Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2016, 21:39   #91

Boat: Landlocked right now.
Re: Is anyone crossing the Atlantic heading west? Can anyone rescue ADA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
Hey look, if you give up your position on this subject I will gladly accept without presumptions. Your not first person who couldn't admit defeat without a flogging. Nice try though.
Defeat? I did not know that winning was your goal.

In this case - you win. Happy?

Old 31-08-2016, 21:40   #92

Boat: Coast 30

Gosh! I went to the marina for a couple of days, and got back to find this? what a hornets nest! what a storm in a teacup!

Actually I asked David to mount all this technology on my yacht because it would allow me to sleep at night. but he said it has to be tested & proved first. because of the liability IF it did not work. The other side to this is that IF there was a human on board there might have been a chance to repair the steering mechanism.

My only concern was that perhaps they know more about control than boat building, I did try to get a naval architect with computer experience to volunteer to help them. but that did not happen, So beyond that attempt I am not involved in this project. The only oversight was not planning for a higher sailing speed and designing the rudder servos to take it. The on-board computers are still trying to tell it to get back on course.

The on board computers have AIS and direct the vessel to avoid other vessels. The usefulness of this technology would be that it could prove far more reliable for accurate navigation in extreme conditions than most humans can achieve.

As for drifting mid Atlantic. What happens to yachts after a coast Guard rescue? They lift you off with helicopter IF you are lucky. and your yacht is left to drift until is sinks. At least this one is telling everyone where it is. As for any small minded person claiming salvage rights. The project does not have any money to pay for recovery: so If you can not be big enough to Volunteer? Please leave it alone. when it drifts closer to land surely some one will be big hearted enough to bring it in and give it back?
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 21:59   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Are you familiar with the case? I guess not.

For someone who claims loudly to be member of Mensa and an acclaimed scientist you are very anti progress.

How many people die on our roads every day because of human error?
I never claimed loudly. I am not anti progress. And not all things that can be done should necessarily be done. But we live in a world were ethics in science is at its lowest level in our modern age. Good example is the animal human gene splicing now taking place. To warn of unintended consequences is not being anti progress. It just may mean anti a particular ill conceived scientific project that has more downside than upside.

The old dying on the roads argument. I've heard that as a defense for so many things of late. Gee, why even talk about terrorism since more people are killed on the roads each year. Why talk about Zika because more people perish in car accidents.

First you use a deliberately deceptive word turn of words to say something that was not true and you end in a morally bankrupt argument. You must be a great scientist.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 22:23   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
Gosh! I went to the marina for a couple of days, and got back to find this? what a hornets nest! what a storm in a teacup!

Actually I asked David to mount all this technology on my yacht because it would allow me to sleep at night. but he said it has to be tested & proved first. because of the liability IF it did not work. The other side to this is that IF there was a human on board there might have been a chance to repair the steering mechanism.

My only concern was that perhaps they know more about control than boat building, I did try to get a naval architect with computer experience to volunteer to help them. but that did not happen, So beyond that attempt I am not involved in this project. The only oversight was not planning for a higher sailing speed and designing the rudder servos to take it. The on-board computers are still trying to tell it to get back on course.

The on board computers have AIS and direct the vessel to avoid other vessels. The usefulness of this technology would be that it could prove far more reliable for accurate navigation in extreme conditions than most humans can achieve.

As for drifting mid Atlantic. What happens to yachts after a coast Guard rescue? They lift you off with helicopter IF you are lucky. and your yacht is left to drift until is sinks. At least this one is telling everyone where it is. As for any small minded person claiming salvage rights. The project does not have any money to pay for recovery: so If you can not be big enough to Volunteer? Please leave it alone. when it drifts closer to land surely some one will be big hearted enough to bring it in and give it back?
Thank you for the update. I wish your team well as I do believe that there can be positive things for the general sailing and boating world from R&D in navigational and yes even collision avoidance technology.

What I don't like is looking into the future of a lot of drone vessels floating out there posing a threat to others. So my comments were directed about more where this is all going and raising the issues as I see them. Reading the article concerning what Rolls Royce is doing with their drone ship project they themselves recognize the legal and regulatory issues that I raised.

I know you guys are on a shoe string budget but if you get your vessel back and you plan on doing this again i would hope you would at least put a radar deflector on the mast along with solar powered lights and one or two flashing lights. Solar powered auto at dark on are very cheap to buy these days.

It is a shame that this wasn't supervised better and its a shame that the input from your suggestion of a naval architect didn't happen.

Speaking for myself. If I found it I would certainly return it or at least bring it back to a shore and advise your team where it is. I think most people would.

I would also encourage your students to open up a discussion with both your legal faculty and social science faculty about the efficacy of drone shipping per se. And this is not a suggestion so as to come up with road blocks but l do think there should be more discussion of the social, ethical and even legal aspects of all drone technology.

For me what is obvious is that new laws need to be drawn up for international shipping. Also new laws need to be written to protect privacy from peeping toms and over reach government surveillance. Safe and free navigation of the high seas is a right. Technology should not impinge on existing rights but be developed and used in such a way that respects these rights.

Good luck with your recovery efforts. And good luck for society as we move into a brave new, new world.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 22:34   #95

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Quick! Check the Amendments to your Consitution! How DARE they break Amendment 116 "Right to Freely Have Every Wave to Myself".
Of course, its OK to have autonomous taxis in Washington DC from next July, but on our OCEAN??

And look where this 10 foot bit of plank is: Right in the MIDDLE of where so many sailors go! Directly between Newfoundland and whats that Leprechaun country called? Its a highway of cruising boats out there, a motorway, a turnpike, and autobahn... Even Boatman61 has cruised accross there back in 1850.

Signed,

DISGUSTED!
Yes , we'd like to put all those congressperson sand senators etc in those taxis so they don't miss any sessions.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 23:23   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I think this whole discussion is ludicrous. I have an 8 ton sailboat that I single hand. If I die at sea, well, where is MY plan for someone to clean up my trash? With the lights on and no engine running, the batteries will die in a few days. So totally unlit floating around in the ocean at night. I have insurance, is my insurance going to pay anyone if they hit me in the middle of the ocean, cause I'm floating around dead? Seems unlikely. Sure, the kids launched an unmanned object intentionally, but get past the intention and every single person on this forum is potentially placing a far larger, far more dangerous object adrift at sea.

And it happens all the time. What is our response on this forum.

"Our thoughts are with the family."
"Poor guy, but a great way to go, doing what he enjoys."

I don't recall ever reading such vitriolic trash about "where was his plan for cleaning up behind himself."

Just sayin...
Ummm ummm ... Order tends to chaos.. On the oceans it happens twice as fast.: whistling:
Old 31-08-2016, 23:42   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
And you really think any University setting a autonomous vessel free is not insured?

I can't even drive my own car up to the telescopes of my university because of insurance reasons. And I have to do do this at least 10 times per month. I'm using a car provided by the university, every time filling in an endless number of forms. I can't even get a lift from someone up there as I have to have an escape vehicle close by in case of a wildfire.

All universities are the same in regards to safety regulations.

And you really think they let cross ADA the Atlantic without insurance?

Interesting ...
It would be interesting if the said university could speak up !
They have a list of corporate sponsors as long as both your arms. But no money for a salvage plan ? Is there an insurance sponsor? I wonder what progressive ins co. would insure a drone boat, perhaps Lloyds ?
The money trail on THIS project should be very interesting I'm sure.
Old 01-09-2016, 00:03   #98

Lots of valid points made in the flogging thread.
Chats make the most sense to me.
Coastal could shed much more light on the subject of ADA in question.
Now it looks as tho Adox it tuggin on Coastal pant leg to take a dingy out to rescue ADA...
It's abeutiful day in the neighborhood .
Old 01-09-2016, 00:39   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Lots of valid points made in the flogging thread.
Chats make the most sense to me.
Coastal could shed much more light on the subject of ADA in question.
Now it looks as tho Adox it tuggin on Coastal pant leg to take a dingy out to rescue ADA...
It's abeutiful day in the neighborhood .
Sorry I'm on the wrong side of planet
Old 01-09-2016, 00:50   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I never claimed loudly. I am not anti progress. And not all things that can be done should necessarily be done. But we live in a world were ethics in science is at its lowest level in our modern age. Good example is the animal human gene splicing now taking place. To warn of unintended consequences is not being anti progress. It just may mean anti a particular ill conceived scientific project that has more downside than upside.

The old dying on the roads argument. I've heard that as a defense for so many things of late. Gee, why even talk about terrorism since more people are killed on the roads each year. Why talk about Zika because more people perish in car accidents.

First you use a deliberately deceptive word turn of words to say something that was not true and you end in a morally bankrupt argument. You must be a great scientist.
Not great, only average I would say.

Ill conceived projects are the speciality of the engineering department. Applied sciences, you know. Like ADA. As you know, I'm more in the other camp

But I have to admit I love our little brawls here on CF and can't wait to meet you with a bottle of white somewhere really nice .

Btw. we were comparing car accidents with human drivers with car accidents with computer drivers here. No terrorist, zirka or whatever comparisons.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:28   #101

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
. when it drifts closer to land surely some one will be big hearted enough to bring it in and give it back?
This was from coastalexplorer, the OP.

It could happen. We would, I think, can't speak for Jim, but I sure wish they had given greater thought to keeping it visible, night or day, without relying only on AIS, which not everyone has.

A.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:44   #102

Boat: PT-11

I think some of the criticism is over the top but it is a little annoying they put a GPS transponder on it for their own purposes but not an AIS for the benefit of others.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:52   #103

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,
Don't want to get into discussion without solution. It seems that this UFO (unidentified floating object) is not on common route to cross Atlantic. Plus it's hurrican season. Don't think you will find some one to rescue ADA.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:22   #104

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Carefully avoiding the moral argument, I wonder if this ADA that folks want to be towed back to civilization has... a towing bit of some sort, so that with some risk, a benevolent yottie could in fact make fast a tow line?

In case none of y ou have thought of the practicalities of the situation, getting a line on a small, self guided vessel of very low freeboard when operating from a cruising yacht isn't all that easy, especially if there is a sea running. And if it is doing anywhere near twelve knots, most of us couldn't even catch it!

Jim
Old 01-09-2016, 03:41   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, rescue