Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2005, 17:18   #1

Boat: 36' Tiara Open w/tower Uno Mas
ICW from WPB to Charleston

Hello, My husband and I are planning a trip from Palm Beach area to Charleston SC this summer. Past summers have been spent in the Bahamas, so this is a first for us. We are hoping to run outside at least to Jacksonville, but need a backup plan.

So... how many days are we looking at if we have to stay in the ICW from Palm Beach to Charleston? I really have no idea how to plan this trip so any help would be appreciated!
Old 27-12-2005, 09:20   #2

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
ICW to Charleston

According to Kettlewell, the distance from Palm Beach to Charleston via the ICW is 369 miles. If you want to travel full days, you should have nearly 10 hours of good daylight for traveling in the summer. So figure what your average cruising speed is per hour, multiplied by the number of hours per day you want to travel, and divide that into 369 to get the number of days it will take. I would also add a bit of time to that for bridges, sightseeing (especially if you have never done the trip before), etc.

If I were you, I would take the outside route at least to Jacksonville to avoid all the bridges in Florida. It would even be worth waiting for a weather window to do it. Last year, we went from Ft. Lauderdale to Charleston on the outside in 2 1/2 days, and it was delightful.

There's a lot to see along the way, so if you choose the ICW, I would allow lots of time to visit St. Augustine, Cumberland Island, Jekyll Island, Savannah, etc. Just my two cents.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2005, 17:13   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
A scenic tour

but a royal PIA. The section through Georgia is mile after mile of switchbacks. The last time I did it was aboard a power boat at 28 kts and it was still a pain. I would never do it in a sailboat. I would wait for that weather window and go outside. Once above Charleston, the route becomes more straight forward and much easier to tolerate.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw