Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2011, 18:36   #16

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Re: Have You Seen the Price of Mooring Balls in Florida Lately ?

Mooring balls are $35 a day here in Annapolis. St. Augustine charges what they can because it's a charming place to visit.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 18:46   #17

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Go to marinersbarr.org for updated information on mooring fields and the status of anchoring rights in Florida.
Old 16-10-2011, 18:54   #18

Yeah, I hear you. They take up the good anchoring space and try to force you to pay $300 a month for what? A ball? If they hadnt put it there in the first place you'd be anchoring for free.
This is the type of thing people are demonstrating about throughout the country and world.
It's changed from:
"by the people,
for the people"
To:
"By the Government, for the Corporation..."

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 20:23   #19

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickbou
I am at Dinner Key in Miami and pay $294.00 monthly including tax and everything. Twice weekly pumpout service. Daily from 8:00AM to 5:00PM hourly shuttle service to land (weather permiting). Dinghy dock. Clean and I mean clean bathroom and shower facilities. Coin operated washers and dryers. Long term parking, if you have a car. Very trendy, safe neighborhood. No free electricity but free municipal freshwater.

And if you ask them they will point you out to free moorings next to their own facility and provide you free pumpout service twice in week in the free moorings also.

Disclaimer: I don't work for them, I am a satisfied customer.
Do you know if there is a boat size limit there? What is the depth? Are there moorings available?
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 05:11   #20

Boat: Rhodes 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickbou
I am at Dinner Key in Miami and pay $294.00 monthly including tax and everything. Twice weekly pumpout service. Daily from 8:00AM to 5:00PM hourly shuttle service to land (weather permiting). Dinghy dock. Clean and I mean clean bathroom and shower facilities. Coin operated washers and dryers. Long term parking, if you have a car. Very trendy, safe neighborhood. No free electricity but free municipal freshwater.

And if you ask them they will point you out to free moorings next to their own facility and provide you free pumpout service twice in week in the free moorings also.

Disclaimer: I don't work for them, I am a satisfied customer.
Welcome aboard erickbou. Good tip on Dinner Key.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 09:53   #21

Boat: gemini 3200

Titusville's new mooring field [opening Nov 1] is $15 a night and $220 a month.

CHeeRS!
-dennis
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 11:03   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla.sailor View Post
Titusville's new mooring field [opening Nov 1] is $15 a night and $220 a month.

CHeeRS!
-dennis
Where are the moorings going to be?
Old 17-10-2011, 11:19   #23

Found a plan for the mooring field for those that are interested.
Cruiser's Net » Archive » Titusville Mooring Field Nearing Completion (Statute Mile 879)
Old 18-10-2011, 19:50   #24

Boat: 1999 IP40, Charbonneau

I don't understand the complaint of the OP. Having lived on a Marathon mooring ball for 2 1/2 months last winter, (and it held me securely during a severe storm), I thought the price was exceptionally good...it included a weekly pump out at the boat, Internet connectivity in the community room, decent showers (this is one area for improvement), weekly seminars by energy experts while I was there, work rooms, fresh water for 5 cents a gallon, bicycle racks, a library within a quarter mile, good restaurants nearby, and ocean access within minutes...and on and on.

So, what's the problem? This is a beautiful, well run facility and you don't think it's worth $20 for a day??? Do you normally live in a hole??? The City has every right to develop their real estate and offset taxpayer burden...cities build stadiums, convention centers, ski slopes, toll roads...do you bitch because these amenities aren't free??? Everyone can't expect to receive entitlements!!! If you can't afford the $20, that's OK and understandable, but just anchor somewhere else and quit complaining!

Charbonneau
bchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 07:51   #25

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

+1 bchaps
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 08:32   #26

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III

The St. Augustine M. Marina used to charge $15 just for dingy dockage! $5 more to have a mooring ball and pump out isn't a bad thing IMHO. The last time we anchored there, we fouled our rode on our keel in the crazy strong currents running through there, lost our anchor (recovered later) and took a bite out of our keel that we are currently repairing. Anchoring in St. Augustine is an adventure!

As far as Titusville goes, you can pretty much anchor anywhere S of there for free. The Cocoa anchorage a bit S of Titusville (near the SR 520 bridge) is MUCH closer to restaurants, groceries, W. Marine, shopping, a mall, a park, & hardware and canvas shops (many of these w/in walking distance). There's not a whole lot near the TVille marina/mooring field. (No, I'm not a salesperson, I just live in the area).
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 08:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMorningStar View Post
The last time we anchored there, we fouled our rode on our keel in the crazy strong currents running through there, lost our anchor (recovered later) and took a bite out of our keel that we are currently repairing. Anchoring in St. Augustine is an adventure!

As far as Titusville goes, you can pretty much anchor anywhere S of there for free. The Cocoa anchorage a bit S of Titusville (near the SR 520 bridge) is MUCH closer to restaurants, groceries, W. Marine, shopping, a mall, a park, & hardware and canvas shops (many of these w/in walking distance). There's not a whole lot near the TVille marina/mooring field. (No, I'm not a salesperson, I just live in the area).
St. Augustine's anchorage is no different from any other that has strong currents. The holding is very good but if you're not using all chain you have to put weights on the rode so that you do not get keel wrapped when the tide turns. You only have to get keel-wrapped once to learn! A five pound vinyl dipped dumbbell on a ten foot line looped over your rode will prevent keel-wrapping. You must have been keel-wrapped for quite a while to lose your anchor. I am assuming that your rode chafed through on the thin rear edge of your keel.

Titusville has two good attractions to cruisers - propane refills within walking distance and a good grocery store for stocking up on reasonably priced canned goods. It's one of the few spots on the waterway where propane refilling is available within walking distance. Also if you're motoring down the waterway it's a day's run from Daytona.
Old 20-10-2011, 12:23   #28

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

Titusville also has a wildlife refuge just across the bridge, great for walking about.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 12:27   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMorningStar View Post
... The Cocoa anchorage a bit S of Titusville (near the SR 520 bridge) is MUCH closer to restaurants, groceries, W. Marine, shopping, a mall, a park, & hardware and canvas shops (many of these w/in walking distance)...
Dingy dockage?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 12:37   #30

Just checked the rates in San Diego Harbor ( San Diego Mooring Co) which range from $128 to $147 per month.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, mooring