Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 03:53   #31

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria
Re: Hells Gate NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Hit it at slack tide was totally delightful. Coming out of the mouth was a different story. The ferries do not mess around and there were a whole lot of them. Anchored between the statue and Ellis island. Out of the cable area. I used the gps to find a position outside the safety zones of both. Police boat came by once at night and once in the am. Didn't come near me. Quite the view. Attachment 89358

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Did you pull up anything interesting with your anchor? Great picture. Great view.
CruisingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:04   #32

Re: Hells Gate NYC

I'm not sure. There was a pretty big swell on my beam so I put out a stern anchor to keep me more in line with the waves. I've done this. Wrote but never in such a current. Later on I had to move the stern anchor to the bow because the current had changed. In the morning when I tried to pull what was the stern anchor it was fouled on another chain. I'm not sure if it was chain from my own anchor or another chain. When I pulled up my bow anchor the chain was twisted into a knot. I'm not sure if that's because of fouling the stern anchor or because I'd turned so many times but it was a pain to clear.

I did put a fender on the bow anchor as a trip but ultimately I didn't need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc