Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 15:51   #1

Boat: CS40
Importing personal items to Granada

Hi all
I just purchased my dream boat in Granada. It is a Alberg 37 and I am in love with her. My question is has anyone imported cartons of personal effects for a boat in this country and what is the cost and procedures. I am talking about galley cookware and dishes, linens, books and manuals, folding bikes....you get the idea. Thoughts. Also any info on marinas stores and getting around in Granada would be greatly appreciated.
Flatlandsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:54   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Importing personal items to Granada

Granada, Spain or Grenada, BWI - Caribbean? Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:55   #3

Sorry Granada BWI
Old 09-03-2013, 16:13   #4

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

There are two West Marine style marine stores in Granada, Budget Marine at Prickely Bay and Island World in St George's. I would ask them for the latest Rules and Regs. Mini-buses cost around 35 cents EC per ride.

My 2 cents? Register your boat with Customs, which you'll need to do anyway, and buy everything local. This is a fully finctioning country. Why pay shipping for things you can buy there? If they don't have it they know were to find it.

BTW with your boat registered with Customs all boat stuff is excempt from the 15% VAT.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 16:38   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

ummm...it is GrEnada, BWI...NOT GrAnada!!! (with an E, NOT an A) Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 16:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

UPS: Contact UPS: Grenada
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 17:25   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

One of the reasons I spent hurricane seasons in Trinidad was because it was a relative PITA to bring boat parts into Grenada.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:15   #8

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Flatlandsalor

The best bet is once you have the hints here contact the Grenada (with an E please) consulate closest to you and ask for orientation. Also, ask if you'll need special visa or permission issued by them to enter the country with a one-way ticket when you go pick up the boat.

Trinidad has a process in place and is relatively painless when temporarily importing boat stuff, declaring to customs at the airport and then having a Customs double-check in Chaguaramas, Grenada may have something similar given the number of "yachts" (local terminology) there.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 21:26   #9

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Please forgive my spelling. Not being of the prevailing religion in Utah while attending grade school in the late '40's I was never taught phonrtics and never realized it until well into my twenties.
Wheb I type to fast I make mistakes.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:17   #10

Boat: Beneteau 473
If you are in the US, move the boat to Puerto Rico and send everything US Postal Service. It worked well for us last summer, we sent 39 boxes to General Delivery at the Fajardo post office. I did call before hand to let them know what was coming though. There is a West Marine in Fajardo and many nice marinas.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:53   #11

Thanks for all the responses. I should have been clearer that the items I wish to import are, for the most part, used or owned by me now. So buying new over shipping charges would be far more costly in the end. Has anyone hauled out and but a boat on the hard for hurricane season there? If I am seeing this right I have 2 choices Spice Island and grenada marine. Any other options?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:54   #12

Boat: Oyster 55

I have hauled at Grenada Marine and had a pleasurable experience. I felt they did a good job and were eager to please.
However it is in the Jungle and a good distance from town so travel back and forth could get expensive by taxi. There is a small ships store there but very limited although they can usually get what you need in a day or two if it is available on the island. Also a restaurant/Bar in compound. Fenced area and security is around the clock.
Remember to bring lots of mosquito repellent. Dengue has been rampant in that part of Grenada.
Never had problems with Grenada customs because I was a YIT (Yacht in Transient) and was able to bring in some fairly expensive items duty free such as an inverter and a new hub for my folding props.
Would certainly use them again if the situation arose.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 17:40   #13

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Skype™ to coqui811

Welcome to cruising, I spent 13 years cruising the Eastern Caribbean and know Grenada quite well. Best thing to do is go to Island Water World. They helped me import a lot of boat stuff in 2008.

In am now in Colombia preparing to leave for Panama and the Westren Caribbean
coqui811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 17:52   #14

Boat: Lavranos 40

Importing in Grenada will make you subject of paying taxes at about 50% (look on the government website, there is a page somewhere to calculate). The only way to avoid taxes is that it's written 'boat in transit' in the pack you have to receive, with the references of the boat, and that you are all cleared with the customs.
In Trinidad if you want to send regular stuff from the US you need a skybox or someone receiving for you, you have to check with the customs because a lot of stuff are illegal to be imported, and the taxes are at about 55%, and for some specific stuff you need to apply to an importing licence (1 year delay). Importing new stuff or boat parts through local businesses is easy though.

By the way, if you bought your boat in Grenada, the inbound is probably not in your name, be sure to be get all the information from the customs as you might have to pay taxes for the boat transaction if you stay in the country xx days after signing the bill of sale and that you can still receive your stuff avoiding taxes.
romanos2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 18:52   #15

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Skype™ to coqui811

I lost my previous sailboat, a Young Sun 35, to Hurricaine Ivan in September 2004
coqui811 is offline   Reply With Quote