Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 05:37   #61

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Re: IS Bimini a Run down dump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
If you're talking about the new development on the North end of the island or the relatively new condo marina off the channel entrance, you are correct . But, Old Bimini Town and harbor hasn't changed (with the exception of the Big Game Club) in thirty years. I guess the saying "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" aptly applies. And, if you walked the old beach just north of the harbor entrance, it is still loaded with glass and debris, both before and now. And, having spent ten years traveling to Bimini, both to and from the islands, I can honestly say I never felt the locals were friendly and in most cases, I felt like they were doing me a favor to take my money. Maybe that's what you call friendly. I never encountered that attitude anywhere in South Florida on either the east or west coast. But then again, my rose colored glasses irreparably broke the day I left college and got a job. Good luck and good sailing.
It says that your location is in Michigan. I am curious of when was the last time you were here. I live here, and have never seen even one rat. I go to the beaches on the west side (there are no beaches on the east side) twice a week walking two to three miles each time, and the only glass is the occasional sea glass. It really bothers me that guys like you put up these posts and it appears that you either spent very little time here or haven't been here for years (by the way, there is no new or old condo complex at the harbour entrance on North Bimini, that's on South Bimini. Perhaps you have never been to North Bimini. Did you anchor or go to the dock? You don't need your rose colored classes, friend, you just need glasses, and perhaps a better attitude and a more current visit. If you are coming, send me a message. I would love to see the rats and glass you talk about.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:53   #62

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Wow. Very powerful words from a complete stranger that I've never met. Firstly, I don't live in Michigan, but rather in Illinois. We lived aboard our boat for ten years in South Florida, the Bahamas and the Caribbean and used Bimini every season for ten years to enter and leave the Bahamas. During those years, we logged over 17,000 sea miles. We probably spent more time in Bimini in the early years waiting for weather than we care to admit. The last time I was in Bimini on my own boat was 2006. We were back twice after that two and four years later on a friends boat since we returned to Illinois. We spent most of the time at Bimini Blue Water and a couple of times at the Big Game Club. We never anchored because the anchorage is generally sand over coral and when the wind picks up boats drag all over the anchorage. The condo complex I mentioned was in the approach channel to Old Bimini. I never said it was in the north. You certainly present yourself as the ultimate Bimini authority even though others on this site have made comments similar to mine. I do not want to disparage a business on Bimini but we saw rats numerous times behind a bar and grill(send me a pm and I'll give you the name) close to Bimini Blue Water. Alice Town is a run down Bahamian town that is exactly as I described it. A good friend spent Easter at Bimini Blue Water and confirmed yesterday that nothing has changed since we were there last. They haven't rebuilt the Complete Angler or C.J's Deli since they burned down. Progress? You are certainly entitled to your opinion as am I, but there are certainly disparate descriptions of Bimini by several respondants on this site. Is one group lying? Could there be differing opinions? If you are currently living in Bimini I would have to say that there are far more beautiful places to be than tied to a dock than in Old Bimini drinking RO water and plugged into intermittent shorepower. Certainly you must have another agenda in your life or perhaps the beautiful spotless quaint Bahamian village has become your dream on earth. Why not try raising a sail now and then and leave your secluded paradise. Come on pal . . . come back to the real world.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:37   #63

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I think the beginning of the end for good crusing was the invention of GPS. There really are alot of folks out there that should not be. The first thing to spoil a good spot is the arrival of cruise ships, the second is condos. All in my humble opinion.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 06:24   #64

Quote:
Wow. Very powerful words from a complete stranger that I've never met. Firstly, I don't live in Michigan, but rather in Illinois. We lived aboard our boat for ten years in South Florida, the Bahamas and the Caribbean and used Bimini every season for ten years to enter and leave the Bahamas. During those years, we logged over 17,000 sea miles. We probably spent more time in Bimini in the early years waiting for weather than we care to admit. The last time I was in Bimini on my own boat was 2006. We were back twice after that two and four years later on a friends boat since we returned to Illinois. We spent most of the time at Bimini Blue Water and a couple of times at the Big Game Club. We never anchored because the anchorage is generally sand over coral and when the wind picks up boats drag all over the anchorage. The condo complex I mentioned was in the approach channel to Old Bimini. I never said it was in the north. You certainly present yourself as the ultimate Bimini authority even though others on this site have made comments similar to mine. I do not want to disparage a business on Bimini but we saw rats numerous times behind a bar and grill(send me a pm and I'll give you the name) close to Bimini Blue Water. Alice Town is a run down Bahamian town that is exactly as I described it. A good friend spent Easter at Bimini Blue Water and confirmed yesterday that nothing has changed since we were there last. They haven't rebuilt the Complete Angler or C.J's Deli since they burned down. Progress? You are certainly entitled to your opinion as am I, but there are certainly disparate descriptions of Bimini by several respondants on this site. Is one group lying? Could there be differing opinions? If you are currently living in Bimini I would have to say that there are far more beautiful places to be than tied to a dock than in Old Bimini drinking RO water and plugged into intermittent shorepower. Certainly you must have another agenda in your life or perhaps the beautiful spotless quaint Bahamian village has become your dream on earth. Why not try raising a sail now and then and leave your secluded paradise. Come on pal . . . come back to the real world.
Your thoughts and criticism are exactly what I hear from every tin horned cruisers that comes through, although the younger ones will often agree that Bimini ain't no Abacos or Georgetown, and we're glad of that. I travel every year up and down the east coast from NYC to Bimini, spending summers north (May to Sept) and winters south. I have over 23000 miles traveled on the east coast of the US and will not trade Bimini for one of the small towns along the coast that I have anchored in or tied up in. I have no agenda but to point out that perhaps Bimini isn't for you, but your description is a broad brush. The island is 5 1/2 miles long, perhaps you need to see more before you condemn the whole place as a trash covered rat hole, something it is definately not.
Old 31-05-2013, 08:45   #65

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
I think Ram asked a fair question and the answer is "Yes." He was not degrading the people or their friendliness, but rather making an honest observation. Old Bimini , not the new developments, has the potential to be a quaint Caribbean town with tremendous economic potential if they employed the services of a carpenter, painter, plumber and electrician. It sadly will never happen since the locals cannot see the connection between economic prosperity through tourism and a clean attractive town. The bars are grungy, the restaurants shabby and unclean(rats) and the streets and sidewalks lined with litter and garbage. Some may call this quaint or "native" but it really is the lack of motivation by the locals to improve their lot. They are happy the way they are and for me that's o.k., but they shouldn't expect anything other than the status quo.
Disclaimer: I have never been to Bimini, but I have spent some time in a large portion of the Bahamas. I see this same phenomenon in most of the Bahamas. Many of the settlements have that run down look. There are historical reasons for this that are probably best left to another thread.

What struck us upon seeing the Bahamas is that the islands were not what we were expecting. They are nothing like the Caribbean, lush and green. Physically, they are not that beautiful once you go inland from the beach. The water and sea life are breathtaking, but the land largely is not IMO.

Having said that, the people we ran into were always friendly and welcoming, even in the most destitute areas. They seem to be happy and content despite their circumstances, and really just don't seem to have the ambition to change their lot. Maybe that is part of the charm.

Do we love the Bahamas? Yes. Do we plan to go back? Hell, yes. We understand that it's not like home. Discovering places that are different is part of the fun of cruising.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 13:51   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
Disclaimer: I have never been to Bimini, but I have spent some time in a large portion of the Bahamas. I see this same phenomenon in most of the Bahamas. Many of the settlements have that run down look. There are historical reasons for this that are probably best left to another thread.

What struck us upon seeing the Bahamas is that the islands were not what we were expecting. They are nothing like the Caribbean, lush and green. Physically, they are not that beautiful once you go inland from the beach. The water and sea life are breathtaking, but the land largely is not IMO.

Having said that, the people we ran into were always friendly and welcoming, even in the most destitute areas. They seem to be happy and content despite their circumstances, and really just don't seem to have the ambition to change their lot. Maybe that is part of the charm.

Do we love the Bahamas? Yes. Do we plan to go back? Hell, yes. We understand that it's not like home. Discovering places that are different is part of the fun of cruising.

Scott
Thanks for a very well worded post. I agree totally.
Old 31-05-2013, 14:32   #67

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

The water is the main attraction for me. Not many places with water like that in the world.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 15:04   #68

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
Your thoughts and criticism are exactly what I hear from every tin horned cruisers that comes through, although the younger ones will often agree that Bimini ain't no Abacos or Georgetown, and we're glad of that. I travel every year up and down the east coast from NYC to Bimini, spending summers north (May to Sept) and winters south. I have over 23000 miles traveled on the east coast of the US and will not trade Bimini for one of the small towns along the coast that I have anchored in or tied up in. I have no agenda but to point out that perhaps Bimini isn't for you, but your description is a broad brush. The island is 5 1/2 miles long, perhaps you need to see more before you condemn the whole place as a trash covered rat hole, something it is definately not.
The Tin Horn Cruiser responds to the seasoned All Knowing Cruiser:

William Turner in "The Rescue of the Romish Fox," in 1545 states:

"Byrdes of on kynde and color
Flok and flye allwayes together"

Modern English translation: Birds of a feather flock together.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 15:04   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Everyplace I go I'm able to find a rat or a cockroach or I can find the bunnies and the butterflies.
Old 31-05-2013, 15:37   #70
CLOD

Boat: none

which type of bunnies???
Old 31-05-2013, 15:40   #71

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...hop...hop...hop...hey, what's up doc?...errr...Don?
Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 15:49   #72
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepmtl View Post
The water is the main attraction for me. Not many places with water like that in the world.
Yeah, if you like the gin-clear stuff. There's a reason all the old James Bond movies were shot there.
Old 31-05-2013, 15:59   #73

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

It's better in the Bahamas.....
or so I was told.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 16:05   #74

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Bahamas' outer islands where I should be!
Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 16:15   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
which type of bunnies???

The ones that some people see as rats!

Tags
Bimini Islands