Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2013, 20:37   #76

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: IS Bimini a Run down dump?

Been on a number of the islands in the Bahamas. Included Nassau to the near deserted. Loved the diversity, people, scenery, etc. But never to Bimini and look forward to seeing it one day.

It's Better in the Bahamas - Agreed.
You see what you are looking for - as pointed out by others and Agreed on that point too.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07   #77

I wish more people didn't like Bimini and the Bahamas. It's getting more and more crowded every time I go.

Back in the 80's I can remember a day sailing in the Berries, and we caught 21 lobster in one day (they were literally under every coral head) and so many conch we just quit.

It's more crowded now, but you can still find places to go where you don't see another boat for a week. Try and find that anywhere else these days.

If anything, being so close to the USA is probably the worst influence on the Bahamas.

I like Bimini but I miss the Compleat Angler, and I miss Ozzie Brown. I don't miss all of the drug smuggling riff raff that used to be there.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:58   #78

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
pirate Re: IS Bimini a Run down dump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
The Tin Horn Cruiser responds to the seasoned All Knowing Cruiser:

William Turner in "The Rescue of the Romish Fox," in 1545 states:

"Byrdes of on kynde and color
Flok and flye allwayes together"

Modern English translation: Birds of a feather flock together.
I am not an "all knowing cruiser", but I do know Bimini, and it isn't what you state it is, plan and simple.

I only post on things I actually know about, and this is one of the few things I am absolutely sure of, the fact that your post is incorrect at best. I live here, I don't just come here every couple of years for a quick visit in Alice Town.

Like I said, there are four "towns" on this island, and if you ever left the marinas area in Alice Town, I think your opinion would change. PM me when you arrive, and I will show you the part you are missing, the 95% part. I specialize in Tin Horn conversions.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 13:20   #79

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
I am not an "all knowing cruiser", but I do know Bimini, and it isn't what you state it is, plan and simple.

I only post on things I actually know about, and this is one of the few things I am absolutely sure of, the fact that your post is incorrect at best. I live here, I don't just come here every couple of years for a quick visit in Alice Town.

Like I said, there are four "towns" on this island, and if you ever left the marinas area in Alice Town, I think your opinion would change. PM me when you arrive, and I will show you the part you are missing, the 95% part. I specialize in Tin Horn conversions.

Waterworldly,
I am forced by the power of Reason to both agree and disagree with your above remarks. I disagree with your statement that you are not an "All Knowing Cruiser" since you have the remarkable ability to see into the past --that I never left the marina and you would show me the part I am missing, "the 95%" and also the remarkable trait of mental telepathy where once I received your informational and historic tour of Bimini, my "opinion would change."
I agree that like most "All Knowing People" you believe you only write about things you "actually know about" and with the size and scope of Bimini, your knowledge speaks for itself.
As for your offer of a spiritual "conversion" from "Tin Horn" to "All Knowing" there is something romantically appealing(no, not erotic but rather philosophical) about being a tin horn. A tin horn is unique, durable and its shape distinguishes one from the amorphous blob of conforming "sheeple" as it protects against the unwieldly blows of a pendantic know it all.
The water in the Bahamas is beautiful. Old Bimini is a dump.
Good luck, good sailing . . . and may your conversions be bountiful . . . Ave Verum Corpus . . .
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 16:19   #80

Pictures are worth a thousand words. My friends.
Wshollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 16:37   #81
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Here is some more info:
http://www.ciekurzis.org/The%20Bimin...%20Islands.htm

I don't think it's too bad but I think it's too close to the US.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:02   #82

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Waterworldly,
I am forced by the power of Reason to both agree and disagree with your above remarks. I disagree with your statement that you are not an "All Knowing Cruiser" since you have the remarkable ability to see into the past --that I never left the marina and you would show me the part I am missing, "the 95%" and also the remarkable trait of mental telepathy where once I received your informational and historic tour of Bimini, my "opinion would change."
I agree that like most "All Knowing People" you believe you only write about things you "actually know about" and with the size and scope of Bimini, your knowledge speaks for itself.
As for your offer of a spiritual "conversion" from "Tin Horn" to "All Knowing" there is something romantically appealing(no, not erotic but rather philosophical) about being a tin horn. A tin horn is unique, durable and its shape distinguishes one from the amorphous blob of conforming "sheeple" as it protects against the unwieldly blows of a pendantic know it all.
The water in the Bahamas is beautiful. Old Bimini is a dump.
Good luck, good sailing . . . and may your conversions be bountiful . . . Ave Verum Corpus . . .
Thank you for admitting that your post was incorrect.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:05   #83
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Here is some more info:
We're in The Bahamas, We're in The Bahamas!

I don't think it's too bad but I think it's too close to the US.

That was a terrible story.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 00:59   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
That was a terrible story.
Kind of funny, and sad, at the same time. You either like third world countries because of what they are, or you don't. He could have been describing a lot of places I have been besides the Bahamas when talking about Bimini.

Everyone likes Disneyworld, but no one wants to admit it.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05   #85

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Kind of funny, and sad, at the same time. You either like third world countries because of what they are, or you don't. He could have been describing a lot of places I have been besides the Bahamas when talking about Bimini.

Everyone likes Disneyworld, but no one wants to admit it.
I HATE DISNEYWORLD!!!! Now that we have that out of the way. I happen to like Bimini. It is not the US and that is the way I want it or otherwise I wouldn't go there. There are people in Bimini that are looking to make a buck and you are a source of bucks, so get over it. It's not a first world country. If that's what you want, don't go there. It's been said that when the US economy sneezes the rest of the world catches cold, but the Bahamas catches pneumonia. The recession has been hard on Bimini as has been the loss of Chalk's. Sometimes "progress" is not something one wants to see. One of my favorite bars on Bimini was the Sunset bar. It used to be a nice little open air bar under a thatch roof that overlooked the western beach and that beautiful blue water. Sherry, the owner built a new bar on the same site, but it has an enclosed building and now you sit out on a wooden deck. She's very proud of her new establishment and I didn't have the heart to tell her I preferred the old bar. I still go there will again, because I like the owner and the view is still pretty good.

I for one don't particulary like the Abacos as they are too much like the US. Georgetown is also getting to be a little too "civilized" for my liking. I much prefer the out Islands. I don't go to Nassau, too much like Disneyworld, both of which I have been to twice and in both cases was two times too many.

I really do like the people in the Bahamas, especially on the outer Islands. Are you going to find people trying to take advantage of you, of course, but not nearly as many as you'll find her in the good old USA.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:15   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I HATE DISNEYWORLD!!!!
I'll second that. It's awful. Had to take my daughter when she was a kid and I felt like was in a 3D, non-stop, saturation commercial for Disney souvenirs.

Quote:
I happen to like Bimini. It is not the US and that is the way I want it or otherwise I wouldn't go there. There are people in Bimini that are looking to make a buck and you are a source of bucks, so get over it. It's not a first world country. If that's what you want, don't go there.
Sure Bimini isn't bright, shiny, chrome and neon like Miami Beach. Sure some paint is faded and you run into people on the street trying to hustle a dollar but the island has it's own particular charm and the people are just as friendly as anywhere in the far out islands. And unless things have changed a lot since my last visit, I feel totally safe walking anywhere on the island at any time of the day or night.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:56   #87

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Like the Bahamas better than FL. No problem dropping the hook. In fact they welcome you when you do. They don't try to run you out of town after they collect their excise tax and give you a ticket for dropping the hook.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:13   #88

Quote:
I HATE DISNEYWORLD!!!! Now that we have that out of the way. I happen to like Bimini. It is not the US and that is the way I want it or otherwise I wouldn't go there. There are people in Bimini that are looking to make a buck and you are a source of bucks, so get over it. It's not a first world country. If that's what you want, don't go there. It's been said that when the US economy sneezes the rest of the world catches cold, but the Bahamas catches pneumonia. The recession has been hard on Bimini as has been the loss of Chalk's. Sometimes "progress" is not something one wants to see. One of my favorite bars on Bimini was the Sunset bar. It used to be a nice little open air bar under a thatch roof that overlooked the western beach and that beautiful blue water. Sherry, the owner built a new bar on the same site, but it has an enclosed building and now you sit out on a wooden deck. She's very proud of her new establishment and I didn't have the heart to tell her I preferred the old bar. I still go there will again, because I like the owner and the view is still pretty good.

I for one don't particulary like the Abacos as they are too much like the US. Georgetown is also getting to be a little too "civilized" for my liking. I much prefer the out Islands. I don't go to Nassau, too much like Disneyworld, both of which I have been to twice and in both cases was two times too many.

I really do like the people in the Bahamas, especially on the outer Islands. Are you going to find people trying to take advantage of you, of course, but not nearly as many as you'll find her in the good old USA.
Pretty much agree with everything you said.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:20   #89

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
Thank you for admitting that your post was incorrect.

The title of the discussion: Is Bimini a Run Down Dump. Answer: Yes.
The subject of water quality and its allure has nothing to do with the state of disrepair and neglect of Old Bimini. Therefore, one has nothing to do with the other.
There is no admission, on my part, that my opinion was incorrect.
However, if you need to be right, I will acquiesce and nobly grant you the concession for your illogical reasoning. Since I have recently been transformed into a 21st Century version of Don Quixote de la Mancha, I promise . . . your windmill is one I will no longer fight.
Good luck, good sailing and may your life in Bimini be one of lasting and eternal bliss.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27   #90

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Why some folks take things so seriously, on here, is beyond me. Life is too short! Just remember this translated french proverb: "Empty barrels give out the loudest noise." A lot of folks disagree with my opinion...I just smile, because everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. <Pay him the two dollars! Ziegfeld Follies> Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bimini Islands