Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2013, 12:12   #1

Grenadines in July/August?

Dear sailors,
planning a sailing trip at the end July/start Aug to Grenadines. Can anyone advice on weather conditions? Should I expect lots of precipitation?
Thank you in advance!
Jana
Jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 12:32   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Grenadines in July/August?

Weather wise, around August, tropical storms are to be expected; just be aware that you'll be sailing in the middle of hurricane season. Sail away! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 13:18   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 5740

Should have beautiful weather. One can reasonably expect to duck south to Grenada if weather indicates the potential for a hurricane developing.
And yes it is the rainy season but that doesn't mean it will rain 24/7.
Enjoy!
Old 16-05-2013, 13:59   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Yes. All good advice. Other than the risk of hurricanes, it's a fantastic time to sail there. Without the crowds of winter. A little rain now and then never hurt anyone.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 14:44   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
Should have beautiful weather. One can reasonably expect to duck south to Grenada if weather indicates the potential for a hurricane developing.
And yes it is the rainy season but that doesn't mean it will rain 24/7.
Enjoy!
Make that Trinidad instead of Greneda. Last time I ducked south to Grenada, hurricane Ivan came and hit us at category 4-5 which was not a good experience. There is plenty of time to get south to Trini or even further south when the storm keeps south for long.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 14:54   #6

Thank you for optimistic reviews. I just searched some weather statistics saying that there are average 26 rainy days in July there I'm slightly concerned about it... Have you experienced this season personally? What can I expect? Few short showers during the day? Or couple rainy days in a row?
Old 16-05-2013, 15:03   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana View Post
Thank you for optimistic reviews. I just searched some weather statistics saying that there are average 26 rainy days in July there I'm slightly concerned about it... Have you experienced this season personally? What can I expect? Few short showers during the day? Or couple rainy days in a row?
Don't worry about the rain, it's a beautiful time of the year and very little risk of hurricanes for that month in that area. Just keep watching the weather reports while enjoying it. Yes we've been there countless times also in July :thumbs:

I would recommend Carriacou too; nice cruisers community there.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 15:19   #8

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Jana! I have been traveling the Caribbean since 1980. Daily, expect some showers followed by a bright sun. The showers don't last too long; an hour or so at most. Tropical waves, on the other hand, can bring heavy rains for 2-5 days, followed by intermittent sunshine. Hurricanes, depending on their category of strength, are something to watch for. Ideally, you can weather a CAT 1 in a well protected harbor. You will see a couple of "pitch black" heavy rains and swells, that can last up to 5 days. CAT 2 hurricanes...you should not be in the water at all. Your boat should be in a safe harbor. CAT 3 - CAT 5 hurricanes...you should be about 200+ miles away from the hurricane's projected track. Your sailboat, if in the water, may not make it! Having said all that, I would still sail away, but I'd keep my eyes peeled on changing weather conditions. Most hurricanes start from around Cape Verde - West Africa coast. You need to listen to weather forecast, a few times a day. Life is too short, enjoy! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 05:53   #9

Boat: Oyster 66

I'll be there too at that time. I was a little further north last July/Aug. Perfect weather and had the place to myself. Totally. All anchorages were empty and as an example we were the only one on the superyacht dock in St Barts. Side berth. In season there would be 30 of the 150' monsters squished up stern-to.

I check the NOAA reports daily. Historically the occurrence of a hurricane has been of pretty low probability until mid Aug. It's a parabolic curve though.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 08:02   #10

Thank you all for your replies,
Poiu, so there is a chance we might see you there!

Still, one more thing to ask, could you please advice which sailing direction could be considered more pleasant - northbound or southbound - considering seasonal winds and currents? There is a chance we could sail one way while chartering a boat. Thank you in advance for your time!
Jana
Old 19-05-2013, 08:22   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
there are average 26 rainy days in July
It rains every day a number of times but only for a few minutes each time.

I can not but advise you to be far more cautious of hurricanes than previous posts suggest. I am heading south, currently in Martinique and I would never ever be north of Grenada and without daily Internet for weather in July and August and thru to November.

The sailing and general weather may be good but if you are off in some secluded bay without adequate weather forecasting you will not find out about a hurricane until far to late to head to Grenada or Trinidad.
Hurricanes that hit that area often come from quite far south, like where that current Tropical Wave is off Suriname and then they barrel up the Caribbean line making it difficult to head south.

Hurricanes are a killer and will appear to hunt out those who injudicously flirt with them.

I NEVER sail in the wrong season. It's my way to avoid storms. I did it once off Australia when we were hit with a Cat 5 Cyclone and I can tell you the fear of killing your loved ones due to playing silly buggers with the weather really puts a dampened on a cruise.

Unless you are chartering a boat in SVG I would commend you to not be there!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:31   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

Quote:
"Rainy" is relative. It has rained every day we've been here in Bequia. But sometimes it's a sprinkling for a few minutes only, other times its a good drenching. So you can't leave the windows on the boat open when you go ashore, but that's a good rule anywhere in the Caribbean.

Hasn't rained yet today, though yesterday it was coming down in buckets for an hour and a half or so. We were out walking, and hunkered in a bar overlooking the harbor and had rum punch and appetizers. It was just terrible...

It hasn't stopped our fun, and it's never lasted much more than an hour.
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote