Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 20:02   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 40 Trawler Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl
Help! Exumas Cruising Questions

Having sailed my boat up from the BVIs to Florida via the Exumas a couple of years ago, I came to realize that I would have to return there and spend a couple of weeks exploring these wonderful islands that are so different from the Abacos.

As I contemplate a trip, I was hoping to tap into some of the experience on this board. Would anyone kindly provide some thoughts on the following?
  1. What weather and sea conditions can be expected in late-May and early-June? Or would early- to mid-July be preferable?
  2. Is this a popular time for the Exumas? Would we have difficulty getting the occasional dockage along the way without advance reservations?
  3. If leaving from Bimini, what is the customary and usual route to Nassau (where we will drop off and pickup some guests before heading south)?
  4. Is there an interesting island to spend a day or two en route and breakup the trip? Chub or Whale Cay, for example? FYI, my boat is 40-feet and carries a 5-foot draft.
  5. Is there a safe, comfortable, and conveniently located marina that won't break the bank for 3-4 days in Nassau?
  6. When departing Nassau for Highbourne Cay, is it best to sail around the eastern end of New Providence, or is there an advantage to going west? Route suggestions?
  7. With a couple of 13yo boys onboard anxious to snorkel, explore, and occasionally socialize what are the 'must see' places in the Exumas north of George Town? Already on the list are Highbourne, Norman's, and Staniel Cay.
  8. Both boys are SCUBA qualified – is there a recommended dive operation along the way where we might want to book a two-tank dive?
Thanks for looking this over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Kim Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 09:25   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Help! Exumas Cruising Questions

Steve Pavilidis' Exuma Guide can tell you much more than I can. You should also get the Explorer charts for the area.
I love the Exumas. Make sure to stop at Shroud Cay.
Old 17-04-2015, 09:34   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 40 Trawler Hinckley Bermuda 40 Yawl

Thanks, Mike. I have both Steve's Exuma Guide (2009 ed.) as well as the Explorer charts. We'll definitely checkout Shroud Cay - that's a new one for me!

I've sorted out a few of the issues since my initial post. What would still be helpful would be some opinions on the following:
  1. Records show that late-May and early-June is the rainy season for the Exumas. Is this the usual afternoon thunderstorm with generally clear skies between cloud bursts? Or can you expect all-day rainy conditions?
  2. Is this high season for the Exumas? Will we have difficulty getting the occasional dockage along the way without advance reservations?
  3. Is there an interesting island to spend a day or two en route to Nassau from Bimini to breakup the trip? Chub Cay, for example? FYI, my boat is 40-feet and carries a 5-foot draft.
  4. With a couple of 13yo boys onboard anxious to snorkel, explore, and occasionally socialize what are the 'must see' places in the Exumas north of George Town? Already on the list are Highbourne, Norman's, and Staniel Cay.
  5. Both boys are SCUBA qualified – is there a recommended dive operation where we might want to book a dive?
Thanks again for any help!
Kim Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 13:48   #4
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Petersen View Post
Thanks, Mike. I have both Steve's Exuma Guide (2009 ed.) as well as the Explorer charts. We'll definitely checkout Shroud Cay - that's a new one for me!

I've sorted out a few of the issues since my initial post. What would still be helpful would be some opinions on the following:
  1. Records show that late-May and early-June is the rainy season for the Exumas. Is this the usual afternoon thunderstorm with generally clear skies between cloud bursts? Or can you expect all-day rainy conditions?
  2. Is this high season for the Exumas? Will we have difficulty getting the occasional dockage along the way without advance reservations?
  3. Is there an interesting island to spend a day or two en route to Nassau from Bimini to breakup the trip? Chub Cay, for example? FYI, my boat is 40-feet and carries a 5-foot draft.
  4. With a couple of 13yo boys onboard anxious to snorkel, explore, and occasionally socialize what are the 'must see' places in the Exumas north of George Town? Already on the list are Highbourne, Norman's, and Staniel Cay.
  5. Both boys are SCUBA qualified – is there a recommended dive operation where we might want to book a dive?
Just my experiences -

1. Plenty of sunshine, but definitely thunderstorms to deal with often during these months. We were in Georgetown through mid-June of 2013. The worst storms we experienced were between 3am-5am on several occasions.

2. Everyone is gone by June, at least in GT. Returning, we were the only boat anchored at Blackpoint late June. Not what you expect there. Very few boats at Staniel (even the cruiser's net had been discontinued at that time). Basically, you'll have the Exumas to yourself.

3. Bimini to Nassau is a long run. We've never stopped at Chub, so can't comment. Instead, we go up to Bullock's Harbor in the Berry's. Not much there, but a good anchorage. Once you have settled weather, go over to the east side and explore Frozen/Alder's Cay. Very nice, and beautiful water. We leave from here to Nassau.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frozen, Alders Cays anchorage.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	395.1 KB
ID:	100595

4. No one has mentioned Warderick Wells (Exumas Land and Sea Park). Take a mooring at the north mooring field by the office. Call ahead to check if a mooring is available. There is some great snorkeling to be had there, so can't imagine the boys wouldn't love this place. Leave your boatname on a piece of driftwood up on Boo Boo Hill.

Name:	fugue at warderick wells mooring field.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	100596

Name:	Beverly at boo boo hill.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	100597

Also, on the way, stop at Allan's Cay and feed the Iguanas. It gets crowded there in the winter, but should be plenty of room to anchor in May/June.

Name:	Beverly feeding iguanas.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	100598

Name:	Fugue and <a title=dinghy at Allans Cay.jpg Views: 469 Size: 400.9 KB ID: 100599" style="margin: 2px" />

5. Not sure of commercial dive operations myself.

Have a blast. We miss the Exumas, and heading back soon.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 14:04   #5

I haven't been to the Exumas that late in the season so no help there. Some other points:

There are several dive operators in Bimini but I don't remember seeing anything but snorkel trips in the Northern Exumas. Must be there but no a big thing.

Consider the Berry's between Bimini and Nassau. Worth several days. Beaches as good as the Exumas with no crowd. We didn't enjoy the scene at Chub Cay as much as it was expensive and dominated by large fishing machines but Great Harbor Cay is a joy. We plan to return to Great Harbor for much longer next year. See Active Captain. Also diving in the Berry's

Berry Islands Bahamas Diving with Great Harbour Cay and Chub Cay

Compass Cay was our favorite marina in the norther Exumas. Pretty, laid-back. The boys will love swimming with the nurse sharks while they wait for the very friendly staff to barbeque them a burger.

"Must do's". You have to go see the swimming pigs even though it is ridiculous. Bring the James Bond Thunderball DVD with you and the music on a waterproof Ipod for the must snorkel at Thunderball Groto. Note, this is very hard snorkeling except at slack tide and slack high tide requires a lengthy underwater swim to get in and out. Also bring the Pirates of the Carribean music for when you go past Johnny Depp's island. The boys can fantasize about an invitation ashore for a party with Hollywood starlets. When that fails they can snorkel on the crashed small plane nearby. Anchor at Black Point -- our favorite Bahamas "community" - buy fresh baked bread (order at least two loaves for each boy the night before to make sure they won't go hungry)

Unless you are going to do the Atlantis thing in Nassau (in which case make reservations now for their marina to save the $200 a person day pass), I'd minimize my time in Nassau to provisioning. Instead have your friends take a 15 minute flight from Nassau to either Great Harbor Cay (Lee Air) or Staniel Cay (Pineapple Air). See picture below of Staniel Cay "airport".

Provisioning options are very thin between Nassau and Georgetown. Not much on the shelves and even less if it's been a few days since the weekly mailboat delivery. While your boys won't starve, they may look worried. Stock up in Nassau (Fresh Market is the closest to a US market) or before leaving the US. They will pick you up and bring you back to several Nassau marinas)

In Bimini go the the Batelco office and buy a SIM for an iphone or ipad (Verizon Iphones work fine). Use that as a hotspot for the other phones and tablets aboard. 3G data is only $30 for 2GB. They have very good coverage and speed is often better than marina wifi. Warn the boys that they won't be streaming video or tunes (perhaps worse than being hungry!). Have them tell their friends not to text them except by Apple Imessage or other internet service. The SMS charges from the states are applied to both sending and receiving ends.

Prepaid

Don't expect an ATM to be handy and credit card machines are often down. There are sometimes hefty surcharges for credit cards. Bring lots of cash (A night at a marina or a few $200 dinners can chew through cash pretty fast)

Even in summer, don't fight the weather. The waters around Nassau are deep and can be very rough. Staniel Cay reportedly throws everyone off the marina if strong westerlies are forecast because they're worried about their docks (with good reason).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 5.03.10 PM.png
Views:	310
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	100600  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 15:48   #6

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:

We have been going to the Bahamas for years during the summer as that's when the kids get out of school. You will have more chance of thunderstorms /squalls and as one poster mentioned "between 3 and 5 am" but nothing that would be a deal breaker. By mid July you will start to experience the tropical waves which can bring a few days of unsettled weather. May and June are wonderful. We just got back from an March/April trip and I must say it was nice not to have the rain.

Chub is not very interesting, how about Morgan's bluff andros?

For socializing north of GT only Staniel but you never know when or where you may meet another kid boat. GT usually has about 12-15 boats during summer and usually some kid boats.

Staniel has a dive operation.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 16:20   #7

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

1. What weather and sea conditions can be expected in late-May and early-June? Or would early- to mid-July be preferable? Afternoon storms during summer months.

2. Is this a popular time for the Exumas? Would we have difficulty getting the occasional dockage along the way without advance reservations? You shouldn't have trouble finding a spot in a marina or a mooring at park HQ

3. If leaving from Bimini, what is the customary and usual route to Nassau (where we will drop off and pickup some guests before heading south)? From Bimini across the bank to the Berries, then on to Nassau.
4. Is there an interesting island to spend a day or two en route and breakup the trip? Chub or Whale Cay, for example? FYI, my boat is 40-feet and carries a 5-foot draft. You shouldn't have trouble getting into Chub Marina.There's also a marina at Great Harbour.

5. Is there a safe, comfortable, and conveniently located marina that won't break the bank for 3-4 days in Nassau? It depends on what you view as safe.

6.When departing Nassau for Highbourne Cay, is it best to sail around the eastern end of New Providence, or is there an advantage to going west? Route suggestions? The Explorer Charts provide essential data for cruising.

7.With a couple of 13yo boys onboard anxious to snorkel, explore, and occasionally socialize what are the 'must see' places in the Exumas north of George Town? Already on the list are Highbourne, Norman's, and Staniel Cay. Don't miss the park headquarters. There are lots of places to snorkel or SCUBA.
Both boys are SCUBA qualified – is there a recommended dive operation along the way where we might want to book a two-tank dive?
Old 17-04-2015, 16:50   #8

It is hurricane season, you need to watch the weather long range forecast...
  1. What weather and sea conditions can be expected in late-May and early-June? Or would early- to mid-July be preferable? Mostly benign other than storms! See hurricane comment.
  2. Is there a safe, comfortable, and conveniently located marina that won't break the bank for 3-4 days in Nassau? I liked the Harbor Club, but been quite a while... They have (had?) a pool too.
  3. Both boys are SCUBA qualified – is there a recommended dive operation along the way where we might want to book a two-tank dive? Georgetown

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 03:28   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

I second the Berry islands. Great Harbour marina is a well protected and nice marina. The locals are friendly. The beaches are beautiful. There are great snorkeling areas. Bring Hawaiian slings and let the boys fish. Be sure to dinghy up shark creek if you go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 07:14   #10
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

From Bimini to the Exumas we usually stop and anchor on the banks if the weather is settled. Turn a mile or two off the way point tracks and put out plenty of lights and make sure you have a radar reflector.
We have stopped in Chub several times. Easy to get diesel there.
Bad holding, seen a couple of boats break holding and end up on the beach with a westerly wind.
(Chub is the reason I ditched the 35 lbs CQR and bought a Delta 55 lbs instead)
We usually avoid Nassau and anchor at nearby Rose Island instead.
Favorite spot is Hawksbill Cay. Pristine water, deserted beaches and hidden ruins in the bushes with stuff leftover from the Loyalist hundreds of years ago.
Sometimes we spend 7-10 days at Hawksbill.
Never seen the solar panels put out so much power as when anchored right there, and never seen green clouds anywhere else: The sea water is so bright green that the color reflects of the clouds...Amazing.
Been to Staniel a few times. Diesel and food items as well as bar and restaurant and cottages for rent if you get tired of the boat.
Also an airport with daily service to Florida.
We always went May and June to the Exumas, some thunderstorms but nothing that a good anchor can't handle. (Have seen gusts to 45 knots)
Old 18-04-2015, 08:58   #11

If you have time, be sure to get out to Conception Isl from G-town. Great snorkeling and exploring and spearfishing. The North/east end of the island in calm weather is a great snorkel, huge coral heads off a sand bottom. The lagoon accessed by short portaging thru the little creek is fun exploring too.

In Georgetown, go thru one of the cuts to the ocean side. Great snorkeling out there on the reef which then drops down to the sand bottom ocean side.

Mid day is best in the Bahamas if you don't like sharks. They seem to come out to forage at maybe 3:30 and later... and in the am. I've seen huge Hammerheads right in the harbor at G-town.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 09:26   #12

Boat: Knysna 480

Just left Cambridge Cay....great snorkeling. Across from Barraterre, from Atlantic cut into Boysie Cay. Blow hole, great beach, and seclusion. A bit further south, black Cay. Beautiful beach. Dinghy a cross to Exuma Point Bar and Grill. Only open Sat and Sun. Elvis and Maryanne will feed you well. He will tell you how to get to great diving hole close to there. Also in Rolleville, just south of Exuma Point, another fun restaurant, good food, very reasonable. Stocking Island, just north of St. Francis YC, a great hole to dive in. Right next to the no fishing sign. Everywhere here is great!
Sailingveterinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 10:25   #13

Boat: Lagoon 40

It looks like you have got some great input already, but I will go ahead and add my two-cents anyway. We sailed Abacos -Exumas- Miami and onwards last year, so my input is based on that wonderful trip. We had our teenager with us in the Exumas - so I base some of my suggestions on his input. I would suggest the reverse of our trip if you are headed directly to the Exumas from Miami (see below).

1. What weather and sea conditions can be expected in late-May and early-June? Or would early- to mid-July be preferable? - the crowd will be heading back by then. We headed back in May, but wish we had waited a little longer. We were worried about hurricane season, but in reality we should have done a little more research on when the risks really are. If staying in hurricane season, I would put some thought to locations where you could weather a storm.
  2. Is this a popular time for the Exumas? Would we have difficulty getting the occasional dockage along the way without advance reservations? my guess is no problem
  3. If leaving from Bimini, what is the customary and usual route to Nassau (where we will drop off and pickup some guests before heading south)? we decided to bypass Nassau completely. We did not see a reason to go there and had heard some stories about crime. The reverse of our trip would be North Cat Cay (or Bimini), to Chub Cay, to Spanish Wells, then take the Fleeming Chanel route to Exumas. We absolutely loved Spanish Wells. I was concerned about the route we took south, but if you keep to the waypoints it is just fine.
  4. Is there an interesting island to spend a day or two en route and breakup the trip? Chub or Whale Cay, for example? FYI, my boat is 40-feet and carries a 5-foot draft. Chub is OK - it is a resort that was not finished.....not sure it ever will be. We also stayed at North Cat which is a private island - nice, but over-priced.
  5. Is there a safe, comfortable, and conveniently located marina that won't break the bank for 3-4 days in Nassau?
  6. When departing Nassau for Highbourne Cay, is it best to sail around the eastern end of New Providence, or is there an advantage to going west? Route suggestions? - see above, I would bypass Nassau again. Unless I was taking teenagers to Atlantis
  7. With a couple of 13yo boys onboard anxious to snorkel, explore, and occasionally socialize what are the 'must see' places in the Exumas north of George Town? Already on the list are Highbourne, Norman's, and Staniel Cay. Must see - Staniel and Thunderball grotto; Swimming pigs (you have to do it once); Land and Sea park at Waderick Wells; Compass Cay (nurse sharks and just a way cool spot)
  8. Both boys are SCUBA qualified – is there a recommended dive operation along the way where we might want to book a two-tank dive?

I hope some of the above is of help. You can see more info about places we spent time on our humble blog (see link below). Wish I was heading that way this year!!

Fair winds
Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 10:38   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

Kim,
You've gotten some good info here already....and I won't quibble with most of it...
But, I'd like to add some additional info/context, as well as give you some direct and blunt advice/answers...(please forgive any bluntness here!

1) First off, my first cruise in the Bahamas / Exumas was in 1965....no, that's not a typo....1965 as a kid with my parents and siblings (all older)....and by the early 70's we were down island and all the way to Grenada, etc. and then by mid/late 70's across the Atlantic and a few years in the Med...
And, in the 90's and more recently, I've found my way to the Bahamas many times, as well as across the Atlantic again a few times and a bit thru the Caribbean again...
And, in all those years and along all those miles, the prettiest place with the nicest people, has been the Bahamas!! (and specifically the cent/southern Bahamas, including the Exumas!)
And, yes, I have cruised the Bahamas / Exumas during the summer months...

2) Secondly, I'm not a big marina/yacht club fan so some of my advice may be skewed to more remote locations, but nowadays even "remote locations" in the Bahamas aren't that remote!

3) Third...
Well, no polite way to say this...so here's the bluntness...
Stay away from Nassau at all costs!
Unless there is some specific reason to stop there, do yourself and family the favor and avoid Nassau...
If you're heading over from Florida, you won't use much in the way of provisions in the couple hundred miles from FL to Nassau, so no need to stop there....
{if you need fuel for some reason, you can get that in either Chub, Lyford Cay (even though it is "private", they openly welcome visitors for 3 days at a time....and it's a great place to stop, if you have to pick-up crew at the Nassau airport, as Lyford is near the airport, unlike Nassau proper!), or Highbourne...}
So, unless you absolutely must stop in Nassau for some reason, avoid it...

Now, if you must stop in Nassau....the Nassau Harbor Club is probably the best place to stay in regards to security....but be advised, even there nothing on your boat is actually safe...even a locked dinghy will be an easy catch for the skilled folks in Nassau...
(just a couple years ago, my brother was docked there for 2 nights and both nights there were boats robbed there and at Yacht Haven(?), while owners were on-board!!!)
And, the attitude of the Nassau locals reminds me of Miami or NY, etc....certainly a far cry from the friendly, family attitude of the rest of the wonderful Bahamians!!

BTW, once south of Nassau, dinghy theft is unheard of!!!
To the contrary, a couple years ago, a fellow sailor's dinghy had drifted away (I think off the beach as the tide came in), and a local Bahamian guy was towing it around the anchorage trying to find the boat it belonged to....
And, when he found the right boat, he wouldn't accept anything but a Thank You and a cold Coke!!!
There are damn few places in the world these days, where you will find folks as friendly / honest as in the cent/southern Bahamas...(ever wonder why they're called the "family islands", 'cause they were settled by "families" and have lived this way for generations!!)
I still smile at going to Sunday services with the locals in their churches....whether 7th Day Adventists (Landrail Point, I think?) or Catholic, or otherwise, they all welcome you like old friends and longlost family!!!
(just not in Nassau!)

4) Fourth, before I get to specifics, I need to recommend the "Yachtsman's Guide to the Bahamas"....
I've been a user of this guide for decades, and highly recommend it, as both a "guide book" and as a "navigation tool"....
There are no color photos or professionally drawn charts, like in Steve Pavilidis' Books or Explorers' Charts....BUT...
But, it does have wonderful B&W sketch charts and chartlets, as well as easy descriptions and some B&W photos....
And, most importantly it lends itself to the way you sail/navigate thru much of the Bahamas, by eye and water depth...
And, of course its spiral-winding and ease-of-use in the cockpit (or even dinghy), makes it the "Go-To" Bahamas guide book for just about everyone that's used it....

Spend the $45, and buy it...
2015 annual edition Yachtsman's Guide to the Bahamas, Yachtsmans Guide

5) Fifth....bring CASH!!!
The $300 entry fee is payable in US currency, CASH ONLY!!!
And, many places in the out islands prefer CASH...
And, there are few ATM's around....so bring CASH!!!

6) Now to some specifics in red...
Quote:
Is there a safe, comfortable, and conveniently located marina that won't break the bank for 3-4 days in Nassau?
If you must stop at New Providence Island (to pick-up / drop-off guests), I highly recommend Lyford Cay....near airport
Again, while a "private club", they do welcome visitors for up-to 3 days...and they do sell fuel, etc...
But, if you can avoid Nassau, do so!

And, if you need air transport, check out Watermakers Air from Ft. Laud to Staniel Cay / Blackpoint...
Watermakers Air
Staniel Cay/Exuma Cays | Watermakers Air
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT | Watermakers Air

When departing Nassau for Highbourne Cay, is it best to sail around the eastern end of New Providence, or is there an advantage to going west? Route suggestions?
Here again, I say avoid Nassau if you can...
But, if you do need to stop in New Providence, stop in Lyford Cay....

It is an easy route around Clifton Point...head southward thru the Tongue (hug the eastern edge of the Tongue, and you can do some good fishing), and then you can turn towards Highbourne, when Highbourne bears 103*M....
(our old navigation saying for this was: "Slip the Tongue, 'til Highbourne Key bears One Oh Three!")
You CAN do this route at night, rain or shine, without GPS or Explorer's Charts....I've done it myself, many times, and many years (decades) before GPS was even in existence, let alone Explorer's Charts!!!
Going across the Bank, this will keep you water of 12' - 20', the whole way to Highbourne....
(BTW, I'm 200 miles from my boat and charts, at the moment, and this old route is still stuck in my mind!)

If you actually do need to be in Nassau proper (the city), then going around the eastern end of New Providence keeps you from backtracking....and going this way, I highly recommend the Explorer's Charts...

With a couple of 13yo boys onboard anxious to snorkel, explore, and occasionally socialize what are the 'must see' places in the Exumas north of George Town? Already on the list are Highbourne, Norman's, and Staniel Cay.
Allen's, Conception, Rum...etc...
And, if you have the time/inclination to venture further, check out Long Island, the Ragged Islands, etc. (as well as Eluthera)

Both boys are SCUBA qualified – is there a recommended dive operation along the way where we might want to book a two-tank dive?
I take my own tanks/gear, so haven't used local dive operators, except for re-fills...
But, talk to David at Staniel Cay Yacht Club, and ask him for recommends...
Quote:

Records show that late-May and early-June is the rainy season for the Exumas. Is this the usual afternoon thunderstorm with generally clear skies between cloud bursts? Or can you expect all-day rainy conditions?
Not nearly as rainy as S. Florida!!
Some occasional cloudiness over the islands, and scattered showers, is typical...
(but, even if it does rain...it is a nice refreshing shower, get out your soap/shampoo and enjoy!)

Is this high season for the Exumas? Will we have difficulty getting the occasional dockage along the way without advance reservations?
Summertime is low-season....and won't be crowded at all...

Is there an interesting island to spend a day or two en route to Nassau from Bimini to breakup the trip? Chub Cay, for example? FYI, my boat is 40-feet and carries a 5-foot draft.
In addition to my warning of Nassau, and others mentioning of their favs (especially Warderick Wells and Staniel Cay, both of which are two of my favs, as well!!!), Allen's Cay is also nice...and if you want to get away from it all / do some diving away from anywhere, you can go to Conception Is. or Rum Cay...

I do hope this helps...

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 10:00   #15

John, Thank you very much for sharing your extensive knowledge. I am departure on May 11th to the Exumas via North Bimini. My sailboat (Oceanis 38) has an average of 6.5 knots
and I was advised to not arrive at Chub Cay after the sunset.
Since it is a 13 hour passage at least, I am thinking to departure Alice Town at 3 AM, cross the bank, pass Chub Cay Marina and drop anchor near Barry Island Club / Frazer's Hog Cay. Next day straight to the Exumas, bypassing New Providence.
Do you think this is a good plan, or have other suggestions?
Very good posting.
Cheers
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, exumas