Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2012, 13:43   #16

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV
Re: Hurricane Season - Grenada , Trinidad , ABCs ?

Thanks everyone for your input.

As it turns out, my insurer (Pantaenius) will let me stay inside the "box" as long as they approve my hurricane plan.

That could potentially bring places like Rodney Bay into contention. We've spent quite a bit of time there in the past and like the marina - also has decent flight connections from Toronto. It's also a great jumping off point for getting to two of our favourite places in the Eastern Caribbean - the Grenadines and Dominica.

Someone mentioned Puerto del Rey in Fajardo. I could stay there too, but I think it's a fairly expensive place relative to some of the other options.

I will look into Curacao... thanks for the links on that front.

Also, on Grenada, we have some friends who have been in Prickly Bay for two years and I'm picking their brains as much as I can on this as well.

Again, thank you all.

Cheers,
Colin
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 14:24   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BojanglesIV View Post
As it turns out, my insurer (Pantaenius) will let me stay inside the "box" as long as they approve my hurricane plan.
I look at this a bit differently but that might be the result of being hit by hurricanes twice

I just want to run as little risk as possible, no matter if my insurance covers me or not (they do cover anywhere btw). It may sound strange, but I feel bad when I leave my boat somewhere at risk.

St. Lucia, like Martinique, at high on the list to take their turn for a full hit. I think they about cleared up all wrecks from Marin and St. Lucia has been clean for a long time.

Considering everything, if you like the East Caribbean a lot, I would put my boat in the secure long storage area at Peake's yard in Chaguaramas, Trinidad. If you're ready to get out of the crazy tourist traps bit, head west to the ABC's where you have a secure long storage area with Curacao Marine in Willemstad. Here you can go to Bonaire and Aruba for the tourist traps or chill out in the Aves or Rogues island chains which are of a beauty that the Grenadines can't match. Or stay in Curacao and go for adventures on Klein Curacao or Santa Krus baai and chill in Fuik baai before returning to Spanish Waters which is the best anchorage in the Caribbean. Both Aruba and Bonaire are different countries that reset the customs and immigration clocks.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 03:24   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Colin,

If you accept the idea of dry storage in Antigua, Jolly Harbour will strap your boat down to yard anchors in a paved yard. Bailey's Boatyard in Fallmouth will put it in a steel cradle anchored to the ground. We've used both and can recommend them. We've also used Rodney Bay and Grenada Marine, and would put them in the second tier after the Antigua yards.
Old 23-02-2012, 07:12   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Colin,

If you accept the idea of dry storage in Antigua, Jolly Harbour will strap your boat down to yard anchors in a paved yard. Bailey's Boatyard in Fallmouth will put it in a steel cradle anchored to the ground. We've used both and can recommend them. We've also used Rodney Bay and Grenada Marine, and would put them in the second tier after the Antigua yards.
As will Nanny Cay Tortola BVI's and Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbour has keel trenches
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 06:29   #20

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

I would seriously consider Trinidad Peakes Marine based on these comments, however, there are also reports of piracy on the route from Trinidad to Grenada, apparently by armed pirates from Venezuela. Any consideration for this? Would insurance raise the cost due to this factor?
Old 28-02-2012, 07:06   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts 30'

It often seems that this route is subject to pirates. We were intending to continue to Trinidad, but were put off by the possiblity of piracy.

One morning on the Cruisers' net a boat reported being chased by a fishing boat, but it was thought afterwards that the fishing boat was perhaps trying to warn the cruiser away from his fishing gear.

Also in that same period there was an incident where a crew member was shot on a catamaran near Trinidad, but that turned out to be a drug deal 'gone wrong', and the rest of the crew was arrested.

Many cruisers make the trip without incident, but...

Marner
Old 28-02-2012, 09:07   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Stay the heck away from Venezuela on that stretch. If the wind pushes you to Venezuela, use the engine and motorsail.

If you feel insecure, sail from Grenada to Tobago and then onwards to Trinidad. I never felt troubled there but my last call in Trini was in 2005.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 28-02-2012, 10:22   #23
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
We are currently laid up on the hard in Peakes in trinidad and i cant rcommend it enough. Professional, efficient and secure. When you see the. NUmber of stands they use to hold the boat, the way they run through the whole yard prior to a blow and the efficient manner they operate you onow you are in a well run yard.

However if you were going to live aboard i would recommend spanish water in curacao, even without sarifundi.

Anyone know if they rebuilt it adter the fire? I miss Yos and Lars.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 14:39   #24

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

The problem of VZ pirates between Grenada and Trnidad was reportedly "solved" back in late 2010. There have been no incidents reported to the Caribbean Safety & Security Net since then for the crossing. However, thefts in the boatyards and marinas is still quite active if you look at the current reports from CS&SN.

Having spent considerable time in both Grenada and Trinidad up until early 2011, you need to take simple but comprehensive precaustions against theft - and if you do - you will have a wonderful visit and wonder what everybody is bitching about. Primarily, IMHO, it is all in your attitude. Put on your "big city street smarts hat" and you will be fine.

For the crossing to Trinidad, I normally always do it at night leaving Grenada so that I arrive off "Boca del Monos," Trinidad at about 8AM. This makes a nice crossing with nobody to worry about except don't hit the Gas Rig 24nm north of the Boca's.

The return trip back north can be done either in the day or night as you can anchor outside St Georges after sunset with no difficulty - wide open and no hazards.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 15:53   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jedi on the hard @ Peake's :

ciao!
Nick.
Old 29-02-2012, 09:44   #26

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Stay the heck away from Venezuela on that stretch. If the wind pushes you to Venezuela, use the engine and motorsail.

If you feel insecure, sail from Grenada to Tobago and then onwards to Trinidad. I never felt troubled there but my last call in Trini was in 2005.

ciao!
Nick.

Would you recommand entering Trinidad from the East and sail close to the Trinidad shore line rather than a direct landing on the West end of the island, which is very close to VZ? Same thing on the way up to Grenada, go as far East as possible before heading offshore? Just an idea
Old 29-02-2012, 10:55   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99 View Post
Would you recommand entering Trinidad from the East and sail close to the Trinidad shore line rather than a direct landing on the West end of the island, which is very close to VZ? Same thing on the way up to Grenada, go as far East as possible before heading offshore? Just an idea
Coming from Grenada you should always try to gain easting as that's where the wind comes from. But I would not go as far as to tack for it no. I tend to hit that oil rig so not even try hard to get easting... it's an easy sail.

Coming from Trinidad we go for Grenada and we leave early morning. Even if we really want to go to Los Testigos which is along the Venezuelan coast. We make Grenada before dark but if you don't it's easy to anchor outside St Georges in the dark for the rest of the night.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 29-02-2012, 11:58   #28

Quote:
However if you were going to live aboard, I would recommend Spanish Water in Curaçao, even without Sarifundi.

Anyone know if they rebuilt it after the fire? I miss Yos and Lars
no, Sarifundy's has not been rebuilt, but we found an even nicer place for our happy hours ...
the fisherman's place, open Tue- through Sunday ... Norman is a great host, simple but tasty meals, cheep drinks ... live music on Friday + BBQ, locals come there too, which makes it an extra nice place to socialize ...
the dinghy dock is there, local busses to town are around the corner, the free supermarket shuttle picks you up at the fisherman's place and there's free garbage disposal ...

well, didn't this sound like a super commercial? ...
beachgirl1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 18:36   #29

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99 View Post
As Jedi said, it is an easy sail from Grenada to Trinidad and back.

If you draw a line from Prickly Bay or any south coast bay directly to Boca de Monos at Trinidad it is 76 nm and 191°M. The line takes you about about 3 to 5 nm west of the Hibiscus Gas Rig.

There are 4 passes (Bocas') off the western tip of Trinidad - the eastern and most used is Boca de Monos; the next one westward is Boca de Huevos. Either of the two has always been safe and secure passes into Trinidad's yachting harbor - Chaguaramas Bay. The Chag Bay area is the only yachting center location on Trinidad.

What it is advised to avoid is getting "sucked" (falling off downwind) from your course line and ending up in Boca Grande which is the water between Venezuela and Trinidad and a persistent trouble spot for both Trinidadian fishermen and yachts.

The nature of the crossing heading south is that once you get off the Grenada shelf which extends south of the island about 8nm you get into the very strong Equatorial Current which pushes you westward and requires you to head more eastward to compensate. So getting your "easting" early is a good idea.

From about halfway to Trinidad to the Boca the current lessens considerably and you can make much better speed and hold the line better. It is not at all very difficult a crossing.

There are two reasons for staying east of a line from off St Georges (western side of Grenada) to Boca Grande - first is that it is a major sea lane route for freighters, barge tows, and other commercial ships - which are occasionally running without any lights during the night. Second is that it is easiest to see and head towards the gigantic Hibiscus Gas Platform that is lighted like a cruise ship at night. A good visual waypoint. From abeam the Gas Platform you are about 4 hours from the Boca if you are doing 6 kts SOG.

Additionally, Trinidad does not want anybody sailing along their north coast unless they know about it. The Trinidad north coast is a major drug arrival and departure location for illegal drug traffic. And you don't want to be confused for a drug runner by being in that area.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:45   #30

Boat: Westerly Ocean 49 - 'Zenna'

Anya, perhaps we weren't very clear about our experience with Curacao Marine. In a nutshell i found Curacao Marine to be without integrity and incompetent (at best) following their damaging our rigging during their destepping of our mast without our knowledge. Curacao Marine denied knowing anything about the damage and became abusive and threatening when asked about rectifying the damage. After nearly 90 days, and the end of our visa, we have no resolve with Curacao Marine.
Furthermore, contractors that work for Curacao Marine are considered to be similarly incompetent, if not negligent. The only exception is the woodwork and engine repair shop, which is a shame really.
Say Hi to Ben for us.
Zennaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada, hurricane, grenada