Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 11:19   #1
cruiser

ICW Updates (USA)

I figured a thread that can be added to from time to time for the ICW might be a good idea.

I'm in the ICW right now (crud weather and few inlets).

So.... my ICW update for 4/8/08 is this:

AVOID THE Ponce De Leon Cut.

There is dredging going on, which is inconvenient...

But the real issue is the huge pile of dirt left unmarked in the center of the channel. It constitutes my first time going aground while in command of a vessel. I no longer have that "perfect record" thanks to the dredging going on.

This is a cut on the ICW near the inlet of the same name in Northern FL. The "pink line" of the ICW goes through this canal/cut. I would suggest going around it.

Due to the shape of my hulls, I wasn't "grounded", but did come to a stop. The current pulled me right back off while I was trying to think about what to do. ha ha

BTW: My grounding means there is less than 3' there.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Welcome to cruising "off the path". We all ground out, some eventually, some (like I) sooner & more often.
Of course, I can understand how you might have thought that you were on the path.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
lots of information on that spot and others here
Cruisers' Net - Eastern Florida
just click on the "Cruise News From" column for whichever state you want info for and it is pretty current.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:15   #4

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
the trick is to do it early and get it out of the way......I bumped my hulls coming out of Deltaville VA the day I pickup up the boat and moved her to Norfolk. Narrow, squirrely channel coming out of the marina got shallow real quick. No problems since.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:17   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Welcome to cruising "off the path". We all ground out, some eventually, some (like I) sooner & more often.
Of course, I can understand how you might have thought that you were on the path.

He he... thanks for the welcome to the club.

See... where i learned ot sail, grounding sinks your boat most of the time. I view it as something akin to riding around with your seacocks open and no hoses attached. I take it very personally. I was in the channel, but had no clue as to the pile of dirt in it from the dredge. Thought I saw all the important Notice to Mariners, but missed that there would be piles of dirt.

The hull shape was great for it though. I think I would have been stuck with the old boat. This one has big "bellies" forward that are the deepest point below the waterline. They touched and stopped me before the skegs, rudders, props even came close.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:51   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

What is that, some kind of "cracker special" dredge? I've only seem them scoop or pump, and either the load goes in a barge or gets pumped way aside to the shore or a spoil area. Seems like someone dredging the channel, only to leave piles of dirt blocking it, just ain't quite right in the head.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 13:01   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sulli,

Was you going to go out the inlet? Or did you miss the ICW about a mile before the inlet? At times the inlet can be a WEE BIT exciting. I have used it about a dozen times under very different conditions from storm to benign, with, and without motor, fog like soup, and clear as can be.

Also just as you approach the inlet. The cut to the left desires local knowledge, depth finder, and a good eye. Fortunatley I had all three, but now the eyes are becoming suspect. lololololol
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 13:03   #8
cruiser

I don't know, Hellosailor. There was a dredge, maybe 4-6 ft depth next to the dredge to pass (so I did). Then, back in the center of the channel again after passing it, depths were wildly varying, culminating into a spot less than 3ft right in the center of the channel.

Maybe this was shoaling they were working on removing?

Either way, it's a bad place to pass even with a cat. If you took a mono in there, I think you'd have to turn around and go back anyway. It would be tough to get through.
Old 08-04-2008, 13:04   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Sulli,

Was you going to go out the inlet? Or did you miss the ICW about a mile before the inlet? At times the inlet can be a WEE BIT exciting. I have used it about a dozen times under very different conditions from storm to benign, with, and without motor, fog like soup, and clear as can be.

Also just as you approach the inlet. The cut to the left desires local knowledge, depth finder, and a good eye. Fortunatley I had all three, but now the eyes are becoming suspect. lololololol

No, I was staying inside due to the bouncy conditions and headwinds outside. I'll make better time motoring into north winds in calm waters than in swells and chop outside.
Old 08-04-2008, 13:13   #10
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
What is that, some kind of "cracker special" dredge?
Nah .. It's the new Florida reduced cost dredging
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 13:16   #11
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Maybe this was shoaling they were working on removing?

Either way, it's a bad place to pass even with a cat. If you took a mono in there, I think you'd have to turn around and go back anyway. It would be tough to get through.
There have been numerous complaints this year about that inlet. Monohulls are regularly going aground in the middle of the channel. It's nice to hear they finally sent a dredge.

Now... er.. Sean, since you're there.... if you could kindly mention to the workers that removing the obstruction is preferable to moving it to a new location, we would all be grateful.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 13:38   #12

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Sean,
No time to warn you of the ICW south of St. Augustine, FL. Where there are inlets the sand shifts quite a bit. Current runs fast and heavy and a NE wind plays havoc on S/V. I spent hours trying to get past Marineland during a NorEaster. At. St. Augustine inlet you need to head to the offshore bouy before you make your turn to the north. There are jetties and sometimes they are not exposed. If they are, the sand is built up off shore a ways.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw