Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2016, 05:58   #61

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Help with Rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Antipodea is a great place, the people are friendly, it is safe to walk the streets at night, the public toilets are kept clean and you can drink the water out of the taps.

The people of many of the countries de-colonised were actually far better off when they were still colonies. For instance Zimbabwe.

From the look of U.S. politics at the moment, from the outside, the White House could do with another burning down.
There are plenty of different types of colonies. OZ, N.Z, the US and Canada are colonies occupied mainly, certainly originally by the colonizers. They have become GB-West-Atlantic or GB-South Pacific. You have in between the beneficially colonised countries like Zimbabwe as you mention India, Pakistan and Uganda, where so many of its citizens are proud to be associated with Britain and thankful for the colonial heritage. Then again you have the other extreme. The Japanese occupation and sometimes called colonization of China. That became a miserable blood bath and so you might expect the Chinese for example to have a different view of colonization. Maybe that is where Barnakiel and Belle-Isle come from, not France, though still, I struggle to understand why for the French and a few others that the word colony strikes a negative chord. Maybe it is in the schooling, maybe someone's idea of P.C. thinking. But mostly as Dockhead puts well, the British idea of a colony holds nothing negative.

I was so sure it was inoffensive that when clearing into customs in Montserrat I asked if there were reduced customs/immigration procedures or considering I was a Brit in territory of what really is a small remaining part of the British Empire. There was no special treatment unfortunately and the officials didn't seem one little bit upset by my suggestion.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:56   #62

Boat: CS36T

Ron Zacappa Solera 23, but be warned you will be spoiled
Old 09-10-2016, 08:39   #63

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS Cruiser View Post
Ron Zacappa Solera 23, but be warned you will be spoiled

+1000

That's the good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:06   #64

Boat: a sailing boat

Are all rums that came of age universally good, or are there any old rums that should be avoided?

The real old stuff I have tried out was great, but not beyond the level of plain quality 7 years soleras from quality companies like Brugal or Havana Club.

?

I ask this as I can easily notice change from young rum to old ('old' = 5, 7 or 12 years) but I fail to sense the same amount of shift tasting plain old versus 20+ old bottles.

You could sell me a bottle of 7 years for 25 years and I would be all smiles, ignorant.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 13:32   #65

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Are all rums that came of age universally good, or are there any old rums that should be avoided?

The real old stuff I have tried out was great, but not beyond the level of plain quality 7 years soleras from quality companies like Brugal or Havana Club.

?

I ask this as I can easily notice change from young rum to old ('old' = 5, 7 or 12 years) but I fail to sense the same amount of shift tasting plain old versus 20+ old bottles.

You could sell me a bottle of 7 years for 25 years and I would be all smiles, ignorant.

b.

Some I can tell the difference, some I cannot. Ron Zacapa, I can tell the difference.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 15:32   #66

Boat: PEARSON 422

+2 on the Zacapa, +3 on the Havana Club. Both excellent choices!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:25   #67

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

?

b.
To my palate the magic starts to happen at about 7-8 years and gets better from there. Cant think of any aged rums Ive tried that weren't at least good.

Ive tried most of the Ron Botran line and I like their line down to about 8 years. Below that you get more alcohol harshness and you need to mix them.

Now living in Panama, but just have not developed a taste for Ron Abuelo, but Ive yet to try their older rums because at that price point I can get Flor de Caña or Ron Zacapa aged rums, but really should try it for research purposes.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:51   #68

Boat: Sadler Starlight 39 - Kathleen Love

The 'benefits' of colonization really ought to be viewed from the point of view of the indigenous inhabitants. The record of treatment, historical and current, of Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, Kanaks in New Caledonia and the various civilizations of South America is not something that European colonizers should be proud of.

PS A vote for Cruzan rum from St Croix and Longueteau Rhum from Guadeloupe (worth seeking out if in the area).
Gillian Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 06:32   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillian Mulcahy View Post

(...)

Longueteau Rhum from Guadeloupe (worth seeking out if in the area).
THX for this tip. We intend to be there this coming winter. Will try this one out then!

Cheers,
b.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:39   #70

Quote:

PS A vote for Cruzan rum from St Croix and Longueteau Rhum from Guadeloupe (worth seeking out if in the area).
Gillian, you may like to hear this:

Having read the name of the rhum in your post, I headed to google to have a look at the label (I memorize images better than names). To my big surprise this is exactly the rhum we brought from Guadeloupe last time round, as a gift to a friend here (Canary Islands).

Indeed this friend said the rhum was excellent.

So this time there will be no gifting, just tasting with our own buds!

PS Canary Islands have our own rhums (rons) too, but nothing spectacular.

Thanks for sharing!
barnakiel
Las Palmas
Old 11-10-2016, 12:18   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
. . . From the look of U.S. politics at the moment, from the outside, the White House could do with another burning down.
I agree! We are not looking much like we deserve independence, at the moment.

On the other hand, the Mother Country's politics are at times even more idiotic than ours.

It's enough to make you an anarchist. . .
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:21   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
The 'benefits' of colonization really ought to be viewed from the point of view of the indigenous inhabitants. The record of treatment, historical and current, of Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, Kanaks in New Caledonia and the various civilizations of South America is not something that European colonizers should be proud of. .
That's different -- conquest vs colonialism. Conquest in the Western Hemisphere was ghastly and completely indefensible. Total vicious genocide.

But that's not what was done in places like the French Caribbean, or indeed in India.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 13:04   #73

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Pusser's... with Lambs Navy in second..
I just found a half bottle of Pussers on our boat. The previous owner's liked company and left us with a substantial stash of everything so I made a rule to keep only 3/4 full or better bottles. But this one is only half full. I kept it anyway. Judging by the sheer number of corks for Pussers in the lockers, it must go down well
Old 12-10-2016, 05:20   #74

Boat: Sadler Starlight 39 - Kathleen Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's different -- conquest vs colonialism. Conquest in the Western Hemisphere was ghastly and completely indefensible. Total vicious genocide.

But that's not what was done in places like the French Caribbean, or indeed in India.
I think that the distinction between conquest and colonization may be a fine one from the point of view of the indigenous people. The military conquest of parts of South America by the Spanish and the establishment of colonies in Virginia by the English seem to have had similar long term outcomes for those people.

There are no pre Columbian people left in the Caribbean. I think that the history of military activities in India reveals a rather less cosy view of the Raj than is often portrayed, although thealter transfer of power was probably better handled than elsewhere apart from the partition of India and Pakistan.
Gillian Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:30   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help with Rum

Quote:
although thealter transfer of power was probably better handled than elsewhere apart from the partition of India and Pakistan.
So what would you have done..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum