Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2007, 06:52   #1

Boat: S2 11.0A
Info on Bay of Campeche ?

Has anyone out there done any cruising in the Bay of Campeche? We are planning our next winter cruise and considering heading down that way since it is close to us in Texas.
Dave
S/V
Wind Dancer
Panama Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 20:09   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Dave
Has anyone out there done any cruising in the Bay of Campeche? We are planning our next winter cruise and considering heading down that way since it is close to us in Texas.
Dave
S/V
Wind Dancer
Just wondering if you ever did your sail to the Bay of Campeche. I'm interested in sailing from Texas to Isla Mujeres along the Mexican coast next fall or early winter.
Thanks,
Joe
s/v Wanderlust
Doonerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 22:22   #3

Boat: Boatless
We have been in Isla Mujeres and Puerto Morelos for 6 weeks on our boat and drove over to Campeche to see if it was worth sailing there.... Shallow and cloudy water...

The crystal clear water, snorkeling, diving, fishing and towns on the Caribbean side are so much nicer we decided it was not worth the effort.

Puerto Morelos 25 miles south of Cancun is one of the nicest places we have visited in the entire Caribbean...free moorings in a national marine park, delightful people and low marina rates.

puerto morelos - Búsqueda de Google

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 23:25   #4

Boat: Skookum 53'
I worked out of Del Carmen for a year 1998/1999 and it is a nice little area, however the main oilfields are 45nm offshore north from there and you can see the loom of the oil boom flares from the beach. I worked the oil field and oil spills were the norm not the exception. Personally I would steer clear at least until you get on towards Vera Cruz. This of course is ancient history so they may have cleaned things up in the last 11 years.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:57   #5

Boat: S2 11.0A
Doonerack,
No we never did the Bay of Campeche. I did lots of research and did not find anything to compel me to head that way. We did do Texas to Isla and points South last winter. Check out our travels at www.Koplinsailing.com. We are planning on going somewhere next winter. Possibly the Bahamas but haven't decided yet.
Panama Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 14:12   #6

Boat: Lagoon 40
Re: Info on Bay of Campeche ?

Has anyone recently sailed the Bay of Campeche? I see this is quite an old thread, but wonder if anyone has recent information? I have sailed direct from Pensacola to Isla Mujeres in the past. I am currently in south FL, and thinking of going to isla via Cuba, but is there a good return to the northern Gulf by going coastal? What's the availability of anchorages and/or marinas?

Any info appreciated!
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:47   #7

Boat: 1980 freedom 33 and 2005 hunter 41
Re: Info on Bay of Campeche ?

I am from puerto progreso, once every year we sail to the new harbor of campeche. The coast is very shallow, almost 6 to 10 feet from 2,3 miles offshore. The only niceting to see are several entrance ,like rivers but they are not, are like mangle entrance to see with your dinghy. Weather is nice and hot all year around and in winter you have to stay clear of the north cold and very strong winds that sometimes blow in the gulf zone.
captprogreso is offline   Reply With Quote