Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2006, 04:50   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 40.3 Libertas
Question I Should Know this

All summer we have been talking about sailing from Larchmont NY (LI Sound) to Baltimore and I have gotten some great tips. However I remain stumped on something I should know, but since I never sail south...How does one go through the East River to NJ? Going from the Sound do I want a high tide or a low tide in the river? I am told this is very tricky and you have to time it just right but I can't find any how to's on the web. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I really would like to try this!

swhynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2006, 10:41   #2

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
According to "Reed's Almanac" the current turns "fair" for southbound boats in Hell Gate about two hours after high water at New York (presumably at the Battery) and remains fair all the way down the East River, through the harbor and Veranzzo Narrows until the time of Low Water after which the currents are weak in the southern part of the bay for a couple hours.

(From my log book: In October, 2000 we arrived at Execution Rock at 11:45 AM intending to anchor at City Island and wait for the next days fair current through Hell Gate. It turned out it WAS fair at that time so we pressed on. Fairly flew down the East River and through the harbor. By 5:30 that evening we were on a mooring behind Sandy Hook. This in a 5 knot sailboat.)

Watch out for floating debris in the East River. We passed a half submerged chunk of dock about 30 feet long in the fairway. Since 9/11 security has been a concern. Check with the Coast Guard about navigation restrictions. Monitor channel 13 for the tugs and tows.

Good Luck!

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur." - Anything said in Latin sounds profound
KaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2006, 10:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
AH HAH!!! Another Endeavour Ketch'r
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2006, 12:47   #4

I sailed/motored a 26 footer with an outboard many years ago from Gravesend Bay in Brooklyn (not far from Sandy Hook), leaving in the AM on a rising tide in New York. By the end of the day we were on a mooring at Larchmont YC, having arrived at Hell's Gate at exactly the right time to ride the ebb into LIS.

It was very easy and fast, once we found the right day for the tides we wanted. These days, with GPS, it has to be even easier to time your arrival at Hell's Gate. And yes, you do have to watch for debris (and commercial traffic) in the East River and in Hell's Gate, so it's not something you want to try at night or in reduced visibility.

We departed from Brooklyn so we could spend some time at my parents' house in Bensonhurst. And we were guests at LYC, so we could have gone further up the Sound if we wanted to. I'm sure we could have made it from Sandy Hook as well, just departing a little earlier.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote