Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 10:28   #1

Boat: Sabre 42
Ideal Chesapeake spot

So... I have moved my new-to-me boat to Hampton Virginia... it was an awesome trip. Many cool things to see, and some interesting times had along the way.

I am planning on bringing my girlfriend down to the boat for a weekend... she's never sailed before, and has limited experience on a boat. We all know first impressions are important, so I want this trip to be an awesome one for her, and need some advice for where we could anchor for an evening, or two in this area... or a day-sail away. Basically, I am looking for the sort of deserted, picturesque cove, that makes us all happy to own a boat. We would be out for a few days, so more than one of these ideal locations are welcome.

To help make things less-stressfull... a couple of or good friends will be coming too, so that docking and anchoring or mouring will be easier. The only bad thing, I need to pump the head out before we leave... maybe she will be swimming in the Marina's pool while I do that.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:31   #2

Mobjack Bay & Fishing Bay off the Piankatank would be doable for you. Mobjack is pretty and desolate...Fishing Bay is just a nice anchorage where you can get off on land and do a few things without getting too commercial.
Cut across the Bay to Onancock and you can have a nice sail and end up in a small little Eastern Shore town with really friendly people and anything you might need.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:54   #3

Boat: Bavaria 40, 12, 48 meters
The boat, the other woman

I can not say anything about the anchorages in this area but some general advise since it is her first time on a sailboat:

Be prepared to do everything by yourself and get her involved on her own pace, avoid nautical terminology, that can come later. Sail short distances / legs. Anchoring is only good if she feels safe. Anything for that matter is only good if she feels safe. The toilet is a real issue. Anne, a very dear to me live-aboard lady from Scotland told me once: We (women) love the traveling but hate the sailing, we only do it because of the guys we love. Therefore be prepared to propose if she stays with the sailing...
Morski Krastavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 13:11   #4

Thanks for your help with this, I will be checking out those locations in my guide books, and maps. Sounds like what I am looking for.

As for her on the boat... we do alot of climbing, and hanging out in the woods... so I am sure she will not just adapt to this sort of life, but really enjoy it. Atleast here, we don't have to carry everything on our backs to go someplace. She loves to be involved, and hands on... so I am sure she will want to not let me do everything. Either way though... the whole idea is this is supposed to be fun...for both of us.

Any other advice... about locations, or introducing someone to sailing in a fun, relaxed, enjoyable way?
Old 09-07-2007, 17:04   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I would agree with camaraderie on the spots. Onancock is perhaps more like a two day trip each way though. I was at each of all those places last week. A trip to Cape Charles in Bay Creek marina would also be a great marina designation, but not much for anchoring. You could pump out before you leave or also toss in a trip up the York River as well. Sarah Creek (where I live) has a marina (pump out too) and Yorktown a new town dock.

Mobjack would be most pretty with the East and North River the better. It is however getting quite warm and humid these days. Consider that when you set out and perhaps have a marina location with electric to run the A/C if you need it. The nights stay pretty steamy lately. This will continue through August.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 21:02   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Before taking a female companion onto a boat...

1. Check the weather forecasts. Check first a week before, then a few days before then the night before then in the morning. If the trip is more than a few hours check while underway.

2. Cruisers use those expensive awkward inflatables because they are female friendly. Get one with a suitable sized outboard. I have described my experiences here.

3. Resist the temptation to let her steer in any but the easiest of conditions, and even then stay right by the wheel. I would have posted my experience but it was just too embarrassing and painful to be admited to in public.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:41   #7

Thanks Paul, and Boracay... I hadn't thought about it being too hot for her, so maybe someplace with a little breeze might be nice.

As for the weather... thats advice I follow regardless of who's coming. I am constantly checking weather, and writing the forcasts for the day out. She prefers to kayak, so we have a pretty sweet diveyak to use instead of lugging an outboard around.

As for her taking the helm... thats an interesting take Boracay. Maybe this topic isn't being read much, but that sounded a little sexist to me. I am sure it was intended just as "don't let someone inexperienced take the helm". I would have no issue with her at the helm while we are in the open. In traffic, or where alot of attention needs to be paid, I don't like anybody taking the helm from me... unless I KNOW they can handle it.

I'd like ot know a little more about this story, it sounds intriguing.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-07-2007, 20:54   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Non sexist version...

Resist the temptation to allow any inexperienced person to take the helm in any but the most benign conditions.

Make sure you are standing close enough to an inexperienced helmsperson to be able to take control of the boat quickly.

Inexperienced crew do not appreciate that the boat will handle very differently under power and sail and that someone could get hurt.

In particular a fin keel boat can turn very quickly in less than its own length.

Newton's laws of motion are not commonly referred to in sailing but they still apply.

Use of a tiller when the crew has used a wheel or a wheel when they have used a tiller can result in an oposite correction to the one intended, followed by the helmsperson "freezing" in panic.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote