Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2016, 18:53   #76

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Re: Is anyone crossing the Atlantic heading west? Can anyone rescue ADA

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
It was meant to tickle your funny boan.

And you are right your response to an obvious joke is sad, really. Ok I admit it was not a particular good joke, but ...
No, your comment was not meant to tickle anybodys funny (boan). Nice try to slither out from under it though.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 19:10   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I think this whole discussion is ludicrous. I have an 8 ton sailboat that I single hand. If I die at sea, well, where is MY plan for someone to clean up my trash? With the lights on and no engine running, the batteries will die in a few days. So totally unlit floating around in the ocean at night. I have insurance, is my insurance going to pay anyone if they hit me in the middle of the ocean, cause I'm floating around dead? Seems unlikely. Sure, the kids launched an unmanned object intentionally, but get past the intention and every single person on this forum is potentially placing a far larger, far more dangerous object adrift at sea.

And it happens all the time. What is our response on this forum.

"Our thoughts are with the family."
"Poor guy, but a great way to go, doing what he enjoys."

I don't recall ever reading such vitriolic trash about "where was his plan for cleaning up behind himself."

Just sayin...
Dying at sea is a tragedy and in now way equates to a poorly planned launch of an autonomous sailing vessel without a proper strategy of retrieval. And what is your cause for rudeness in words like "vitriolic trash" concerning the subject at hand. Please provide an example. Does this topic offend you? Are you planning this type of exit strategy?
Old 31-08-2016, 19:20   #78

Quote:
I think this whole discussion is ludicrous. I have an 8 ton sailboat that I single hand. If I die at sea, well, where is MY plan for someone to clean up my trash? With the lights on and no engine running, the batteries will die in a few days. So totally unlit floating around in the ocean at night. I have insurance, is my insurance going to pay anyone if they hit me in the middle of the ocean, cause I'm floating around dead? Seems unlikely. Sure, the kids launched an unmanned object intentionally, but get past the intention and every single person on this forum is potentially placing a far larger, far more dangerous object adrift at sea.

I don't recall ever reading such vitriolic trash about "where was his plan for cleaning up behind himself."

Just sayin...
Now that you point that out I am out raged. The nerve of those dead people. Is that really what they mean by zombie attack the dead out to get more dead.

Where is the sarcasm button?

Even the folks who complain about the governments legislating safety at the expense of liberty are up set and condemn college students with good intentions. The solo sailor with out AIS is more significant threat then ADA. Life is not with out risk folks get over it and choose your battles. I guess this is why there are fences and signs everywhere warning us not to fall off the cliff, feed the lion swim with the crocodiles etc etc. You will all be alright.

I am still selling ADA collision insurance 100 dollars a year. Any takers? Anyone?
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 19:25   #79

My point was that the original vitriolic trash (airheaded children or some such vitriolic trash) had to do with "where is their recovery plan", laws violated because of no watch, etc.

Where is YOUR recovery plan if your boat goes adrift (for whatever reason)? Where is YOUR watch with no one aboard? Answer, YOU don't have one and neither do I. Nor anyone else on this forum. But WE are allowed to not have a plan because if it happens it is "accidental" or "a tragedy"? They are NOT allowed because it is intentional.

Ummmm OK. Whatever you say.

You do at least acknowledge that if your boat is adrift, the RESULT is the same as their boat being adrift. Well, except YOUR boat is way bigger and more dangerous.

I acknowledged that theirs was "intentional" whereas ours would be "accidental" but don't rag on them for "no plan" if you don't have a plan either.

Which you almost certainly don't.

BTW, I have a little widget called a Delorm InReach. This little widget sends signals to a satellite every 10 minutes. Whomever can track me and my boat, anywhere in the world. I have made arrangements for an isolated 12v battery to power this little thing (and only this little thing). My boat will put put location data every 10 minutes for a loooooong time. With a solar panel to charge that battery, pretty much indefinitely.

So at least I have a plan for someone knowing where my boat is and can come get me if the stink hits the fan.

And BTW apparently theirs has something similar.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 19:33   #80

Quote:
My point was that the original vitriolic trash (airheaded children or some such vitriolic trash) had to do with "where is their recovery plan", laws violated because of no watch, etc.

Where is YOUR recovery plan if your boat goes adrift (for whatever reason)? Where is YOUR watch with no one aboard? Answer, YOU don't have one and neither do I. Nor anyone else on this forum. But WE are allowed to not have a plan because if it happens it is "accidental" or "a tragedy"? They are NOT allowed because it is intentional.

Ummmm OK. Whatever you say.

You do at least acknowledge that if your boat is adrift, the RESULT is the same as their boat being adrift. Well, except YOUR boat is way bigger and more dangerous.

I acknowledged that theirs was "intentional" whereas ours would be "accidental" but don't rag on them for "no plan" if you don't have a plan either.

Which you almost certainly don't.

BTW, I have a little widget called a Delorm InReach. This little widget sends signals to a satellite every 10 minutes. Whomever can track me and my boat, anywhere in the world. I have made arrangements for an isolated 12v battery to power this little thing (and only this little thing). My boat will put put location data every 10 minutes for a loooooong time. With a solar panel to charge that battery, pretty much indefinitely.

So at least I have a plan for someone knowing where my boat is and can come get me if the stink hits the fan.

And BTW apparently theirs has something similar.
But alas, I do have a plan. Its called an insurance policy. It covers unintentional events like this. I would like to spend time telling you about this unheard of thing called "insurance policy", but I digress.........
Old 31-08-2016, 19:38   #81

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:

Just sayin...
Old 31-08-2016, 19:41   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
No, your comment was not meant to tickle anybodys funny (boan). Nice try to slither out from under it though.
Singular? You have just one? Why I'm not surprised ...

Now you are a mind reader too, knowing exactly what my intentions were?

Wow, that says a lot about you.

Sad, really.
Old 31-08-2016, 19:43   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterrat10 View Post
Now that you point that out I am out raged. The nerve of those dead people. Is that really what they mean by zombie attack the dead out to get more dead.

Where is the sarcasm button?

Even the folks who complain about the governments legislating safety at the expense of liberty are up set and condemn college students with good intentions. The solo sailor with out AIS is more significant threat then ADA. Life is not with out risk folks get over it and choose your battles. I guess this is why there are fences and signs everywhere warning us not to fall off the cliff, feed the lion swim with the crocodiles etc etc. You will all be alright.

I am still selling ADA collision insurance 100 dollars a year. Any takers? Anyone?
No but for 35$ per insured person I'll be your underwriter.
Old 31-08-2016, 19:55   #84

Quote:
Singular? You have just one? Why I'm not surprised ...

Now you are a mind reader too, knowing exactly what my intentions were?

Wow, that says a lot about you.

Sad, really.
Your prior comments are already recorded on this thread. No further comment from me is necessary concerning your intentions. Readers can judge for themselves without your backpedaling.
Old 31-08-2016, 19:57   #85

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13096156_473643496161858_5851374179835684365_n.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	130380  
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 20:00   #86

Quote:
But alas, I do have a plan. Its called an insurance policy. It covers unintentional events like this. I would like to spend time telling you about this unheard of thing called "insurance policy", but I digress.........
And you really think any University setting a autonomous vessel free is not insured?

I can't even drive my own car up to the telescopes of my university because of insurance reasons. And I have to do do this at least 10 times per month. I'm using a car provided by the university, every time filling in an endless number of forms. I can't even get a lift from someone up there as I have to have an escape vehicle close by in case of a wildfire.

All universities are the same in regards to safety regulations.

And you really think they let cross ADA the Atlantic without insurance?

Interesting ...
Old 31-08-2016, 20:09   #87

Quote:
And you really think any University setting a autonomous vessel free is not insured?

I can't even drive my own car up to the telescopes of my university because of insurance reasons. And I have to do do this at least 10 times per month. I'm using a car provided by the university, every time filling in endless number of forms. I can't even get a lift from someone up there as I have to have an escape vehicle close by in case of a wildfire.

All universities are the same in regards to safety regulations.

And you really think they let cross ADA the Atlantic without insurance?

Interesting ...
All I care about is the University picking up after itself. Please try to stay on topic. If you wish to start another thread concerning insurance I will be glad to frustrate you there too. Hugs and kisses.
Old 31-08-2016, 20:11   #88

Quote:
Your prior comments are already recorded on this thread. No further comment from me is necessary concerning your intentions. Readers can judge for themselves without your backpedaling.
Backpaddling? I'm still tickle you bone and you still answering me dead serious.

You know GoingWalkabout and I do this for a while now and we have fun doing it. We are still looking forward to a bottle of white and a heated discussion.

You really take this here too serious.

Here is what this thread is about. University students asking the sailing community to save this experiment.

Not more, not less.

And there are those elements in the sailing community who make this out of this simple request: "How dare to put another navigational hazard in the middle of the Atlantic."

This is not a discussion about navigational hazards in the Atlantic or as a matter of fact somewhere else.

As a sailor you know that ADA is the least of your worries when you out there.

Btw. I would even go far out of my way to pick ADA up and help those students - would not even think twice. With the spares and tools I had on my old boat I would most likely be able to fix her and send her on her way.

You present yourself here as a bitter stubborn old man without any sense humor, who says Yes to No all the time and sticks to it no matter what! Maybe you want to come across as such, maybe not ...
Old 31-08-2016, 20:27   #89

Quote:
Backpaddling? I'm still tickle you bone and you still answering me dead serious.

You know GoingWalkabout and I do this for a while now and we have fun doing it. We are still looking forward to a bottle of white and a heated discussion.

You really take this here too serious.

Here is what this thread is about. University students asking the sailing community to save this experiment.

Not more, not less.

And there are those elements in the sailing community who make this out of this simple request: "How dare to put another navigational hazard in the middle of the Atlantic."

This is not a discussion about navigational hazards in the Atlantic or as a matter of fact somewhere else.

As a sailor you know that ADA is the least of your worries when you out there.

Btw. I would even go far out of my way to pick ADA up and help those students - would not even think twice. With the spares and tools I had on my old boat I would most likely be able to fix her and send her on her way.

You present yourself here as a bitter stubborn old man without any sense humor, who says Yes to No all the time and sticks to it no matter what! Maybe you want to come across as such, maybe not ...
Hey look, if you give up your position on this subject I will gladly accept without presumptions. Your not first person who couldn't admit defeat without a flogging. Nice try though.
Old 31-08-2016, 21:36   #90

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
In case some thought my earlier posting was over the top or paranoid read this article that was published today concerning Roll-Royce push for drone ships.

The US NAVY has already deployed drone sub craft and their latest is a half submerged long range and large drone vessel.

Today in the Wall Street Journal.

Ship Operators Explore Autonomous Sailing - WSJ

British engine maker Rolls-Royce Holdings PLC is leading the Advanced Autonomous Waterborne Applications initiative involving other companies and universities. It foresees technologies long used to improve commercial airline operations migrating to ships. The group also is tapping know-how from those working on driverless cars to adapt for safe at-sea autonomous operations.

A future unmanned ship could resemble some of the most advanced combat drones. It would sport infrared detectors, high-resolution cameras and laser sensors to monitor its surroundings. The vast troves of data would be transmitted to command centers where staff do little more than monitor progress and ensure ships are operating at optimum speeds.

The consortium completed a study this year that concluded such vessels are feasible and offer savings.

Oskar Levander, vice president for innovation at Rolls-Royce’s marine unit, said moving toward greater autonomy and unmanned shipping could cut transport costs 22%. The bulk would come from lower staff costs, though such vessels also would be more fuel efficient by eliminating the need to carry equipment to support people onboard.

The first steps already are being taken. The Stella ferry, used in the Baltic and operated by Finferries, has been equipped with a variety of sensors including lasers and thermal cameras to assess whether such sensors could allow autonomous operations.

A critical step toward floating remotely controlled unmanned cargo ships on the oceans by 2030, and autonomous ones by 2035, is the ability to pass large amounts of data from ship to shore to ensure safe operations. For years, lack of affordable bandwidth has made that a challenge. A new generation of communications satellites is promising lower costs to transfer data.

Satellite-services company Inmarsat PLC this year launched its Fleet Xpress service to provide improved connectivity to ship operators. It combines high-bandwidth satellites with a more secure connection to guarantee vital safety connectivity. Ronald Spithout, president of Inmarsat’s maritime business, said the connection will let operators monitor engine and other ship functions more closely to enable enhanced automation.

Rolls-Royce, no longer affiliated with the luxury car maker, is betting that a push to smarter vessels will lift the fortunes of its struggling marine business. The prolonged slump in crude prices has led to a sharp drop in demand for sophisticated offshore vessels. Marine sales at Rolls-Royce fell 23% last year after declining 16% the prior year when oil prices started to slump.

Oil prices may rebound, but the demand for the gold-plated vessels used to service oil and gas rigs far offshore may never fully recover, said Mikael Makinen, president of Rolls-Royce’s marine division. Rolls-Royce is betting smart ships will be a new growth market.

The company is already in talks with operators it wouldn’t name to start trials of more autonomous vessels.

Automating shipping faces barriers, though. “There are a vast range of safety, security, navigational and legal challenges to be solved before crewless container vessels can be considered in our fleet,” said Maersk’s Mr. Laursen.

The International Maritime Organization, the arm of the United Nations overseeing global shipping, prohibits ship operations without crew. The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, known as Solas, requires all ships to be “sufficiently and efficiently manned,” the IMO said.

Safety rules emerged in 1914 in the wake of the sinking of the RMS Titanic two years earlier, which killed more than 1,500 passengers on the ship’s maiden trans-Atlantic voyage. Current rules, completed in 1974, have been adapted for new technologies such as introducing mandatory requirements for electronic charts and automatic identification systems for ships. Proponents of greater autonomy hope the rules may be further relaxed.

Separately, it is unclear as of yet how security issues like piracy and the mandate to help distressed ships will be addressed for these ships

IMO spokeswoman Natasha Brown said the British government-sponsored Marine Autonomous Systems Regulatory Working Group, set up in 2014, is reviewing pertinent regulations to potentially propose changes.

James Fanshawe, chairman of the working group, said it hopes to convince the international organization to pave the way for autonomous vessels before the end of the decade.
Basically we see this advanced technology being used for the war machines, tech for more war. Barely a suggestion for anything else im afraid. Shame.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, rescue