Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2017, 11:16   #16

Boat: 1985 aluminium sailboat, 43ft
Re: Holding tank requirements USA

Thank you all for your answer s and ideas... I guess I will have lots of fun with this dirty business. By the way, do the authorities check often?
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 11:20   #17

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

Yes. Every time I'm boarded by the USCG, they check, and some marinas check when you come in.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 11:23   #18

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

A diy composting head would work for short stints. Pine shavings in a 5- gallon bucket with toilet seat lid, just try to only put solids and tp in it, pee overboard. After every deposit put a handful of fresh shavings on top. Super simple and won't stink. If you mix the solids and liquids though, that is another story.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 12:51   #19

Even pee has to be discharged beyond the 3 mile limit, including standing at the stern.... And bays like Chesapeake or San Francisco are considered 'inland' so, no go. FYI, most marinas and fuel docks have pump outs and are low cost or free. Hope you enjoy your stay in the USA.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 13:02   #20

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
Thank you all for your answer s and ideas... I guess I will have lots of fun with this dirty business. By the way, do the authorities check often?
If you cruise the East coast you will get boarded at least once by the USCG. They do not always check the head, but mostly do.
One solution is to I stall a flex tank as a holding tank. They are pretty easy to fit in somewhere. You use it when being inspected and in areas that it would be inappropriate to pump overboard. Some boats have these and they have never gotten wet except to test. Using a 3 way valve and tieing off or removing the handle is sufficient for an inspection.
Old 23-11-2017, 14:32   #21

A flex tank seems like an easy workable solution, thanks
Old 23-11-2017, 17:40   #22

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Cyril-
There mainly are none.
If you are in a "zero discharge zone" then your head must be physically "secured" against overboard discharge, which can mean literally putting a padlock on the discharge valve, or even locking the door to the head.
Zero discharge areas tend to be crowded harbors, areas with oyster beds, other sensitive areas. It is possible you will never visit one. You might want to check ahead, look at our charts and the coast pilot books (all free online) and ask around.
The normal standard here is to have a holding tank, or a composting [sic] head, so that waste can be contained onboard, and then discharge either outside of the three-mile limit, or removed from the boat by a pump-out service. (Common in marinas in many areas.) But no, they are not required here. Stay away from the no-discharge zones, and you won't need one. You may need the padlock and a bucket though.(G)
This is not correct

We've noe cruised the east coast of the US for 7 months and never been stopped by the USCG -BUT- if you have a holding tank - it needs to be secured which means that the discharge valve has to be locked so it cannot be opened. You need to visit a pumpout when you tank is full

SO you need to bite the bullet and get a tank installed - aything else will just give you multiple problems and fines etc etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 18:40   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1973 Cal Cruiser 35

The Federal Clean Water Act requires that all boats with an installed head have one of three types of Coast Guard approved marine sanitation devices (MSD's) attached to the toilet. Failure to comply can result in a $2,000 fine. Type I and II MSD's are flow-through systems that treat the sewage using chemical, electrical and/or incineration methods before discharging the waste overboard; i.e., Lectra-San or Microphor. A macerator pump is not an MSD. Type III MSD's are holding tanks that store sewage on the boat. The waste is not treated in a Type III device, even if odor-reducing chemicals are added. It is illegal to discharge or empty the contents of your boat's holding tank in U.S. territorial water ( within a three-mile limit). Some boats are equipped with a "Y" -valve that allows for the direct discharge of raw sewage. This valve can only be used outside the three-mile limit. Coast Guard regulations require that the "Y"-valve must be secured in the closed position (by padlock, non-resealable tie, removal of handle or other physical barrier) when the boat is within three miles of shore. Boaters can be fined for non-compliance. If you use a portable toilet, remember it is illegal to dump it overboard. Use shore side facilities to empty it. SPECIAL NOTE: Waste treated by Type I and II MSD's is unhealthy for marine waters because (1) chemical treatment often sanitizes only the outer surfaces of waste clumps, (2) chemicals routinely used in MSD's are harmful to sea life and water quality (chlorine, formaldehyde, formaline, phenol derivatives, ammonia compounds), (3) poorly maintained MSD's may not treat effluent to the prescribed standards, and (4) even treated sewage contributes nutrients and lowers dissolved oxygen levels in water, lowering water quality for marine lif
freakytiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 20:57   #24

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I would rig up a composter and collect your urine in a 1-5 gallon container. You will be good for at least two weeks use before disposing. Lots of info on YouTube about composters. You can build your own, you may end up keeping it.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 03:22   #25

Just to be complete, are there any restrictions on grey water also?
Thank you for your help
Old 24-11-2017, 03:24   #26

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
Just to be complete, are there any restrictions on grey water also?
Thank you for your help
I've never encountered grey water restrictions, but I've read there are some in upstate/inland New York (or somewhere like that) and maybe some other inland lakes.

-Chris
Old 24-11-2017, 05:12   #27

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakytiki View Post
The Federal Clean Water Act requires that all boats with an installed head have one of three types of Coast Guard approved marine sanitation devices (MSD's) attached to the toilet. Failure to comply can result in a $2,000 fine. Type I and II MSD's are flow-through systems that treat the sewage using chemical, electrical and/or incineration methods before discharging the waste overboard; i.e., Lectra-San or Microphor. A macerator pump is not an MSD. Type III MSD's are holding tanks that store sewage on the boat. The waste is not treated in a Type III device, even if odor-reducing chemicals are added. It is illegal to discharge or empty the contents of your boat's holding tank in U.S. territorial water ( within a three-mile limit). Some boats are equipped with a "Y" -valve that allows for the direct discharge of raw sewage. This valve can only be used outside the three-mile limit. Coast Guard regulations require that the "Y"-valve must be secured in the closed position (by padlock, non-resealable tie, removal of handle or other physical barrier) when the boat is within three miles of shore. Boaters can be fined for non-compliance. If you use a portable toilet, remember it is illegal to dump it overboard. Use shore side facilities to empty it. SPECIAL NOTE: Waste treated by Type I and II MSD's is unhealthy for marine waters because (1) chemical treatment often sanitizes only the outer surfaces of waste clumps, (2) chemicals routinely used in MSD's are harmful to sea life and water quality (chlorine, formaldehyde, formaline, phenol derivatives, ammonia compounds), (3) poorly maintained MSD's may not treat effluent to the prescribed standards, and (4) even treated sewage contributes nutrients and lowers dissolved oxygen levels in water, lowering water quality for marine lif

Some are proposing that the OP lock his head through hull and use a composting toilet or porta potty. It appears that this cannot be done as his boat has an installed head.
Old 24-11-2017, 07:35   #28
cruiser

Federal law does not prohibit peeing or pooping directly into the water as long as you don't put it in a container first.

You're still better off either installing a proper holding tank or using a porta potty.

So is it common in the UK for boats to dump raw sewage into the water?
boatman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 08:44   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman12 View Post
Federal law does not prohibit peeing or pooping directly into the water as long as you don't put it in a container first.
Every time I read this I wait for the poster to prove it by hanging their butt over the side and dropping a load in front of a water cop type.

I just find it such an insulting and twisted “taking the high ground” position
Old 24-11-2017, 09:18   #30

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I would not follow Boatman 12's advice on a bet. The may be no law against hanging over the side and letting her rip but I guarantee most cops can handle a smart ass starting with indecent exposure and then getting creative after boarding.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank, men