Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2014, 06:35   #46

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: Is it really that HOT in America and the Caribbean?

a64- heading south during hurricane season is not a fun prospect for me- today is the 9th anniversary of Katrina. I'm not big on going north as I do not like cold weather but the thought of being without AC down here is not pleasant. Plus if I agree to venture up there we can get a bit bigger blue water boat as compared to a coastal cruiser. I don't know about the cost of north vs south but you could very well be correct but since we aren't planning to stay in marinas or mooring balls and want to stay on the hook as much as possible and hubs will be fishing (that's his reason for wanting to head there) we will need fresh veggies and such only. Another reason for not wanting a jenny is I don't want to have to purchase fuel- just another expense. I really want to go minimal if at all possible- who doesn't? Les stuff less $$$.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 06:42   #47

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
So many people have air conditioning questions, generators to power the air conditioning questions, where to install the air condition questions etc etc... Is it really That hot there?
In Aus we have pretty hot weather, in the med it can get hot, here in Southern Portugal is pretty hot mid day, 30-35 degrees is a nice sunny day. If you get hot you jump in the water?
So what am I missing considering the last thing I would want on board a yacht would be an air conditioner???

A typical day here in the upper Chesapeake Bay during July and August is 85-95°F with humidity approx. 90-95% and no breeze. Sometimes it gets up to 100-105°F.

-Chris
Old 29-08-2014, 06:59   #48
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like we don't want to be living aboard this time of year in FL. How far north do you have to go to escape the humidity and critters? We were thinking of heading up around Georgetown or a bit further from June to November before heading south again to the Caribbean
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 07:21   #49

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I hate hot weather. I spent many years sweating in the US southeast while working. We have really cold seawater in the PNW when the outside air is hot the breeze is cool. No AC required. What really drives folks to hot weather locations is long cold winters. Its psychology....
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 08:02   #50

Quote:
Funnily many of the older locals in far North Queensland prefer not to have AC and enjoy the humidity.
My parents used to have a place in arizona. We drove them out one year and it was 105F and warmer inside. My mom (early 80's) complained when my dad turned on the swamp cooler, so I won't put much emphasis on what the old folks enjoy (at least for a few more years).

We spent a summer in the carolina's and it was worse than michigan in the winter. If you've ever seen the movie "cool hand luke" and you see the warden constantly mopping his face with a hand towel...we started keeping one at the helm while traveling and would litterally wring it out a couple times an hour.

I love this and will be stealing it the next time a self righteous guy goes on about having and running the AC:

"And if you think you win "tough guy" points for going without an AC then you surely win even more for learning to ignore the generator and sleep through it."
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 08:22   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i was advised that today in phoenix the temp is 108 F and that was only at 0800. it goes UP from there. guess where i have to go now for one week... i pronounce it HELL, same thing, hot, dry. ouch.

no fang kyoo...

but i still have to go , no choice, actually, as it is a bereavement flight.
you guys have a great hot day, i much prefer tropics and their rainy times and humidity over desert bake oven and and that never-ending unbearable HEAT.
do not believe that crap about "but it is a dry heat" is bs.
trust me.
i know.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 08:38   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Biker,
By south, I didn't mean south Fl or anything, I was thinking like maybe on the other side of the equator south.
I plan on seeking 80 as a max temp for the day, with a low in the 60's, and travel to maintain that temp
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 08:38   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Zee,
Sorry for your loss
Old 29-08-2014, 08:38   #54

Boat: Bristol 35

The dry heat of NM and AZ isn't as bad as the hot humid heat. I lived in NM and we had no heat- Las Cruces wasn't too far from the boarder. We had a swamp cooler for the 105 degree temps in the summer and it really wasn't bad in the shade. But if you were in the sun the heat off the ground made it unbearable. Riding the Harley in out there was ungodly- air cooled engine in the desert southwest did not mix! Spent many hours in convience stores waiting for the sun to go down just to ride to the next town.
Of course it is all subject to each persons individuality, comfort and biology. I work with a guy that keeps a fan on his desk even in the winter. My middle daughter has a ceiling fan and bed side fan going all year- she lives in the TN mountains and melts when she comes to visit.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 09:11   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like we don't want to be living aboard this time of year in FL. How far north do you have to go to escape the humidity and critters? We were thinking of heading up around Georgetown or a bit further from June to November before heading south again to the Caribbean
Hard to say how far north is far enough. Last time I was in NC I was heading south in the ICW in early Oct and anchored out in a marsh one night. The noseeums launched an all out attack so we hid below and were all soaked in sweat. You might have to go as far as New England.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 09:51   #56

Boat: Able 50

Did someone say New England ?

So far it's 73f in Providence and a max around 78f looks likely. There are no mosquitoes but we do have an Obama buzzing around.

Nice
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:05   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

It's raining here and the wife has a fleece on
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:18   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
It's raining here and the wife has a fleece on
Yeah, but nearly every day is like that isn't it? Raining that is
Old 29-08-2014, 12:05   #59

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

One thing is for sure... we will not be spending summer in Florida again.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 13:24   #60

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
wow pooor kitty..... when i had a car i had to leave windows cracked for tolerance.. good thing i drove a beeter,, when i had sporty car i was a nervous of leaving window cracked, but no one tried to steal anything..cars get soo damned hot inside. everything dies and booties get burned on seats--i had to use a towel on my recaro seats in my anniversary edition 300zxturbo... burned my butt off so many times...
poor kitty......
is it hot enough for ye yet????
no one laughs at the window unit in my formosa down here. is necessary fro survival and no sudando como cerdo en horno....
as for the flying teeth--hate em... put hand made screens of skeeter netting on everything that opens into boat, and i am able to sleep just fine n dandy as long as i dont have to sleep on a swimming pool of sweat.
Now I know why Bubba went swimming! He was trying to cool off, or escape from noisy air-conditioning in installed by by woman in black lace bra.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib