in docking a boat, etc. I was considering moving to Aruba in the years ahead, but then I began to wonder if, since it's one of the more expensive islands (and since it's somewhat of a hurricane haven), it might be staying at their marinas are perhaps more expensive than other islands.

Anyone know of an index somewhere that compares averages rates across the Caribbean?
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 06:36   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've never come across anything like that. You just have to dig in and work the Google search thing. You'll find that most of the marinas list their rates. The exception is IGY. They own six or eight marinas throughout the eastern Caribbean. They make you call or email for rates. You'll find that they're at the high end of the scale.
Old 24-08-2009, 07:23   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Such an index may work in some parts of the world... But in the Caribbean... Gezzze I can't see something like that ever being accurate and updated... or undertaken

They are on island time mon!

All areas have their own "Prime" season and off seasons, holidays moving event days where fees often vary greatly. I have seen indications we may (hope...hope...hope) see some real competition returning. With the world economy in the dumps, some locations have a reduction in visitors, some dramatic. While some governments attempt to quiet the reports you can see empty slips, far less full boat yards in the off season and if you get to know the individuals who have been in area, you will know people who are moving their boats around or returning home as a growing number of Charter Boat owners have done in past 18 to 24 months.

At least we can HOPE for a flattening of the rate of increase in fees!
Old 24-08-2009, 08:08   #4

Island time, mon!

Okay guys, thanks. Your answers were helpful nonetheless. I'll refine my search. I just figured such an index might be out there. I've got alot to learn!
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 08:52   #5

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Green, Hud gives good advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I've never come across anything like that. You just have to dig in and work the Google search thing. You'll find that most of the marinas list their rates. The exception is IGY. They own six or eight marinas throughout the eastern Caribbean. They make you call or email for rates. You'll find that they're at the high end of the scale.
While I don't know of a website providing the information You seek either (in a "1 stop shopping" type place for making reservations as well), a good rule of thumb IS
IF they don't post pricing, even by the foot, for the "seasons", they're probably more expensive than most.

(Most) Folks who're reasonable, or even better post costs (Most of them) right up front, including L/A, utilities, pumpouts, etc. It may require getting out a currency calculator based on destination, but You ought to be getting familiar w/that before arriving there anyway.
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 13:01   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green23 View Post
... I was considering moving to Aruba in the years ahead, but then I began to wonder if, since it's one of the more expensive islands (and since it's somewhat of a hurricane haven), it might be staying at their marinas are perhaps more expensive than other islands...
In Aruba, you may find yourself limited to the Renaissance Marina, in Oranjestad harbor:
Rates:
$1.00/foot a day
$5.00/foot a week
$15.00/foot a month
$140.00/foot a year
All services (water, electricity, etc) extra.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 15:50   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
In my years in the eastern islands of the Caribbean I would say that the rates Gordmay shows for Aruba are also the "medium" rates for marinas in the eastern Caribbean. The lowest are about half of those rates shown and the "upscale" marinas two or three times those rates.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:22   #8

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
You could get some good info at these 2 sites:

http://www.noonsite.com

World Cruising Guides - CruiserlogWiki

Good Luck

Jeff

"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags