Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2015, 20:39   #61
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Haiti attack on Cruisers.

Quote:
.I'd agree but would be called racist.
What? Racist for quoting facts?
Not sure anybody on this board invented reality or are responsible
for measuring IQ or the lack off?

Not rocket science, nor politically correct.
Just stay away from primitive place like Haiti and other such dumps if you want to
Keep your life and your boat.
Pretty simple really.
Old 18-04-2015, 21:37   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Looks like Haiti has an average IQ score of 67.

No wonder they can get their stuff together.

National IQ Scores - Country Rankings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'd agree but would be called racist.
The folks behind this research have pretty controversial reps in the research world. The Rushton dude who backed this group is a raving Canadian lunatic.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 21:44   #63
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
I'm happy with this thread, and glad there are so many people that know the deal about this part of the world. There was another thread along these lines recently where I thought some of the posters fell off the turnip truck, LAST NIGHT.

I have guards outside my home 24/7 armed with AK-47's and grenades....they're there for a reason, and it's money well spent.
We live in Whoville Massachusetts. Shots rang out at 4:30 am yesterday morning as my wife was getting ready for work. A drive by shooting next door, 40ft from the kitchen window, some gang members pumped 7 shots into the next door neighbor's house... the same house where their teenage kid was arrested two weeks ago for attempted murder.

My wife and I guard the inside of our house 24/7 with Ak47s and M4s. Don't understand how the local politicians get away with claiming crime is decreasing..... not around here anyway.

My wife didn't even seem upset; I asked her later why she didn't call the police? She said, "it's not like they will do anything about it." It's weird how we actually get used to this crap. It'll be interesting to see if the shooting even makes the local newspaper tomorrow.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 23:28   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

Not sure if this was tongue in cheek or not but let's add at least another two dozen Australian cities to the safe group as well as hundreds of safe remote anchorages.
Yes, Geneva harbour was definitely toungue in cheek.
Honesty commands to say that I have never been to Yokohama (casual name dropping based on the global reputation of Japan being a very safe country), Arkangelsk is (amongst others) a Russian Navy harbour, expect to be gently "looked after" by local autorities, which is nice in a way safety wise.
Australia, hundreds of anchorages, you meant thousands, but remained humble ?

Edit : Geneva (lake) Switzerland not Genova Med Italy.
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 00:26   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
So buying their fish and giving food was disrespectful of their culture ?? And what culture are we referring to, here ??
Correct, that deserve an explanation, above is an understatement in reference to the Italian tourists (an Italian lady skipper and NOT a tourist)...Fidji" thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ji-143716.html

Should you check this thread, according to a large number of posters, you will understand that if you infringe the local so called culture (imported less than 200 years ago) in disrespecting a dress code (that fits perfectly said posters own agenda), then it is absolutely normal if locals (bunch of Chavs, IMHO) retaliate into the form of verbal abuse, sexually explicit and agressive gesture toward a defenceless (dirty European) lady who of course has been "asking for it" (despite absolutely not a single evidence).

Back on thread, I am not stupid enough to compare both situations.
Still, I see an analogy : Defenceless people, easy preys.

Hans and Fein are in my thought, by now they have recovered from cuts and bruises, a broken arm is nothing, psychological consequences are a major concern.
I trust that the Dutch autorities did their best to comfort them, supplied them with a psychological assistance.
Looking forward to hear that they are back on Pelicaan and have set sail again.
Old 19-04-2015, 02:22   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_Marie View Post
. . .Arkangelsk is (amongst others) a Russian Navy harbour, expect to be gently "looked after" by local autorities, which is nice in a way safety wise.. . .
Arkhangelsk, which was Russia's main sea port before St. Petersburg was built, has at least three yacht clubs. I've never been there, but it must be high on the list of places to visit for any high-latitude sailor.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 02:51   #67

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch

Hi All,

I have considerable background inside Haiti. Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world (actually think it is number 2).

It is also considered one of the most dangerous places on earth. In fact the City Soleil slum is considered by many the most dangerous square mile in the world. All of this was before the catastrophic earthquake that killed hundreds of thousands of Haitians and destroyed the country's financial infrastructure.

That only "safe" place is to room with an oligarch because they have guards armed with automatic weapons.

The good people of Haiti are just trying to survive. However, starvation pushes them to do anything they can to eat.

Unless you live there it is hard to understand how hopeless their position is. It is a country of have and have not on steroids.

We sailors look like oligarchy without protection. The poor are starving and angry. You figure it out!

I really pray for the best for the poor in Haiti. Their rise from under the oligarchs' rule is long overdue.

However, I would never travel Haiti; even to areas of the country considered more safe. No more then I would plan a sailing trip to Syria.
pbbmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 03:09   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Arsinoe, & design360.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 03:32   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Arkhangelsk, which was Russia's main sea port before St. Petersburg was built, has at least three yacht clubs. I've never been there, but it must be high on the list of places to visit for any high-latitude sailor.
Indeed !!!
Old 19-04-2015, 04:32   #70

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
My wife and I guard the inside of our house 24/7 with Ak47s and M4s. .

You don't sleep, or do you take turns?

What a terrible way to live - I feel sorry for you.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 05:06   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You don't sleep, or do you take turns?

What a terrible way to live - I feel sorry for you.

Mark
No need to feel sorry for us... We sleep fine.

Crime is everywhere, we choose to be aware of it and protect ourselves. Others choose denial and place their faith in the police to solve the crime after the fact. Which means to basically notify your next of kin.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 05:13   #72

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbmorton View Post
Hi All,

I have considerable background inside Haiti. Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world (actually think it is number 2).
That only "safe" place is to room with an oligarch because they have guards armed with automatic weapons.
The good people of Haiti are just trying to survive. However, starvation pushes them to do anything they can to eat.
Unless you live there it is hard to understand how hopeless their position is. It is a country of have and have not on steroids.

We sailors look like oligarchy without protection. The poor are starving and angry. You figure it out!

I really pray for the best for the poor in Haiti. Their rise from under the oligarchs' rule is long overdue.

However, I would never travel Haiti; even to areas of the country considered more safe. No more then I would plan a sailing trip to Syria.
Great post. Obviously Oligarchs are deeply resented (with reason) by poor people that is much the rest of the population and when Yachties are looked as oligarchs too, that resentment extends to them (without reason).

That would explain why poor fishermen act against them like criminals: To them Yachties like Oligarchs are bad people that stole their wealth from the poor and only maintain it with power and armed protection... except that Yachties have not armed protection and therefore they fell it is not a wrongful act to retrieve some of that "stolen" wealth.

That is what I was talking about in previous posts: They way you are looked by local populations may in many cases by unfair but there is nothing we can do about it and unfortunately there are a growing number of zones where Yacht owners are looked as part of the rich oppressors that are somewhat responsible for their miserable live conditions. Nothing we can do except avoiding those places and if not, one should expect to be treated according the way they see us not in the way we see ourselves.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 05:19   #73

@ Polux :

Wiki :

The USA is the largest foreign source of relief aid to Haiti from the 2010 Haiti earthquake, although in December 2011, the Haitian President Michel Martelly said that "The cooperation with Venezuela is the most important in Haiti right now in terms of impact, direct impact.".[1] USA, through USAID is giving more than $712 million in aid.

I did not bother looking up E.U aid, Japan aid...etc...etc...

What does it take to get ourselves a good name ???
Old 19-04-2015, 05:19   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Crime is everywhere, we choose to be aware of it and protect ourselves. Others choose denial and place their faith in the police to solve the crime after the fact. Which means to basically notify your next of kin.
There is a large continuum between the extremes of standing guard 24/7 with heavy armament and doing nothing at all. I feel sorry for those who can't strike a rational balance in there.

I lived 5 years in the gang and drug slums of Flint, MI in the early 80's, so have experience with daily close violence (murder, robbery, gunfire and arson).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 19-04-2015, 05:25   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_Marie View Post
The USA is the largest foreign source of relief aid to Haiti from the 2010 Haiti earthquake
I read recently that less than half of that aid has been distributed so far. The aid that has been released mostly went to foreign contractors, subcontractors, etc - with huge cost overruns. The US aid money mostly went to US contractors.

Mark

Tags
cruise, cruiser, Haiti