Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 18:38   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Hurricane season haul out in Grenada

We are likely going to haul for the 2014 hurricane season in Grenada. We are aware of Grenada Marina, Spice Island Marine, and Tyrrel Bay on Carriacou. Any other options? If you have used one of these would you recommend it?

Thanks.
Old 25-08-2013, 19:08   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Hurricane season haul out in Grenada

My 2 cents for Mainland Grenada, Tyrrel bay is a death trap in a direct hit, last time i dont see any steel cradle to suport boats, and is close to the water... Spice got steel cradles and tie down the boats to the ground with sand screws, but oh well in a CAT 5 your boat is toasted anyway...
Ask your insurance company if Tyrrel bay is okey... Good luck.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 19:51   #3

Boat: Shopping...

We haul-out at Spice Island last year. Decent place. We had about 2 inches between our rail and neighbours! A bit hard to work on the hull with all the stands criss-crossing...
Old 26-08-2013, 14:48   #4

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

TBYHO in Tyrrel (Carriacou) is most friendly and competent but very small and usually fills very early. SIMS is also quick to fill and so is Grenada Marine.

Reserve early. Or sail a few more miles south to Chaguaramas on Trinidad.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 15:02   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Ask all the yards of their 2004 experience with Hurricane Ivan, and insurance claims from that. Just saying.

If I could be anywhere during Hurricane season, Grenada is where I would choose.

But if your above 10°N it's always a crap shoot. Do whatever makes you feel Fuzzy with your decision.
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 15:35   #6

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

Both yards have made major improvements since the disastrous cat 4 hurricane Yvan passage. Insurers now accept these yards providing you respect certain requirements such as the use of well anchored steel cradles and unstepped masts. This is quite expensive but safe.

No such requirements in Trini or in Venezuela and the cost for storing is far more reasonable. But... Trini is very humid and sailing in Venezuela is quite dangerous these days.

You could also consider Ottley Hall on St Vincent.
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 17:41   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

How much do they charge for haul outs in Grenada?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 17:49   #8

Boat: Shopping...

Last year it cost me about 380.00 for haul-out and pressure wash and 520.00 per month for storage. No steel craddle, only tie-downs. You can see the actual price list on their website.
Old 27-08-2013, 07:02   #9

Boat: Oyster 66

Tyrell Bay seems like a nice small friendly yard and now has customs on-site. Spice Island is much larger, tidy and seems very efficient with pleasant staff (visited, not stayed at both). I am currently in Peake's Trinidad. Very well run quality set up and much cheaper if you don't stay 6 months. Safer from Hurricanes too. Power Boats next door looks good also.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:54   #10

Boat: Nautitech 442, 44 ft

I left my catamaran on dry storage in Grenada Marine at the beginning of this year. Spice Island was not suitable for my boats's size, while Grenada Marine has the largest travelift on the island. There is plenty of place and the storage is very secure. You can ask for cradles and hurricane safety means. It is said that the most undamaged boats during Ivan were here. They also have a skilled staff for all kinds of maintenance and repairs, including a sailmaker and a small Island Waterworld chandlery. There is a bar with some food on the strand and the neighbourhood is really beautiful.

Some drawbacks : hassle from mosquitoes, no food store and a rather lonely place, far away from St George's and the airport (count at least 45 mn).
For the hurricane season I balanced between Grenada Marine again and Trinidad. I eventually choosed Chaguaramas in Trinidad because I live in Europe and couldn't take any quick care of the boat in the event of a hurricane. I also wished to visit Tobago on the route, which is a magnificent spot. Peakes Yacht Services in Chaguaramas is a very recommendable place, too, although a bit more expensive in my case and with a really hot climate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antil0113c148.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	66346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antil0113c179.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	66347  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Antil0113c175.jpg