Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2012, 12:03   #1

HELLO: SAILING FROM JAX, FLORIDA TO PUERTO RICO..ANY INPUT APPRECIATED. THANK YOU

Hello: i decided on October 9th. IM RETIRING. I looked at LA PAZ...AND PUERTO RICO. so my dollar go's farther. IM NORWEGIAN. however, i live in seattle and hold us citizenship my whole life. grew up on boats. sailed all over the world. for the most part it's been around the puget sound/gulf and san juan islands. however. i worked in the bering sea as a fisherman for a living, russia, (sea of okhosk) norway, the atlantic and i've even sailed in the middle of the dessert, lake meade, nv)
that being said im selling everything..ie; home, vw passat, motorcycle, truck w/camper, 73 chevy nova muscle car toy, 18ft powerboat in my driveway on a double axle trailer, boat in mybackyard, my sailboat at the marina...a whole house full of stuff, gear etc etc......
im starting over for the 2nd half of my life in PR or la paz. so.......
my question is....im thinking of going to JAX florida and sailing to PR. anyone done this....and yes, i know there are a lot of you who have. i've heard kinda...thru the grapevine that what i do is head east...catch the winds then turn south...if this is correct....can someone give me input?
OR, if anyone knows. can i just fly to PR and buy a boat at an economical LOW LOW LOW price? im talking $2500.00 or so?
i just need about a little 27 or 25 footer so i can sail, or take off for the weekend...set her up with solar panels and be very frugal.
up here in SEATTLE where the economy JUST GOT BUSTED A GUY can pickup a boat at auction for next to nothing if he's willing to put some elbow grease into her...
my biggest worry is that PR isn't going to have that many options....as if it's a 3rd world country OPPOSED TO BOAT'S AND SAILORS BEING ALL OVER the place like here in SEATTLE.
WHAT DO YOU THINK, and again, thank you ahead of time for your response. and ANY INPUT WILL BE APPRECIATED AND RESPECTED.
SINCERELY;
STEPHEN KENNETH RONNING, SEATTLE WA S/V LYKKE (norwegian for happiness) AND S/V ELSKEDE (norwegian for 'love')
elskede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, sailing