Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2015, 03:46   #181
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Haiti attack on Cruisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuego View Post
Very interesting thread. Reminds me of a group of blindfolded people feeling an elephant. Well here are a couple of more parts to perhaps gain perspective.
Two billion people on the planet with I was born, now there are over 7 billion. The carrying capacity of the planet is estimated by those that look at such things as about 2 billion. We are breeding ourselves out of house and home, and placing heavy stresses on billions. Educating young girls and giving them control of their reproduction is key for the future. Educate WOMEN chose not to make so many babies. If we are feeding people, their responsibility to me is to NOT make more people...and to work to get on their feet. Hand Up not a hand Out.

Second leg: The U.S. gov has a long and not very nice history in Haiti. I imagine the Chinese are not all that altruistic either. Read, Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, by John Perkins for a first hand account of how U.S. aid has operated in the past. Very eye opening. Then travel like the wind now, while we can...because the reality is, we are not headed in a very good direction.
the plant can feed in excess of 10 billion, and many more then that if we stopped eating meat How Many People Can Planet Earth Support? | When Will the Human Population Start to Decline?
Old 27-04-2015, 05:11   #182

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Not sure if this was posted earlier , taken from Noonsite, but it seems you cannot even trust those in Uniform, (whether a real uniform or not) how many guns would you need to defend against 12 armed men?.

DATE: 2015-01-21 03:00
Country Name: Haiti
Location Detail: Corail (Northern coast of the Southern Peninsula)
EVENT: Assault
Stolen Items: All Cash ( $1000 US ), laptops, diving equipment, etc.
SECURED: Locked

DETAILS:
A French couple and their children had anchored overnight between Corail and Pestel, Haiti.
At 3 AM they were boarded by 12 men armed with machine guns and machetes. The leader of the group was in uniform. The boat was “inspected” for 2.5 hours, rummaging drawers, lockers, etc. The roller furling and main sheet were deliberately damaged. The men were aggressive, with much yelling and arm waving, but the crew cooperated.
They forced the boat to go 2 miles back to Corial at first light after taking all the cash on board ($1000), laptops and some other gear from the captain. The official then “allowed” the boat to depart to go onward to Pestel, Haiti, the next planned stop.
It is unlikely a police report was made. CSSN became aware of this incident of piracy/assault while confirming details of the incident of piracy/assault, (also in Haiti), dated 16 April 2015.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 10:00   #183

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Not sure if this was posted earlier , taken from Noonsite, but it seems you cannot even trust those in Uniform, (whether a real uniform or not) how many guns would you need to defend against 12 armed men?.

DATE: 2015-01-21 03:00
Country Name: Haiti
Location Detail: Corail (Northern coast of the Southern Peninsula)
EVENT: Assault
Stolen Items: All Cash ( $1000 US ), laptops, diving equipment, etc.
SECURED: Locked

DETAILS:
A French couple and their children had anchored overnight between Corail and Pestel, Haiti.
At 3 AM they were boarded by 12 men armed with machine guns and machetes. The leader of the group was in uniform. The boat was “inspected” for 2.5 hours, rummaging drawers, lockers, etc. The roller furling and main sheet were deliberately damaged. The men were aggressive, with much yelling and arm waving, but the crew cooperated.
They forced the boat to go 2 miles back to Corial at first light after taking all the cash on board ($1000), laptops and some other gear from the captain. The official then “allowed” the boat to depart to go onward to Pestel, Haiti, the next planned stop.
It is unlikely a police report was made. CSSN became aware of this incident of piracy/assault while confirming details of the incident of piracy/assault, (also in Haiti), dated 16 April 2015.
Yest it has been posted, that's the Poupon family attack. Some of the attackers were fishermen to whom they had bought fish the previous day.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 10:01   #184
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yest it has been posted, that's the Poupon family attack. Some of the attackers were fishermen to whom they had bought fish the previous day.

you would have to question the sanity of an ordinary family sailing in Haitian waters at present
Old 27-04-2015, 10:56   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
you would have to question the sanity of an ordinary family sailing in Haitian waters at present
Poupon is not an ordinary family...but I agree with you, it is to risky even if Philippe Pupon says this about the incident:

"We will not run away and will draw no conclusions about this act of piracy because to date we had met here only extreme kindness and magnanimity. This is what we retain..."

Not an average cruiser and a very special guy, I would say.
Old 27-04-2015, 12:15   #186

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

In all honesty, it is probably only a certain segment of the population. Probably no different than Chicago. Yachts are probably easy pickings and considered the rich. Park your high dollar car in getto and sleep in it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 12:59   #187
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
In all honesty, it is probably only a certain segment of the population. Probably no different than Chicago. Yachts are probably easy pickings and considered the rich. Park your high dollar car in getto and sleep in it.
Wish it was so but reality is that they will all grab the opportunity if they can. In that area, it is the way of things, their "normal".
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 13:12   #188

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Wish it was so but reality is that they will all grab the opportunity if they can. In that area, it is the way of things, their "normal".
I am somewhat surprised. I have a cousin and a friend that have made several humanitarian trips. What do I know, you wouldn't find me there.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 21:40   #189

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I am somewhat surprised. I have a cousin and a friend that have made several humanitarian trips. What do I know, you wouldn't find me there.
I don't understand why you are surprised because it has been this way for hundreds of years. Haven't you heard about the history of Ile de la Tortue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortuga_(Haiti)
Old 28-04-2015, 04:44   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I don't understand why you are surprised because it has been this way for hundreds of years. Haven't you heard about the history of Ile de la Tortue?

Tortuga (Haiti) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"By 1640, the buccaneers of Tortuga were calling themselves the Brethren of the Coast. The pirate population was mostly made up of French and Englishmen, along with a small number of Dutchmen. In 1645, in an attempt to bring harmony and control over the island, the acting French governor imported roughly 1,650 prostitutes, hoping to normalize the unruly pirates' lives. In 1654 the Spanish captured the island for the fourth and last time."

Well those pirates were not from Haiti but Englishmen and French

At the time you did not need to go that far to find Piracy practices:

"lighthouse keeper of St Agnes in the Isles of Scilly who not only failed to light the lighthouse until a Virginian trading vessel had wrecked, but who thereafter also personally looted the ship’s cargo. "

Read more: Beware the coast of Cornwall! How countless sailors have drowned off idyllic holiday shores during centuries of shipwrecks | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Old 28-04-2015, 05:12   #191

Quote:
"The pirate population was mostly made up of French and Englishmen, along with a small number of Dutchmen. In 1645, in an attempt to bring harmony and control over the island, the acting French governor imported roughly 1,650 prostitutes, hoping to normalize the unruly pirates' lives.
Thanks for posting this !!
I cannot refrain from laughing my head out...

French foreign policy ...prostitutes....

Who on earth else than a french could have worked out a such solution ?

Rolling on the floor.
Girl power, yeah !!
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 07:28   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_Marie View Post
Thanks for posting this !!
I cannot refrain from laughing my head out...

French foreign policy ...prostitutes....

Who on earth else than a french could have worked out a such solution ?

Rolling on the floor.
Girl power, yeah !!
Truly progressive. Now, in some cases, several countries welfare pay to prostitutes to have sex with their citizens. Prostitutes are underrated on the social services they provide
Old 28-04-2015, 14:27   #193

Boat: csy 37

I think we should add that to the Buddhist mantra.

Inner Happiness and World Peace - and Free Prostitutes.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 14:32   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
I think we should add that to the Buddhist mantra.

Inner Happiness and World Peace - and Free Prostitutes.
I wonder if they were regarded as Civil Servants, if so possibly went on strike every other day.
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 15:07   #195

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
"By 1640, the buccaneers of Tortuga were calling themselves the Brethren of the Coast. The pirate population was mostly made up of French and Englishmen, along with a small number of Dutchmen. In 1645, in an attempt to bring harmony and control over the island, the acting French governor imported roughly 1,650 prostitutes, hoping to normalize the unruly pirates' lives. In 1654 the Spanish captured the island for the fourth and last time."

Well those pirates were not from Haiti but Englishmen and French

At the time you did not need to go that far to find Piracy practices:

"lighthouse keeper of St Agnes in the Isles of Scilly who not only failed to light the lighthouse until a Virginian trading vessel had wrecked, but who thereafter also personally looted the ship’s cargo. "

Read more: Beware the coast of Cornwall! How countless sailors have drowned off idyllic holiday shores during centuries of shipwrecks | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Not so fast The pirates were the French and English and Dutch settlers/ plantation owners, but who we call "the Haitians" now, were their slaves. When the Europeans left, they stayed behind. Not much of the original inhabitants survived those times but I believe they were Caribe Indians and some are still around.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, Haiti