Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 09:25   #16

Re: ICW Single handing - M/V Advice and thoughts for first timer.

The waterway seems pretty wide to me. Alot of it is so wide it's disconcerting trying to make sure you are on course. Take a good set of binoculars. . There are spots where the dredged portion is pretty narrow, but pulling off outside a marker is pretty easy if you are careful. You are pretty shallow boat, mine was 6'5" draft!
Just take it two markers at a time... then one you just passsed and the one up ahead!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 09:33   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Bad idea and bad advise. The magenta line on many charts has not been updated since the 1930's. There are several areas along the ICW that will put you hard aground following "the magenta line". You need to follow the channel and navigate with your eyeballs. Your SeaRay will have some very, very expensive repair bills the first time you run hard aground and bend those exposed props and rudders. We did a post on navigating the ICW on our blog, The Trawler Beach House: Navigating The Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway . Chuck
Good to clarify. When I said follow the magenta line I did try to qualify that advise with a very large "BUT!!" and refer him to the Waterway Guide website.

Perhaps should have made it more clear that the magenta line can put you aground in places and to safely traverse the ICW one MUST check updated details from appropriate sources.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 09:39   #18

Another thought: With the cost of fuel in a 44 Sea Ray, it might be cheaper to truck the boat down and spend your time enjoying the Keys!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:34   #19

Thanks WWG.... I'll take a look at your blog and comment once reviewed.

Seagull, not quite there yet. But, getting closer.... I just found out my autopilot head went south before me...haha.
Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:36   #20

Cheech....If I thought that I strongly consider it...

Do you know of any haulers that are reasonable? I'd consider trucking her down and sailing her back up in the spring.
Old 22-10-2013, 15:19   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

BG, if you have the time and no particularly demanding schedule... you might also consider a modified plan, consisting of hops along the way.

Here to Norfolk over three days, do some sightseeing, leave the boat there for a bit. Down the canal to NC somewhere (Little Washington, Oriental, New Bern, whatever), enjoy the sights along the way, stop over a bit and relax, leave the boat there for a bit. And so forth.

The trip can be pleasant, and indeed there are places to lay over -- marinas, decent anchorages, etc. -- but if you simply zoom down there all the way through, that won't let you snort many roses along the way.

Short days can be easier on you; longer days take a serious toll, especially if you'll really be single-handing. Boatloads of work to do along the way, what with all that pesky navigating and piloting and arranging berths and anchoring and cooking and keeping watch and so forth

In the meantime, compute fuel costs. It's about 1100 miles from here to near Fort Lauderdale (for example). Not all of that can be at your normal cruise speed, of course, but much can... say up to 80% of the mileage. Your fuel burn on plane will be in the neighborhood of (30-40 GPH?) at whatever speed that renders... so check the math sometime soon... and you can compare that to trucking costs.

-Chris
Old 22-10-2013, 16:12   #22

I have no schedule......none.

Yet, I'm not a fan of the cold and I realize my window is getting shorter and shorter. I do plan on seeing the sights but it might be on the trip back North.

As far as calculations, trucking vs. cruising....

She'll burn 24gal/hr at 24kts. on plane. If I put her at displacement speed she'll do 6kts at about 3GPH. My est. was about 1000 miles down to the Keys. So I might be a bit off. Last I checked on trucking it was $4/mile but that was awhile ago. Don't know if it's gotten better or worse.

I also thought of pulling her here and trucking half way. Putting her back in around GA.
Old 22-10-2013, 17:26   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Ok get on your boat and go. Completed the trip from Deal Md to S Fl 38ft sailboat 5ft 6" draft. Great trip interesting . Active Captain a must. Look for a weather window to go offshore at least around Ga. By the way 17 day's total time singled handed from New Bern S.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 17:39   #24

Thanks for the info and inspiration, Casual. I'm meeting a friend in SAV so I'll look at the charts and figure it out around there....

BTW - I got a quote to pull her here and set her in around SC.

600 miles x $6 / mile ($4 for truck and $2 for add'l vehicle) + $400 for permits.

$4k to more her 600 miles or about $1200 if I cruise....
Old 22-10-2013, 20:30   #25

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Boat Guy, ya, no adventure in trucking it, just get it ready and buy some cruising guides and take it south. You'd be surprised how many other people could care less about the power vs. sail thing. If it floats and takes you places you want to go, and you got the $$ for fuel.....

There are some great places to jump offshore, open that thing up, and bang out some miles. You could be in SAV in a heartbeat if you really meant it, or mosey on down. Make sure you have some good ground tackle, and be ready for some cool side trips.

+1 on towing insurance if navigating channels like the ICW is new to you. Take it easy when you get out of the bay, Chuck is right that you have a lot to lose if you run aground. If you are sharp and reasonably prudent, you'll have a good time without breaking too much.

And one other thing, if you're passing me, don't bother dropping off plane, and don't call me to clear your pass on 13/16 unless there is a need to discuss your big complicated routine pass. I avoid the ICW for all the traffic, bridges, limited sailing, etc, but it is awesome in the winter, IMHO.

Get the guides...theres a lot to see. As far as singlehanding, just spend some time each night reading over the next days data, charting, etc. If you spend a little time planning, stay alert, and avoid snotty weather you'll be fine. It is a killer time to be on the water, and a no-brainer if you got the time
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 21:07   #26

Cheoah, thanks man....

You make clear sense. I keep hearing, "Get the guides", yet I have yet to purchase one. Don't know why I'm so reluctant. I like to wing things and figure Active Captain on the Garmin App should suffice.

Man, I do not want to run aground....it just looks bad...

If I'm passing ya I'll be sure to give you an extra swamping... Keep a lookout for my pirate flags....haha

I'm glad to hear you like the weather this time of year.
Old 22-10-2013, 21:15   #27

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Gimme a break!

Sorry, I have a prejudice against "running shoe" boats.
Old 22-10-2013, 21:43   #28

Why Mark? Is it just because they are fast or because they are sleek?

Did this particular one offend you in some way? If so let me know...because I know every Sea Ray captain and I'll be sure to let him know.

Just slip behind his wake and ride the calm..... It looks like I see another wake between the boats he'll be overtaking.
Old 22-10-2013, 22:43   #29

Hello Boat Guy!

I had enough room to turn (nearly 90 degrees) into that fast-fellow's wake to avoid an extreme roll. Nevertheless, my pal whose gentle wake is pictured between me and the "running shoe" didn't have a similar opportunity and was rocked/rolled considerably. Fortunately, his wife caught the casserole dish flung out of the refrigerator.
Old 22-10-2013, 22:53   #30

Do captains of Sea Rays dream of being U.S. Coast Guard boat drivers?

His previous run by me caught me unawares, and rolled me severely, thus "watering" my decks and making crashing noises in the galley:

Tags
icw, single