Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2009, 09:55   #1

Guadeloupe - Cuba : End of March - Good Time to Go? How Long Will it Take ?

Dear Sailors,

If you did help me in the past month not to buy a sailboat to import from the US to Europe, thank you !!!

This year I will rent to get some sun in march. I live in the Pyrénées.

Just found a small 24 foot unsinkable sail boat for rent, ETAP 24 IL with a keel that retracts, great for the beach !

Could you tell me if end of march, beginning of avril is a safe period to sail from Guadeloupe to Cuba, via Puerto Rico ?

and would you know how many sail hours I should expect ?
I have two weeks to sail and swim.....

Thank You very much for any information about such a trip.

Best Regards, Raymond.
RayfromFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 10:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi Raymond,

Are you asking about the 24' sailboat you would rent? Does that mean you would have to then return this boat to Guadaloupe? Also where in Cuba are you going?

Just to reach the closest port in Cuba from Guadaloupe is about 1000 nm. With the right boat and the right weather you might do this in 6-10 days of sailing non stop, day and night. However, you would never make it back. Do you know about the trade winds? In this area the wind blows 90% of the time from the east so going back from Cuba to Guadaloupe is a much harder trip.

I must ask what sailing experience you have. From the nature of your question I am guessing that you do not have the experience for such an ambitious trip.

Perhaps you could give a little more information about yourself and the trip you plan.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 10:38   #3

yes Skipmac, I asked the question to fast, then looked and it is to far away. I sailed a few times from Sweden to Scottland, in pretty rough wheather and in the mediterrean as well. I also sailed up to Bergen in Norway and in a storm on the way back so I lived through quite a bit.

But I do not know the Carribean at all. What would be nice to sail during two weeks from the south of Guadelope ? Is Grenade also to far away ? Perhaps I should stick to closer islands since also my wife does not have much sailing experience.

Looking for good beaches, good snoorkling and awesome fruits ripe on the trees. Dreaming a bit.......

Thank You for any input.

About the sailboat, I know it well and sailed it already. A bit small maybe but for 600 euros per week, it is a good deal.

Best Regards, Raymond
Old 25-10-2009, 09:59   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
RayfromFrance: Now you are giving good information about what you want to do >> Looking for good beaches, good snoorkling and awesome fruits ripe on the trees. Dreaming a bit......<<
- - From Guadeloupe sail south to the Iles des Saintes for wonderful small French Village experience with some good places to snorkel and dive for 2 or 3 days. Assuming you are renting the boat in Pointe-a-Pitre it is about 24 nm to Iles des Saintes.
- - Then check-out of Guadeloupe (Iles des Saintes) for Portsmouth, Dominica which is about 21 nm south. Anchor in the north end of Prince Rupert (Portsmouth) Bay where the moorings are located. You can take a mooring if you want to pay or just anchor closer to the beach for free. Check in to Dominica using one of the Indian River Guide Association "boat boys" in his boat, He will take you from your boat to the Check-in/out where you will get almost two weeks including automatic check-out for only EC$10 (about 5 Euro +/-) and then back to your boat. The Indian River Guides Association is the "boat boys" and they will provide information about everything, assist you in finding stuff and provide security for the anchored/moored boats in the north part of the harbor - which is why you use them for something or other, then they will take an interest in "watching over you and your boat."
- - Dominica will provide all the stuff to do that you asked about. It is a "ecological treasure" of an island with lush jungles, volcanoes, gardens of fruits and veggies up in the mountains and great snorkeling in the bay just north of Prince Rupert (Portsmouth) called Douglas Bay. Fabulous Fort Shirley to hike and explore. Rent a car for 2 or 3 days and drive totally around the island a couple of times to explore great - no tourist - jungles and beaches. You could spend a month there and not see everything, so you will have to do some pre-planning to be sure to include the top ten things to do - - or just lay back and play as the mood strikes you.
- - Then sail back to Iles des Saintes and Guadeloupe. Allow 4 or 5 days to get back north in case of nasty oceans. Maybe a little less than that if you and the boat can handle big waves and winds. With 2 weeks you will use one week for sailing and one week for exploring. You will love it!
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 12:44   #5

So many many thanks for your help Orsirissail

Really, many many thanks. How can I pay you back for your time. Such information is indeed so great. I will get back with photos after the trip. Thank You, Raymond

Tags
arc, Cuba, Guadeloupe