Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2009, 19:46   #16

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpablo View Post
Hey guys,

Finally, is there a main route that people are using to go from Florida to Bimini Island, because if so I could sail close to that route in order to be helped in case of a problem.

That's what I've been thinking. You sound like a nice guy, maybe you can find some folks making the crossing and willing to be a chase boat..keep an eye on you...They might enjoy sharing in your adventure...
Old 27-01-2009, 03:29   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Juan Pablo,

If you've never experienced the Gulf Stream, you might not realize that you can't count on making the same boatspeed that you're used to for a given windspeed. The seas in the Stream tend to be steeper and more confused than coastal seas unless the winds are very light, so the risk of burying the lee hull is significant. You may have to slow down (and extend the trip and your exposure) in order to keep from tripping.
Old 27-01-2009, 05:59   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
You may have to slow down (and extend the trip and your exposure) in order to keep from tripping.
Having sailed a Hobie 18 in the Caribbean the waves don't have to be that steep. It's easy to build a lot of boat speed and at that point the ability to flip gets quite easy. The boat can easily get away from you without constant care. Sailing as fast as you can isn't the best strategy for a trip that long. Righting the boat in calm water isn't so hard but with some extra breeze and waves you could become exhausted far to quickly. Exhaustion kills even very good sailors.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 07:24   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Hey John,
thanks for your comment and advise. I am not sure the year of my Hobie however from your comment I can say that it's a post 85'. The mast as a top part in fiberglass. When I boat the boat the hulls were in good shape. However, I replace all cables and I am now fixing the rudders.
Adding a reef is a create suggestion that I need to look in more detailed. I have a hobie 14 as well could I take the sail of the Hobie 14 which is much smaller in case of big weather?

Sincerely

Juan
The hull number will tell you the year of your boat.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 07:36   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hey John,
thanks for your comment and advise. I am not sure the year of my Hobie however from your comment I can say that it's a post 85'. The mast as a top part in fiberglass. When I boat the boat the hulls were in good shape. However, I replace all cables and I am now fixing the rudders.
Adding a reef is a create suggestion that I need to look in more detailed. I have a hobie 14 as well could I take the sail of the Hobie 14 which is much smaller in case of big weather?

Sincerely

Juan
No, don't. I have sailed a Hobie 14 in up to 40 knots of wind. They are extremely difficult to tack in that amount of wind....which means you will have to gybe the boat. Hobie 14's don't have all that much displacement in the forward bows. You have to get back all the way on the aft crossbar to gybe the boat in heavy airs in order to prevent a pitchpole. You also wont be able to point worth a darn in heavy airs.

Are you considering doing this solo? If so, dont. If you should capsize in a Hobie 18, you will never be able to right the boat with just one person. I never sailed my Hobie 18 solo unless it were very light winds where I knew I was not going to capsize.

Old 27-01-2009, 08:06   #21

Hello Juanpablo. I grew up on a Hobie 16 (Sail number 10822) and went to a Nacra 5.8 (Sail number 366) in 1984. I have made the crossing from Lauderdale to Bimini twice back in the mid 1980's on the Nacra. I wouldn't recommend the trip on a Hobie because the leeward hull has a tendency to bury, stop the boat right now and make the skipper and/or crew unto a tether ball tied to a maypole. Hanging by a trapeze, stuck to the jib with your feet facing skyward is not a good place to be in 6 foot seas and 20 knot breezes.

I still sail my Nacra quite a bit and have introduced many Hobie sailors to the handling of the boat in high winds. When the leeward hull buries on the Nacra, you can actually sheet the main in. The hull will bury to the front crossbar and then because of the rounded hulls and increased bouyancy, will actuall burst right back to the top of the water. Many Hobie sailors just stare with wonder at this phenomenon.

When I went I had two compasses fitted to my hull access holes. I averaged about 10 knots for the trip and arrived pretty tired. Waves were about 4-6 feet, very tight and washed over the tramp on many occasions. Get a good dry bag. A ziplock baggie will only insure that your wallet, money and incidentals stay soaked in water for the entire trip. Trust me, I know. I added a cleat to my mast to secure a proper dry bag on the second trip. I kept the trap harness attaached for most of the trip. I don't believe the wings will help at all and may be a hinderance when encountering waves. I've seen more than one Hobie get flipped by a wave braking over the wing. Also, I would be a bit concerned with the fiberglass tipped mast. My boat has a 10:1 downhaul and I'm able to twist the top of my mast quite a bit and depower the main at will. That would be iffy with a two piece mast. Something may break.

All in all it was a very satisfying trip although not one that I'd like to attempt today. I went in June and had great winds and mild seas. I was only airborn a few times. I didn't check in with customs (1985 or so) but I had no problems. I'm sure things have changed. I made a shelter for my deck out of used battens and a piece of nylon sprayed with water repellent. That was my bedroom.

If you decide to go you may want to talk to some cruiser and plan your trip and heading based on his course. If there were to be a problem he'd be right behind you. If the seas get crazy, he may even pass you. Feel free to PM me and dicuuss the good and bad. Have a great day and fair winds.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 09:03   #22

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
A.) He's not talking about taking a 14, he's talking about using a 14 mainsail as a reef option. I don't know how well that would work as the 14 has a bolt rope on the foot, whereas the 18 is a loose footed design.

B.) He has an 18, not a 16. The 18 is much closer in design to the Nacra 5.7 than the 16.

On the wings question. I converted my 18 to an sx18. Love the comfort, love being higher and out of the water washing over the boat. The added weight nullified the added sail area, and made the boat sit lower in the water so more waves hitting the underside, wing struts, etc.

I'd hesitate to do this trip unless you're an experienced heavy air open water sailor.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 11:11   #23
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Nice post, Bill B! Good, solid advice!
Old 27-01-2009, 12:32   #24

Boat: Hobie Cat
Dear Bill, John, Hud and so many,

Thanks for your advices. I have been sailing for 4 years now and I would like to do this trip with my brother.

I have a Hobie 14 and 18 but my goal is to take the 18 which is much more stable and comfortable. I have capsized twice by myslef with the 18 and was able to right it only once. But I will not do that trip by myself anyway.

Since I own a 14 I was wondering if I could use the 14 sail for the 18. The wind is slightly pick in up so I might just trip today.

I have sail a couple time with wing on a 18 of a friend, it was very comfortable to seat higher of the water but the water was very calm. I do not have experience rough water with the wing.

Is it possible to load video in this forum? I could show you my boat gliding on hull... and finally capsizing hahaha

Have a good day

Sincerely,

Juan Pablo
juanpablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 13:12   #25
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Jaun , Im a bit surprized you have only capsized the boat twice in 4 years of sailing! I would expect to tip it about once a day! Of course I was always pushing things to the limit wile flying the hull
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 13:51   #26

Boat: Fastback 43
juanpablo,
I like your sense of adventure. I have sailed a hobie 16 for over 25 years, including some time on Lake Erie in 5-foot waves. I flip my boat regularly because I like to push the limits. I have only one piece of advice for you: take your crew and practice righting your boat dozens of times before you make the trip! There are many simple things that can be done to make righting easie, but you need to learn them and get considerable practice in large waves or you will be in trouble.

Have fun and good luck!
bix85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 15:14   #27

A float on the top of the mast will help keep the boat from turtling.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 15:35   #28

Boat: Hobie Cat
Hey guys,

I capsize the 14 pretty much every time that I take it out. However, when I take the 18 by myself I am always a little more cautious because I know that it is a problem for me to right it by myself. When I go with my brother we capsize quite a bit.

I just want to do that trip to have fun and to have good memories with my brother. I like the adventure but I just want to know in what kind of trouble I am getting into.

I have installed a Hobie float in top of the mast. I am having trouble with my rudder lately. They seem to delaminate. I think that they are build in two sections and they are coming apart.

good day

Juan Pablo
juanpablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 18:47   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hey guys,

I capsize the 14 pretty much every time that I take it out. However, when I take the 18 by myself I am always a little more cautious because I know that it is a problem for me to right it by myself. When I go with my brother we capsize quite a bit.

I just want to do that trip to have fun and to have good memories with my brother. I like the adventure but I just want to know in what kind of trouble I am getting into.

I have installed a Hobie float in top of the mast. I am having trouble with my rudder lately. They seem to delaminate. I think that they are build in two sections and they are coming apart.

good day

Juan Pablo
I think you can still buy ABS rudders. Solid plastic wont delaminate of course. You can also make your own rudders for a lot less money than the hundreds of dollars that Hobie wants, although they won't be class legal for racing.

Old 27-01-2009, 19:53   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I like the adventure but I just want to know in what kind of trouble I am getting into.
On a trip of this length it's not always possible to know the end of the trip as well as the start. There is a risk. Messing with the Gulf Stream is not an amateur event. A wind shifting to the north could be more than just a handful. Since you can't really know everything it's why it's an adventure. This trip is more about picking the weather than anything else. It seems you already understand the boat well enough. It's being able to handle the distance and the conditions. You need light air to not get bashed about and you need enough air to actually get there. Its' a pretty narrow window to work in. Patience will rule the days over and back.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Bimini Islands, florida, hobie cat, miami