Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2011, 02:11   #1

Have You Seen the Price of Mooring Balls in Florida Lately ?

Their outrageous for what they are. $20 a day, or 360 a month in St Aug! Transient slips in some marinas are less than that and they give you water for free, generally free electric and you dont have to row in.
Soundtrackzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 03:16   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Seen the price of mooring balls in florida lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrackzz View Post
----- $20 a day, or 360 a month in St Aug! Transient slips in some marinas are less than that and they give you water for free, generally free electric and you dont have to row in.
Please let me know where in Florida I can find some of those cheap transient slips for my 40' boat.
Old 16-10-2011, 04:40   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Seen The Price of Mooring Balls in Florida Lately?

There is a great variety in costs for mooring balls in Florida, but they are generally far less expensive than the fees in New England. There are also many anchoring opportunities. Mooring fields have been increasing in number in Florida, but they are still not common. They are currently found in Fernandina, St. Augustine, Stuart, Vero Beach, Fort Lauderdale (very limited number), Miami (Dinner Key), Marathon, Key West, Fort Myers Beach and Fort Myers. I'm sure there are some I have not listed, but these are the ones that I am familiar with. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 16-10-2011, 04:45   #4

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce
There is a great variety in costs for mooring balls in Florida, but they are generally far less expensive than the fees in New England. There are also many anchoring opportunities. Mooring fields have been increasing in number in Florida, but they are still not common. They are currently found in Fernandina, St. Augustine, Stuart, Vero Beach, Fort Lauderdale (very limited number), Miami (Dinner Key), Marathon, Key West, Fort Myers Beach and Fort Myers. I'm sure there are some I have not listed, but these are the ones that I am familiar with. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
You are right. I am in New England. $20 is very very low compared to what we pay here! And you get nicer weather!

Never seen a slip anywhere for $20 - maybe $20 for one hour
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 05:07   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

$20 - another reason I need to move, because that is cheap to me
Old 16-10-2011, 05:17   #6

Boat: Rhodes 32
Hard to believe how beautiful the weather has gotten down in SE Florida the last few weeks. Perfect time of year with the ocean warm and air cool 70's. Those dockage numbers are similar rates I am used to quoting in Lauderdale.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 06:10   #7

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Boot Key Harbor , $275 per month which includes garbage and pump out once a week, dinghy dock, etc.

Don't know what's expensive about that, plus it's a protected harbor.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 14:41   #8

+1 Boot Key.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 16:45   #9

Boat: contessa 32
Re: Have You Seen the Price of Mooring Balls in Florida Lately ?

Learn to anchor and trust your technique; you will be way ahead of the game. When things blow up you will know what's holding your boat rather than hoping that all is well below on a mooring that may have been uninspected for many years. It is a high mark of seamanship and you cannot really claim to be a cruiser if you ae not accomplished in this art.
Do you think that your mooring will be waiting for you when you finally arrive in paridise?
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 17:28   #10

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Ha! They're $75 per night in Nantucket. Typically $40 per night in most of southern New England, and around $1200 to $1800 or more for a six-month rental. I've seen $85 per foot for a six-month rental mooring near Newport!

Still plenty of opportunity to anchor out in Florida, but if you want to keep it that way you'd better start writing and/or calling your political representatives, BoatUS, SSCA, and whomever you can think of. Check out the other thread running on here about what is happening in St. Augustine to limit and/or eliminate anchoring in conjunction with the Pilot Program. The same thing is happening in the five locations chosen for the Pilot Program. And "Pilot" means that they look at this as a way to test out anchoring laws that can be extended to other parts of Florida. Now is the time to nip it in the bud.
Old 16-10-2011, 17:41   #11

Boat: Lafitte 44

I am at Dinner Key in Miami and pay $294.00 monthly including tax and everything. Twice weekly pumpout service. Daily from 8:00AM to 5:00PM hourly shuttle service to land (weather permiting). Dinghy dock. Clean and I mean clean bathroom and shower facilities. Coin operated washers and dryers. Long term parking, if you have a car. Very trendy, safe neighborhood. No free electricity but free municipal freshwater.

And if you ask them they will point you out to free moorings next to their own facility and provide you free pumpout service twice in week in the free moorings also.

Disclaimer: I don't work for them, I am a satisfied customer.
erickbou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 17:49   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Learn to anchor and trust your technique; you will be way ahead of the game. When things blow up you will know what's holding your boat rather than hoping that all is well below on a mooring that may have been uninspected for many years. It is a high mark of seamanship and you cannot really claim to be a cruiser if you ae not accomplished in this art.
Do you think that your mooring will be waiting for you when you finally arrive in paridise?
There is no anchoring in the mooring fields. I prefer my own ground tackle to moorings, however in St. Augustine, formerly one of my stops on the way south the mooring fields have taken up all the areas where cruisers used to anchor. The choice now is to bypass St. Augustine or take a mooring.
Old 16-10-2011, 18:03   #13

fs mike
i'm at Hidden Harbor Marine in St Augustine. I've enjoyed it here, close to town but off the icw, nice people. 10 dollars a foot plus electric for liveaboard. They do have a web site. hiddenharbor.biz
mellowseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 18:06   #14

Whats happed in St Aug will happen in all of the other 5 pilot program cities and then to every city in florida after 2014. Once they make mooring fields then a city or county can outlaw any and all anchoring anywhere within the limits of that city or county. Its water facism
Soundtrackzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 18:13   #15

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Whats the point in buying quality anchor and chain if you dont use it?

Whats the point in having a mobile self sufficient home if you still insist on being chained to the cities?

Tags
florida, mooring