Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2013, 17:05   #1

Grenada to BVI in 8 days

My husband is doing a boat delivery of an Oyster sailboat from Grenada to Tortola in late April. Owner is a friend who has told my husband to take his time on the boat delivery and to bring the family (wife and 2 small kids), but we are limited by vacation days at my job. We have 8 full days available to us to get from Grenada to Tortola. We can't afford to charter boats right now, so I'd like to take advantage of the "free" Oyster for a week in return for the delivery, but I'm concerned that 8 days is just too short of time to get boat delivered but squeeze in a few memories to make it a worthwhile trip for me and the kids? Thoughts?
Sailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 17:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Grenada to BVI in 8 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorswife View Post
My husband is doing a boat delivery of an Oyster sailboat from Grenada to Tortola in late April. Owner is a friend who has told my husband to take his time on the boat delivery and to bring the family (wife and 2 small kids), but we are limited by vacation days at my job. We have 8 full days available to us to get from Grenada to Tortola. We can't afford to charter boats right now, so I'd like to take advantage of the "free" Oyster for a week in return for the delivery, but I'm concerned that 8 days is just too short of time to get boat delivered but squeeze in a few memories to make it a worthwhile trip for me and the kids? Thoughts?
Presuming its set up ready to go bar food, fuel and fresh water its perfectly possible to do with 3-4days of playtime to spare... its only around 400 miles as the crow flies so you could race to Tortola and have 3-5 days poodling there.. or time your hops to islands you like

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 20:07   #3

Re: Grenada to BVI in 8 days

Thanks for the reply. That's what my husband is telling me, but I wanted to hear it from an independent 3rd party as he has a large reputation for being such an optimist that it can taint his judgement. And he can also function on a lot less sleep than most other mortals which means his itineraries are always different than mine Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Old 21-01-2013, 21:05   #4

Interesting, you don't trust your husband's judgement and would defer to total strangers on the internet? Yikes!
HeartsContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 08:50   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post
Interesting, you don't trust your husband's judgement and would defer to total strangers on the internet? Yikes!
It's a wife thing. As in familiarity breeds contempt.

My wife will ask the opinion of a dock neighbor with almost no experience whether something I've said (after 50+ years of sailing) is right.

It's inescapable.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:00   #6

8 days is a short time. Sure, you can do it fast, but that is not what you're asking. Essentially, you will be arriving in the afternoon and leaving next morning most the time. . . and having to check in and out too! You may just have to choose one spot or two where you take a "fun" day. If the weather gives you that luxury.... it should in april. Still.... it'll be fun!
I sold a boat in St Martin and took the "trade in" to Trinidad for work. I thought 3 weeks (Hurricane season was upon us) was a fast trip! I guess we were on Island time....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:33   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

It seems there's a few ways to do it.

1) You Island hop along the way. If you only sail during the day, this would not give you a lot of time at each island.

2) You island hop and sail both day and night giving you perhaps more time on the islands in daylight

3) you go right from grenada to bvi non-stop and spend the extra days there.

Option 3 would probably give you the most relaxing vacation time, although it will be after a few (possibly very) unrelaxing days.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 09:43   #8

Boat: Tartan 4100

Sailing in the Caribbean for a week is WAY better than spending a week at work regardless if you are in transit or checking out the local fare
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 10:27   #9

Boat: Seaward 22

I've chartered a fair bit in the caribbean. With a tight time frame and young kids. I would do the trip straight through and enjoy the BVIs at the end. That way if something happens you have the cushion of extra days. weather permitting of course.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 10:34   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I think I would do a straight shot up to either St. Croix, or right to Tortola. Too many factors for such a short period of time. Boat all set to go or have to provision? Weather? Clearing in and out at a couple of locations, you are dealing with Island time, so more potential delays. It seems to swallow a whole day to clear out of Grenada, then clear in at Union Island, then anchor in the Tobago Keys. Then another day to get to Bequia to clear out again. Right there is three days plus down time. The BVI is not a bad place to hang out and enjoy in exchange for a good sail.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 10:35   #11

Whoa! I have zero contempt for my husband. I thought this was a cruiser's forum? You know, where you can chat with other cruiser's with more knowlege than you may have? I'm not trolling the internet seeking out strangers to backstab the love of my life! When he asked me to come on trip and bring the wee ones, he said we'd need 2 weeks. I could only get 10 days (and we need 2 days to fly), leaving me 8 days for the delivery. His response was that 8 days is still plenty of time. I've done probably 50 deliveries with him in the past, and on several occasions he has been overly optimistic on time needed for me, not for him. His need to be on the water sometimes makes his assessment of what I am capable of a little fuzzy. I know my husband will be in heaven for 8 days even if its choppy and he never steps foot ashore along the way and the trip is nothing but a nonstop delivery. I merely wanted the opinion of other cruisers in a purported cruiser's forum for their thoughts. So please, spare me the "yikes" and "contempt" tsk tsks. I probably would have received a warmer reception on a random yahoo forum about bread baking.
Old 22-01-2013, 10:40   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Whoa! I have zero contempt for my husband. I thought this was a cruiser's forum? You know, where you can chat with other cruiser's with more knowlege than you may have? I'm not trolling the internet seeking out strangers to backstab the love of my life! When he asked me to come on trip and bring the wee ones, he said we'd need 2 weeks. I could only get 10 days (and we need 2 days to fly), leaving me 8 days for the delivery. His response was that 8 days is still plenty of time. I've done probably 50 deliveries with him in the past, and on several occasions he has been overly optimistic on time needed for me, not for him. His need to be on the water sometimes makes his assessment of what I am capable of a little fuzzy. I know my husband will be in heaven for 8 days even if its choppy and he never steps foot ashore along the way and the trip is nothing but a nonstop delivery. I merely wanted the opinion of other cruisers in a purported cruiser's forum for their thoughts. So please, spare me the "yikes" and "contempt" tsk tsks. I probably would have received a warmer reception on a random yahoo forum about bread baking.
WELL SAID!!
Old 22-01-2013, 10:46   #13

And a giant Thank You for those who did help me with some great ideas and helpful advice on how to maximize a 400 plus mile delivery with an 8 day timeline, two small kids, and an overly optimistic (but absolutely wonderful especially when he's on the water) husband!
Old 22-01-2013, 10:47   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Grenada to BVI in 8 days

Quote:
LMAO... Welcome to CF Sailorswife...
If you do a stop make it Frenchside St Martin, Marigot Bay... its fast and simple clearing in... mornings/afternoons weekdays only.. and its a great jump off for the BVI's. Good food, wine and beaches..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 10:57   #15

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I've done Grenada to BVI - and the reverse which is much tougher - on many occasions. It is certainly do-able, particularly on an Oyster, I would just say get a lot of miles in early on in case the weather changes.

If I was doing it in 8 days I'd probably do Grenada to the beautiful Isles des Saintes ( just south of Guadeloupe) in one go. Have a good rest and good food there and then enjoy the run off the wind to the BVI, stopping if you have time in either St Kitts or Saba.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grenada