Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2016, 15:03   #46

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Is anyone crossing the Atlantic heading west? Can anyone rescue ADA

If you think the UBC Cdn. "surfboard" is dangerous-
wait til you meet one of these- Navy Starts Testing Drone Ships Known as ACTUV | Digital Trends

But of course,this is a US Navy vessel-entitled to go anywhere,anytime,secretly & stealthily-without lights or any other "warning" COLREGS gear-if it so pleases.

Other navies & shipping companies won't be far behind IMHO.

I don't like flying,sailing,walking,or any other drones either-for many reasons..

But it will (is) happen(ing)

Welcome to the "brave,new world"

Len
Old 31-08-2016, 15:07   #47

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIssue View Post
Sheesh, It's amazing how many A-holes pop up with their opinions on this site. It's gotten so that you can hardly use the site as it was intended any longer. The post is someone asking for a hand with towing the craft back, not your stupid paranoid self important opinions.

Silence is better than bull$#!t
Old 31-08-2016, 15:10   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Yes, robots are going to be a part of our future, commercial forces will certainly make that the case, and make it happen faster than most of us are comfortable with. Likely well before the technology is actually ready. Be mad about that, not at the academic institutions trying to improve the technology.
Be warned! Skynet is real and it is coming. If anyone needs a tinfoil hat send me a PM. I sell them, Guaranteed Australian Handmande, for 1000$ each!
Old 31-08-2016, 15:13   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Are you aware of the death of a Tesla driver who was using the cars auto navigation system. Other autonomous related deaths have been recorded.
Are you familiar with the case? I guess not.

For someone who claims loudly to be member of Mensa and an acclaimed scientist you are very anti progress.

How many people die on our roads every day because of human error?
Old 31-08-2016, 15:15   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheCoop View Post
Cool project!
Let's hope the keyboard warriors have had their say now so we can get back on topic and help locate this thing!
https://track.ubctransat.com/tracking
Old 31-08-2016, 15:37   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Boat, surfboard, fishing gear, whatever, we are all expected to clean up after ourselves.
Oh, you mean like this?
Abandoned Cruise Ship Ocean Dream Sinks Off Thailand – gCaptain
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 15:41   #52

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Be warned! Skynet is real and it is coming. If anyone needs a tinfoil hat send me a PM. I sell them, Guaranteed Australian Handmande, for 1000$ each!
Typical predictive programmed response. Maybe the collective group think can chime in and praise your wit. Sad really.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 15:50   #53

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Paddle board???

ADA is 5 metres long, must have considerable mass in the way of batteries, solar panels, electronics and servos. Still not quite a torpedo, but not a featherweight SUP either.

They proudly claim it to have been making over 12 knots. I doubt that it would sink any cruising boat, but quite possibly do some damage if it T-boned you at that sort of speed.

I'm not adverse to the idea of autonomous vessels, but I'm not so happy with them not even bothering with running lights and high vis sails. Seems that such simple accommodations to the COLREGS would not have been too difficult.

And folks, I'm not so happy with the name calling either...

Jim
Old 31-08-2016, 15:55   #54

Boat: a sailing boat

Frankly, I did not know that according to international salvage law an abandoned vessel becomes the property of the person who takes it under tow and brings it back to land.

Frankly, I was not aware of existence of international salvage law!

One learns something everyday.

Can someone send me a pointer to relevant international convention?

This much said, too bad I cannot help. I hope the vessel will be recovered, fixed and the experiment repeated successfully at a later date.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 16:15   #55

The ADA website:

https://ubcsailbot.org/
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 16:31   #56

Wow with all the risk and worries in the world what a crazy one to jump onto. What are the odds? Atlantic Ocean is 106,400,000 square kilometers. Lets say North Atlantic is 60% of that at 63,840,000 square kilometers. Lets say this little thing is 50 square meters and average cruising sailboat is 50 square meters. Therefore two objects both traveling in 63,840,000 square kilometers that are both 0.000005 Kilometers square kilometers. Heck I might have a better chance of winning the lottery while getting struck by lighting. Now back to the shipping containers and we still have low odds but they increased significantly along with possible damage.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 16:49   #57

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterrat10 View Post
Wow with all the risk and worries in the world what a crazy one to jump onto. What are the odds? Atlantic Ocean is 106,400,000 square kilometers. Lets say North Atlantic is 60% of that at 63,840,000 square kilometers. Lets say this little thing is 50 square meters and average cruising sailboat is 50 square meters. Therefore two objects both traveling in 63,840,000 square kilometers that are both 0.000005 Kilometers square kilometers. Heck I might have a better chance of winning the lottery while getting struck by lighting. Now back to the shipping containers and we still have low odds but they increased significantly along with possible damage.
Equating probability with responsibility? Please validate.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 16:54   #58

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Paddle board???

ADA is 5 metres long, must have considerable mass in the way of batteries, solar panels, electronics and servos. Still not quite a torpedo, but not a featherweight SUP either.

They proudly claim it to have been making over 12 knots. I doubt that it would sink any cruising boat, but quite possibly do some damage if it T-boned you at that sort of speed.

I'm not adverse to the idea of autonomous vessels, but I'm not so happy with them not even bothering with running lights and high vis sails. Seems that such simple accommodations to the COLREGS would not have been too difficult.

And folks, I'm not so happy with the name calling either...

Jim

Jim, your point about name calling is spot on! GoingWalkabout, Ann and others raised some legitimate legal questions about this project, and then got roundly attacked and belittled for it. I'm all for new technology, as long as it's done responsibly. I have questions in that regard about this project. But those who dare to question it get nothing but disdain in return. Very sad state of affairs...

How much does Ada weigh, anyway? It needed a substantial crane to lift it into the water, so it's no lightweight. I'd hate to hit that, or be hit by it...

-David

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 17:12   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
Equating probability with responsibility? Please validate.
I know I did not give the actual odds. There are a ton of variables that would need to be added to get anywhere close but I thought the extreme difference in numbers made it clear the probability was very low for two objects the size of 0.000005 square kilometers to cross paths in almost 64 million square kilometers. If anyone crossing the Atlantic would like to buy insurance from me if they should happen to run into ADA I will get my lawyer and insurance adjusters to write up a contract. I might even be willing to work on some more accurate odds.
Old 31-08-2016, 17:22   #60

I do agree with this point. Though I do not know if this is definitely true or not. Just because one picture shows possibly other wise does not mean that the picture was not taken with off shelf gear for testing or racing under supervision. Maybe for the crossing this was included. I am hardly going to loose sleep over this. Lots of other stuff I can control will rise to the top of my thoughts.

Tags
head, rescue