Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2012, 01:53   #31

Boat: Valiant 50
Re: In prison in St Lucia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I get damned sick and tired of third party insinuations about the professional ethics of people in my profession. Most journalists try desperately hard to get both sides of a story.

Really?
Old 24-12-2012, 02:18   #32

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Really?
Yes, really! And I have an inkling that I know a hell of a lot more journalists than do you.
Old 24-12-2012, 02:34   #33
cruiser

It sounds to me like your skin is a bit thin for your chosen profession.
Old 24-12-2012, 02:54   #34

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

We got boarded yesterday while we were ashore, but luckily I saw the bastard climbing up the anchor chain. I was livid, shouted at him from the shore to get the F*** off our boat etc, ..... so he did! All the people (couples, grannies, kids) having a picnic in the park were a little shocked by my language but there was no brandishing of weapons.

Better to start with a warning and then increase the level of force or simply hand over the cash / goods. I was ready with other options, but it was simply not necessary. You gun-toters who shoot first should practice your hand-to-hand fighting skills for the jail where you might end up one day... LOL

Old 24-12-2012, 03:08   #35

Boat: OEM, proportional

If the poor guy languishing in jail had had an anti-boarding net he would not have had to fight.

As to journos...there are few, but most are simply hacks that write whatever they think people will read and that the editor will let through. Respect to the real ones, and revulsion to the party-liners.
Old 24-12-2012, 03:14   #36

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
You gun-toters who shoot first
Funny, there aren't any here, as far as I can tell. Fishing? From what I've heard from the gunslinging sailors, they favour a quiet walk and a graduated brandishing of the bangstick...shock horror, if Mr Sneakthief had had a glimpse of a gun, it might have avoided the fisticuffs and swimming and whatnot. If he had had reasonable grounds to suspect the sailor was armed, he would perhaps have not even bothered trying to board and rob. But since in this world only criminals (private and government) are likely to have guns, or even the will to resist, he knew he had good chances of easy profit.
Old 24-12-2012, 03:39   #37

Boat: Lagoon 440

So what is his countries ambassader doing?
Old 24-12-2012, 04:08   #38

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Good question Auzee and I am sure you are a good journalist.

However, not all are and 2 words to support that theory is: FOX NEWS! ..
I am thinking theres a huge difference between news reporters and Journalists. Fox at least isnt just purely Liberal as almost all other medias in the US are. I think most only like reporting whats sensational not whats important and not always reality. Really hope this guy gets out and gets his boat back. So this guy was a known criminal bad guy. Had he not died would probably come back better armed. Always insert a knife or two first then push/ throw them over board. Wasp spray works great also though would probably kill them but makes it easier to get them overboard after....
Old 24-12-2012, 04:20   #39

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: In Prison in St Lucia

And have some ballast stones to sink anything floating too close to incriminate you..
Old 24-12-2012, 05:01   #40
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
In his shoes what course of action would you have recommended?
All the people boarded in the Caribbean, whilst on their own boats, have been unlocked and provided access.

Its hot and no one likes to close the companionway hatch at night so the beaze comes through. The cruisers are asleep and bad man swims up, or comes up by dinghy, canoe etc and gets on boat, comes below etc

Cruisers think they will wake up if someone gets on board. They dont till too late.

Each night i lock myself in with a custom made security screen that is difficult to breach and noisy to do so. It gives me time to light up the night with flares, and get on the VHF.

This screen type of thing is something i thoroughly recommend. It really is a ripper..

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 24-12-2012, 05:08   #41

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Did the dog paddle ...and got pooped!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
Old 24-12-2012, 05:25   #42
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Mark , that screen may help you sleep at night, but by looking at it,(and I could be wrong here) seems one good stiff kick with your weight behind it from a 200 pound man and its gone? Then what?
Old 24-12-2012, 05:29   #43
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Mark , that screen may help you sleep at night, but by looking at it,(and I could be wrong here) seems one good stiff kick with your weight behind it from a 200 pound man and its gone? Then what?
Look at it Ram.

Zoom right in.

Its armoured with pop rivets 2 per inch and each junction of the grille to the frame is riveted. As its not wide, nor high, its quite solid unlike a house door which flexes more.

A two hundred pound man will take three or four kicks to get in. Whilst waking the neighbourhood and the sleeping occupants.

Note the grille can let things go flying OUT while he is kicking in.

Also with the cockpit light the grille is clearly seen from the water. Thats a deterrant... Easier to go for another boat.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 24-12-2012, 05:55   #44
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Going off the OP original thread. But it always seems to me that all this boat security stuff comes down to the word "reasonable". I feel things like hatchway screens are "reasonable". I find a lot of the other stuff like assault rifles aren't "reasonable".

People boarding your boat intending to cause harm aren't reasonable people. But it isn't very reasonable to be expecting them and planning for them.

Thieves are opportunists looking to take what are reasonable risks and small "reasonable" precautions are all that is needed as they will go look for someone else to rob. I think a lot of the wasp spray etc people are just going to change a reasonable thief into an unreasonable assailant.
Old 24-12-2012, 05:57   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Then you will be in jail for the rest of your life.

What do you not understand about "the rest of your life"?

You can NOT go killing people because some poor black person is trying to steal a bucket off your deck.

Now, the "rest of your life" means how long?

You can not kill people!

Remember if you kill some Caribbean local and are charged with murder and you finaly get to court in a years time hence... Who are the jury going to be? 12 cruisers? Or 12 local people who know, or know of the decesaeseds family?

So instead of blowing their frigging heads off you use capsican spray, or a flare gun or something non leathal. Not a shot gun.

Lastly, go pull up a Google Image search of the inside of a USA jail. Now do a search on a third world jail. Do you really want a year in the third world jail while you try to prove your "rights"?

An opinion articulated by someone who's obviously never been robbed. Hopefully, it will never happen to him, but after it does... his feelings towards the thieves will certainly change.

A "Poor black person is trying to steal a bucket off your deck." Yeah right.

But I admit, the security cage companionway entrance is a good idea. Run and hide strategy... not so good.
Closed Thread