Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2016, 05:50   #76

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Help with Rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's different -- conquest vs colonialism. Conquest in the Western Hemisphere was ghastly and completely indefensible. Total vicious genocide.

But that's not what was done in places like the French Caribbean, or indeed in India.
The error of applying modern standards of behaviour to historical occurrences. Europeans were not treating each other any differently in Europe at that time.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 16:03   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian Mulcahy View Post
I think that the history of military activities in India reveals a rather less cosy view of the Raj than is often portrayed.
There was never more than 16,000 British troops and British civil servants in India. The population of the country (that also included what is now Pakistan, Myanmar, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka) was over 300 million at the height of the Raj. That is 20,000 Indians for each Briton. Such a puny contingent could not have had authority without the active consent and cooperation of the population. It cannot have been coerced with military might, that anyway only consisted of single shot rifles and muzzle-loading cannon.
Mirror16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 12:34   #78

Boat: Beneteau 49

One barrel rum out of Belize is very good.
sterlinghuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 12:35   #79

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinghuff View Post
One barrel rum out of Belize is very good.

I will politely disagree, unless you tell me it's good for cleaning parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 12:58   #80

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
A friend who has a Euro passport tells me about visiting Cuba as cruiser in the early-mid 90s when they would re-fill empty bottles you'd bring to the rum distillery at the equivalent of about 50c per liter. Later on he says the prices jumped to about $1.50-2.00 and lately, since the past 10-15 years, these re-fills are gone and the prices are on par with DR or other similar places in the neighborhood. One more place becomes the victim of globalization.
Had the tap refils still -03 in Santiago de Cuba with a few pesos nacionales. Sorry to hear they are history. My taste is not as sophisticated as Boatmans so a vote for Havana Club Anejo 7 Anjos.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 19:46   #81

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I will politely disagree, unless you tell me it's good for cleaning parts.
Another :thumbdown: for One Barrel. Used to live in Belize...cant stand the stuff.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 00:46   #82

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Having not sailed in the Caribe I lack perspective, but I found Bacardi Solera 12 year old to be pretty nice sipping in Mexico. And I find Pusser's to be barely drinkable, Boatie, harsh and chemical-like in flavour.

And despite my generally favorable reaction to things Australian, Bundy rum is unspeakably vile.

Different strokes...

Jim
Old 17-10-2016, 10:55   #83

Perhaps it has already been stated in the numerous responses; Rhum agricole, prepared from cane juice rather than molasses, is in this botmans' opinion among the best of distilled spirits. There are a number of labels out of Martinique ( and perhaps other French islands) as well as Barbencourt, produced in Haiti. The aged rhums from these makers resembles a fine cognac, that is marvelous for sipping. Look for "Depaz" blue cane, Clement, Duquesne, Neisson, La Favorite &etc.
I'd sail to Martinique just to lay in a store of these spirits.
douglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 14:52   #84

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglong View Post
Perhaps it has already been stated in the numerous responses; Rhum agricole, prepared from cane juice rather than molasses, is in this botmans' opinion among the best of distilled spirits. There are a number of labels out of Martinique ( and perhaps other French islands) as well as Barbencourt, produced in Haiti. The aged rhums from these makers resembles a fine cognac, that is marvelous for sipping. Look for "Depaz" blue cane, Clement, Duquesne, Neisson, La Favorite &etc.
Yah, I was in Martinique recently and visited the Saint James distillery, cool place to visit, and good rum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1476741217420.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	133038   Click image for larger version

Name:	1476741253460.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	133039  

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 16:26   #85

Just my 2 cents but I find Flora de Cana and English Harbour both very smooth aged 5 or more years
Jackthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 19:20   #86

Boat: Trisbal 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglong View Post

Totally agree about preferring the less syrupy "rhum agricole". And in case some of you are wondering about the labelling of such "rhum vieux agricole", VO means aged a minimum of 3 years, VSOP a minimum of 4, and XO a minimum of 6. That should help you select the best among fine rums.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 22:38   #87

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I like different rums based on my company. I know that sounds trite but its true. Sometimes I am with my drinking friends that just want a good mojito. Well, a good mojito can be made with Don Q crystal. Other times I am in the mood for a Kraken and Coke, Old Bahama and Coke, or a Captain Private stock with coke. Most of the time I am with rum aficionados and we like most Martinique rums of almost any brand, Juan Bacardi, Zacapa, Angustura, El Dorado... life is too short to be stuck on one rum!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 23:15   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Other times I am in the mood for a Kraken and Coke, Old Bahama and Coke, or a Captain Private stock with coke.
If you're adulterating it with coke, why bother about the quality of the rum - any cheap old sh*t will do.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 07:25   #89

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
If you're adulterating it with coke, why bother about the quality of the rum - any cheap old sh*t will do.

I hear ya! We don't really consider any of those high quality rums. We found that old bahama rum is the best deal going!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 04:21   #90

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Why bother about quality? If you don't mind consuming random fusel oils, then by all means drink the cheapest stuff you can find. If you mix with cola or something else, you really won't notice any difference in flavor.
The only real difference will be evident the next day.

The head of a distillation contains methanol, and will make you go blind, or kill you.
The heart of a distillation is very nearly pure ethanol. This is where the good stuff comes from.
The tails contain a lot of ethanol, but also higher levels of fusel oils, which is bad mojo in the morning.

At the same time I agree that it is a shame to adulterate good spirits, except perhaps with a splash of water.
becrux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum