Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 08:53   #46

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: IS Bimini a Run down dump?

Sloop John B.

Even though the song refers to Nassau town, the sloop was actually the John Burrows, out of Bimini. The captain was the grandfather of Manuel Burrows, my Godfather. Or so I was told by him.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:35   #47

" Bimini has a weird sportfisher vibe that we didn't appreciate" Like it or not, sportfishing put Bimini on the map. Fishing is and will always be the biggest draw for Bimini. Giant bluefin tuna was the draw for many wealthy businessmen. This is Bimini's heritage. If you don't like fishing or fishermen, you will not like Bimini.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:37   #48

This post reminds me of all of the people I have known, who have flown into Nassau, went straight to Atlantis, never left until it was time to go back the airport, and really think they have been to the Bahamas.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:50   #49

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I think Ram asked a fair question and the answer is "Yes." He was not degrading the people or their friendliness, but rather making an honest observation. Old Bimini , not the new developments, has the potential to be a quaint Caribbean town with tremendous economic potential if they employed the services of a carpenter, painter, plumber and electrician. It sadly will never happen since the locals cannot see the connection between economic prosperity through tourism and a clean attractive town. The bars are grungy, the restaurants shabby and unclean(rats) and the streets and sidewalks lined with litter and garbage. Some may call this quaint or "native" but it really is the lack of motivation by the locals to improve their lot. They are happy the way they are and for me that's o.k., but they shouldn't expect anything other than the status quo. And, the legendary fishing off Bimini is a thing of the past unless you think catching Amberjacks and Sharks is great fishing. Most serious fisherman bypass Bimini and go directly to the Tongue of the Ocean for Marlin, Sailfish, Dolphin, Kings, and Wahoo. And the diving is not great, but o.k. as most serious divers will tell you. So, why go to Bimini? It's a great first time stop after crossing the Gulfstream in the Bahamas, easy to clear Customs and cheap dockage if you go to the old harbor. If you're self sufficient and not looking for a "wine and dine" experience I guess it doesn't matter. And, oh . . . by the way . . . make sure you wear sandals or flip flops when you walk on the old west beach to avoid the tremendous amount of broken glass from beer and wine bottles. I guess some call that quaint.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:02   #50

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I think Ram asked a fair question and the answer is "Yes." He was not degrading the people or their friendliness, but rather making an honest observation. Old Bimini , not the new developments, has the potential to be a quaint Caribbean town with tremendous economic potential if they employed the services of a carpenter, painter, plumber and electrician. It sadly will never happen since the locals cannot see the connection between economic prosperity through tourism and a clean attractive town. The bars are grungy, the restaurants shabby and unclean(rats) and the streets and sidewalks lined with litter and garbage. Some may call this quaint or "native" but it really is the lack of motivation by the locals to improve their lot. They are happy the way they are and for me that's o.k., but they shouldn't expect anything other than the status quo. And, the legendary fishing off Bimini is a thing of the past unless you think catching Amberjacks and Sharks is great fishing. Most serious fisherman bypass Bimini and go directly to the Tongue of the Ocean for Marlin, Sailfish, Dolphin, Kings, and Wahoo. And the diving is not great, but o.k. as most serious divers will tell you. So, why go to Bimini? It's a great first time stop after crossing the Gulfstream in the Bahamas, easy to clear Customs and cheap dockage if you go to the old harbor. If you're self sufficient and not looking for a "wine and dine" experience I guess it doesn't matter. And, oh . . . by the way . . . make sure you wear sandals or flip flops when you walk on the old west beach to avoid the tremendous amount of broken glass from beer and wine bottles. I guess some call that quaint.
We were just in Bimini a couple of weeks ago, and obviously this isn't the same Bimini you are discussing. The streets are clean, people were out painting buildings the entire time we were there, new construction going on everywhere, the restaurants were clean, we are picky about where we eat, The sport fishing boats were in and out every day, even days we would never consider going out, and Susan and I walked the entire length of the beach on North Bimini barefoot. It's a great shelling beach, obvious from the large shell collection we now have on board. The locals are soooo much friendlier than any place we have traveled in south Florida. So where is this Bimini you refer to? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:35   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I would rather be on an island where the houses are dumps, the people are poor and yet they still have culture, family and genuinely love each other than to spend time around the wealthy. I have done plenty of both, the former was always much better for the soul.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:35   #52

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
We were just in Bimini a couple of weeks ago, and obviously this isn't the same Bimini you are discussing. The streets are clean, people were out painting buildings the entire time we were there, new construction going on everywhere, the restaurants were clean, we are picky about where we eat, The sport fishing boats were in and out every day, even days we would never consider going out, and Susan and I walked the entire length of the beach on North Bimini barefoot. It's a great shelling beach, obvious from the large shell collection we now have on board. The locals are soooo much friendlier than any place we have traveled in south Florida. So where is this Bimini you refer to? Chuck
Similar experience from friends who just visited.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:43   #53

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
If you're talking about the new development on the North end of the island or the relatively new condo marina off the channel entrance, you are correct . But, Old Bimini Town and harbor hasn't changed (with the exception of the Big Game Club) in thirty years. I guess the saying "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" aptly applies. And, if you walked the old beach just north of the harbor entrance, it is still loaded with glass and debris, both before and now. And, having spent ten years traveling to Bimini, both to and from the islands, I can honestly say I never felt the locals were friendly and in most cases, I felt like they were doing me a favor to take my money. Maybe that's what you call friendly. I never encountered that attitude anywhere in South Florida on either the east or west coast. But then again, my rose colored glasses irreparably broke the day I left college and got a job. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:50   #54

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We stayed at a marina in Alice Town, did walk to the resort and wasn't impressed, so yes we are talking about what you call Old Bimini Town. The only thing that put a dent in our Bimini experience was the Spring Breakers. Once they arrived we had to leave. I guess I'm just getting old. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:28   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would rather be on an island where the houses are dumps, the people are poor and yet they still have culture, family and genuinely love each other than to spend time around the wealthy. I have done plenty of both, the former was always much better for the soul.
I, too, have always thought that the Bahamian people, especially on the smaller islands, are some of nicest and most pleasant people to be around, I have ever met.

They have a wonderful culture and life, and we are lucky they let us come visit them and partake in it.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45   #56

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Thanks to all of you on this thread for your input....Jon and I are, hopefully, heading to the Bahamas soon and appreciate all the info from those knowledgable about the present conditions. The plan is to get lost in all those wonderful islands and avoid the tourist traps as much as possible...from what I do know, it appears that the opportunities to do so are abundant...
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:58   #57

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
The plan is to get lost in all those wonderful islands and avoid the tourist traps as much as possible...from what I do know, it appears that the opportunities to do so are abundant...
Exactly! You can clear in at Bimini, where it is very easy to do, and then move on if it doesn't suit you. There are hundreds of islands with nobody on them, if that is what you want.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:03   #58
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

If Bimini is your first stop after leaving S. Florida, and you've never done all that much traveling before, then all the differences can be a bit of a shock. But, I have to ask, if you're not interested in exposing yourself to different people, places and cultures, then why are you going cruising?

Personally, I found the far bigger shock (and not a pleasant one) was the return to S. Florida. I'll take Bimini any day over Ft. Lah-de-dah.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:11   #59
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Then at night when you see pockets of hubbies forming outside out of the way a bit, we know they got their hands on the pot and it doesn't take long before their wives need to pull them away from bars and local women etc. The next day it's all red eyes and coffee
Wait, are you saying that in Bimini it is Ok to smoke dope, drink a lot, go out whoring, and .......................... your wife is OK with it?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:32   #60

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Wait, are you saying that in Bimini it is Ok to smoke dope, drink a lot, go out whoring, and .......................... your wife is OK with it?
Not my wife, not any island not even if it was named "Heaven" would she/we be ok with it! Just saying
Johnny
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bimini Islands