Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-04-2012, 17:48   #31
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: IS Bimini a Run down dump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Please accept my apologies. I did not mean "you" as in you Ram but rather anyone reading. I even stated that at the end of my comment. Again, I am sorry that it appears to you, Ram, that I was trying to slam you in any way. That was not my intention. I wish you well in your future endeavors.
And Im sorry to respond the way i did !!

Old 06-04-2012, 19:00   #32
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

It seemed to me that Bimini is one of those places where mainlanders' grandiose dreams and big plans go to die. You can see the evidence, all over. So close to the mega-millions of S. Florida, it must be so tempting as an investment "opportunity." But, the occasional Cat 4/5 dwarfs and destroys all that money, so easily.

For myself, I found it wonderful, but you have to get out of the cloistered areas for the sportfishers and cruisers. Walk around, talk to people, get on "island time", spend some time and then you'll see a bit more of what it has to offer. For example, I spent a couple of days with a local teacher/artist, Ashley Saunders, that were simply wonderful. If you show some interest and are willing to spend a bit of time and not rush him, you can hear a lot of history and great stories. If you're also willing to do some digging, troweling, or have a bit of construction or artistic skill, you can also get an up close and personal view of a unique artist. His home is his art and it's truly something. Bimini Bahamas, Ashley Saunder's Dolphin House

On the other hand, if you really like Ft. Lauderdale and are going to the Bahamas, then you might want to check in at the Cat Cay Club, not far to the south, or Chub Cay in the Berrys. Not my cup of tea, but "different strokes..." and all that.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 19:15   #33
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

We cleared into the Bahamas in Bimini on Saturday, March 31 - about 3:30 PM, just a week ago. Easy, quick, friendly officials. No overtime charges, no hassle - and late on a Saturday afternoon! We have never in our travels in the Western Caribbean been treated so courteously on a Saturday afternoon. We only stayed a day, and it was Sunday, so not much was open, but we enjoyed walking the beautiful beach, the wreck, the hurricane abandoned homes, the war memorial and the water colors.

Would we go spend a season in Bimini, probably not. But as a check in spot it was perfect for us.

http://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 22:03   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
.....go to the end of the world bar and enjoy
Do they have a new pizza oven yet?
Old 07-04-2012, 03:26   #35

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Do they have a new pizza oven yet?
not sure,,,,,don't remember much,,,either getting old or we had a great time at the bar,,,not sure which,,,,,but nobody fell in last time I was there and the adults had a great time swimming in the kiddie pool
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07   #36
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Interesting how people plan for years, dream, and finally spend tons of money on a boat and re-fits just to get away from it all. Then when they get there they wonder where it's at. If you haven't discovered Miss Barbras, Fly burgers next to the best conch salad place, heavy handed Bettys Pina Coladas, the tiles of the big game fish in the overgrowth, the school and the help they need, how to kill and cook Lion fish, the Bimini road, the haunted light house just north of Bimini, then the forest for the trees thing applies and staying inside of the Big Game club with the rest of the pocket book tourists is recommended.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:19   #37

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Hmmm. I, too, visited Bimini for the first time after much cruising in other parts of the Bahamas and Caribbean. I was pleasantly surprised by Bimini and would be glad to go back any time. We stayed at Weech's marina, which is delightfully... is rustic the word? laid back? out-island? Maybe that gave it all the right ambiance. Or maybe this is just a case of different strokes for different folks. Bimini is actually one of my favorite Bahamas islands, now.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01   #38
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

I can honestly say I have only a very vague memory of "Heavy Handed Betty's" drinks! But, that memory is that they were the best I've ever had.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:30   #39

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane.Joy View Post
Yes, Bimini IS a run down dump. Just back from the Bahamas - spent three months in the Abacos and one night in Bimini. Not enough time in the Abacos; too much time in Bimini. Bimini has a weird sport-fisher vibe that we didn't appreciate.
GEEEE Jane Joy, you should change your name to Debbie Downer. Sorry that my island, the one where we have spent many years, is a DUMP. Sorry it isn't just like the Abacos where it's sort of almost like Stuart Florida. Sorry that you stayed a WHOLE NIGHT and disparage both north and south Bimini in a pen stroke. What I am NOT sorry about is that you aren't coming back, please don't.

Bimini has:
1. One of the most beautiful pieces of water in all the Bahamas.
2. Real grocery stores where the owners will order anything you want at reasonable prices
3. Easy access to repairs etc via Miami
4. No complainers, no whiners.
5. Cheap marinas
6. The nicest check in in the Bahamas
7. Two liquor stores, yes two!
8. Plenty of good restaurants
9. Really nice locals
10. Lots and lots of places to explore, with beautiful beaches, mangroves full of cool wildlife.
11. There has never been a direct hit from a hurricane here. Must be the location.

Now don't you feel bad that you said those things?
NO, Bimini is NOT a run down dump. But if you think so, please don't come back.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48   #40

I always find Bimini and its people interesting and the town quite pleasant, though I have run into some Americans in the marinas that were less so. Sure, it isn't like the Out Islands, but does every place have to be the same? For that matter, I almost always find the good parts of wherever I go, and I avoid the parts I don't like. No need to spend much time there if it is not to your liking--that's one of the great things about cruising.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52   #41
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
Hmmm. I, too, visited Bimini for the first time after much cruising in other parts of the Bahamas and Caribbean. I was pleasantly surprised by Bimini and would be glad to go back any time. We stayed at Weech's marina, which is delightfully... is rustic the word? laid back? out-island? Maybe that gave it all the right ambiance. Or maybe this is just a case of different strokes for different folks. Bimini is actually one of my favorite Bahamas islands, now.
Almost exactly what I was planning to type!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:24   #42
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

What I like about Bimini is watching the noobs arrive:

First visit the authorities to check in: all long faces, much protest about costs etc. Next they go for a walk and here is the disapproving looks from the missus when she spots the local ladies and bars, while the eyes of hubbie are sparkling from expectation: for him, the more run down it looks, the higher the expectations while for her, the higher the worries

Then at night when you see pockets of hubbies forming outside out of the way a bit, we know they got their hands on the pot and it doesn't take long before their wives need to pull them away from bars and local women etc. The next day it's all red eyes and coffee

It must be that pot, alcohol and sex are still outlawed for much or even most of the USA, because they act the same in Amsterdam or other places where it's all available legally

Old 06-04-2013, 08:48   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We really like Bimini and spent a fair amount of time there on this trip. We posted it on our blog,
The Trawler Beach House: Finally Bahamas Bound The Trawler Beach House: Hangin' In Bimini

The Bahamas isn't south Florida so if that's what a boater is looking for, they should probably cruise south Florida. The great adventure in cruising is experiencing different cultures and meeting the people. We found the locals in Bimini very friendly and always ready to offer help or advise. Sometimes the experience is diminished by our own attitudes. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:56   #44
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Then at night when you see pockets of hubbies forming outside out of the way a bit, we know they got their hands on the pot and it doesn't take long before

It must be that pot, alcohol and sex are still outlawed for much or even most of the USA, because they act the same in Amsterdam or other places where it's all available legally

F'ing classic Jedi! I have seen this so many times in so many places, but never so well put!

I see this in Trinidad as well...too funny.

Guess we all need our sneak a toke sometimes....

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:35   #45

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

I sailed to Bimini in 1978 when I was in college. Our sailing club took a bus down to Miami from southern Illinois and chartered a couple of Morgan 41s for spring break. We sailed to Bimini and some of the smaller cays. It cost us $150 each for the whole trip. We dove for conch and lobsters and drank cheap rum. This thread made me dig out my old pictures. I remember it as such a great place. Nice folks, beautiful beaches, fun bars. I remember a bar called The Complete Angler ? and The end of the world saloon. There were some real characters in Bimini. I haven't been there since. I'm sure it has changed a lot but so have a lot of places. I will probably never go back but have some great memories of Bimini.

Tags
Bimini Islands

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: