Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2019, 10:47   #1

Grenada Provisioning - Grocery self provision or Charter company

Hello; Got a bareboat charter coming up in Grenada up to SV&Gs and started nailing down provisioning. Thought initially we would just get the bulk items through Dream yacht Charter (DYC) but was a little surprised as to the pricing in EC$.

Anybody that has been recently in Grenada or is currently in Grenada who can give me an idea as to how much of a mark up may on these prices vs if we get them at a super market...

I am of the opinion that I want to avoid the hassle as I am on vacation and don't want to be lugging around Eight 2-4s and 20 Gallons of drinking water etc but if they are putting 100% mark up on prices, different story!

Thanks!
Pricing as per DYC provisioning spreadsheet:
-----------------------------------------------------
SPRING WATER 5 L EC$ 13.80
COCA-COLA ZERO 355 ML - can EC$6.10
CARIB BEER LAGER CAN 330 ML EC$ 4.94
HEINEKEN BEER BOTTLE 300 ML EC$ 5.04
EGGS 12 EC$ 13.50
BREAD - sliced - SELECT: WHITE / MULTIGRAIN / WHOLE GRAIN / RYE EC$ 27.79
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:49   #2

Re: Grenada Provisioning - Grocery self provision or Charter company

We just got back (ended 23 March) from a charter with DYC in Grenada so hope I can help.

Firstly, depending what time you have, there is a supermarket ~5 minutes walk from the base and the staff will bring your items over on trolley things for a tip (eg $10ECpp). There were 6 of us and a lot of water/beer etc and plenty heavy, but zero hassle as they brought it all back for us (we just walked with them). If you have some time between boarding and departing (i.e. checking in the night before etc) I would recommend this then you can review what you buy and make more informed decisions whilst in the supermarket yourself. It is closed Sundays but open all other days until 8 or 10pm.

As Grenada is very small (population c100k) and doesn't produce certain crops or products, these can be very costly when imported. Coca Cola was probably around $4EC (but that is for "normal" Coke which they do produce locally; any diet or Zero is imported).

Carib beer cans around $3-$3.50EC each
Eggs (12) ~$10EC
Breakfast cereals EXTORTIONATE (we did not buy except for some short-dated and marked down) - expect around $12+ EC for a small box of average branded cereal!
Carton of fruit juice $6-$8EC

We didn't have any meat on our trip as it was so expensive, instead we caught and bought fish. Sauces, rice, dried or canned beans etc are reasonable, cheese is a lot. Don't over-buy fruit as it is freely available at good prices (better at stalls than supermarkets) if you stick to what is in season. The prices in the islands for any items were barely more so we didn't buy a lot of provisions and instead replenished as we went vs buying too much and wasting it. Of our stops only Tobago Cays and Salt Whistle Bay had no provisioning option (actually you could buy fish from boats) and you'll have to clear in somewhere for SV that will inevitably have some civilisation!

I'd recommend taking a few basics like salt/pepper/sugar/tea bags/if you use powdered coffee creamer etc. Oh and the coffee was AWFUL and $25+EC per bag so definitely take your own if you drink it! We bought some lovely branded Spice Isle local coffee and it was hideous! Bread was mixed in price but kept well unlike European/French bread. We found flour not too expensive and grabbed some yeast (you could pack some quick yeast sachets) and my brother made his own - was actually quite nice having fresh warm bread for breakfast!

We also spend money on charcoal and lighter fluid for the bbq grill but not once did we get it to stay lit and cook on it due to the wind!

Happy to help with any DYC/Port Louis/Grenada/Grenadines questions and our experience should be up to date! My hubby (skipper) found it helpful that I printed a sheet with all key passport details on one page and much easier at customs than having to hold open 6x passports one by one to transcribe details from!
bellasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:55   #3

Lastly, if you have any time on Grenada and want a tour of the island in an AC van to see the rum distillery, chocolate making etc I have a great recommendation!
Old 02-04-2019, 11:16   #4

Thanks for the reply Bellasailor, that sounds like a great compromise. I didn't realize that there was a grocery store so close to the Marina. We arrive on a Saturday afternoon and will not get off the dock until the next morning after boat and chart breifing.

Regarding check out and check in document. what passport info did you put on the sheet? Nationality, name, DOB, Passport#, expiry date? Never been through a check in check out process so will have lots to learn!

thanks Again
Old 02-04-2019, 11:39   #5

Yes, also place of issue and issued date. We’d never done it before either (sailed in the EU/within one country’s waters!). Hubby did it but found it fairly easy; checking out you can plan your route for minimal disruption as you don’t need to leave the waters for 24hrs. Checking in you should fly the Q flag and clear in within two hours.

We checked out of Grenada at Tyrell Bay, and into SV in Clifton. In Clifton you can go to the customs in town (west) or airport (east). The airport had longer hours and was very quick. We also checked out there on our way back down and then in at Port Louis. Was all easier than we thought but not super cheap; $140EC for SV for 6pax.

Other top tips; if you are (surely?!) going to Tobago Cays try Romeo, he “reserved” a mooring ball for us right where we wanted in front of the the turtle sanctuary, helped us moor and we used him for a truly excellent beach bbq; one of our group has allergies and his team were great and she was well fed, safely! He’s on WhatsApp/Facebook.

For a fun night trying Grenadian food, Patrick’s restaurant near Port Louis is great- didn’t look much on the outside but worth it!

Just shout if any more questions come to mind. It was truly an incredible trip and the area is just beautiful!!
Old 02-04-2019, 12:08   #6

Thanks! I was originally thinking of checking out on the sunday from port louise but have since scrapped that idea (to much going on boat breifing, chart breifing and we want to get to Carriacou that day.

So have decided to get a mooring ball in paradise beach and then check out at Hillsborough the following morning. Then a nice sail to Union, check in and then decide where we go from there... Palm island, Mayreau, Tobago Cays of course! (thanks for the tip!). Hoping to get to Bequia but we are only on the boat from Sunday (first full day) to Sunday(before noon) so may be tight and it will depend on the weather/wind and whether the crew wants to do a 4 hour sail or take it a little slower.

Which islands did you stop at, what is not to be missed? restaurant recommendations are greatly appreciated as we will be eating all dinners on shore (no kids this trip so we are splurging!) Thanks! less than 5 weeks and I am getting super excited!
Old 02-04-2019, 12:30   #7

We stopped at Tyrell Bay (but ate onboard), Clifton (good meal at Barracuda which also has an Italian name, confusing!), Salt Whistle Bay (ate on board but bought fish), Tobago Cays (beach bbq and it was full moon, well worth it!), Chatham Bay (ate on board, heard good things about the Bay and it’s beautiful but there seems to be some recent rivalry with boat boys and they got into a big row with each other, swearing across our bows at each other. We’d planned to cook fish onboard anyway but wouldn’t have given any of three our patronage after their actions, it was the only slight downer on our trip).

We didn’t press on to Bequia as we instead had some long lazy days in the Cays enjoying swimming with the turtles.

We were the same as you; boarded Saturday and set off Sunday but had to return boat for the following Saturday. We opted to come back into the marina on the Friday night and refuel/check in for a chilled out check out on the Saturday morning and so some of our crew had time to see St George’s (they flew in later than us).

Didn’t go but heard Sparrows beach bar on Union is good and there’s a shuttle from Clifton. We liked Clifton in general. Will you have a watermaker/weighed up tanks vs occupants as the refilling opportunities are limited/worth factoring in if you need to top up!
Old 02-04-2019, 12:47   #8

I found the grocery store prices to be a bit lower, but we still ordered much of the food and definitely all the water and beer to be delivered for our April 27 charter coming up. The grocery near Grand Anse (Rite Way I think) was very good as far as quality and selection when we were there last in 2017. As stated, it is vacation so..... I second the idea of a day tour of Grenada. We just took a cab for that. Sunset at Mourne Rouge is a cant miss when on Grenada. $2 USD beers are hard to pass up.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasailor View Post
Will you have a watermaker/weighed up tanks vs occupants as the refilling opportunities are limited/worth factoring in if you need to top up!
Yes the boat comes with a water maker so fingers crossed we will not have to worry about water and refilling. Yes I understand getting water can be tricky. The dock at Tyrell was especially adventurous!
Old 04-04-2019, 01:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
Yes the boat comes with a water maker so fingers crossed we will not have to worry about water and refilling. Yes I understand getting water can be tricky. The dock at Tyrell was especially adventurous!

We had a watermaker but found it very salty so only used for showers etc, even boiling for tea it was salty. We didn't complain about the watermaker as when we booked there were no boats available with one installed yet we got one anyway - think it needed a filter change.

Anyone who does need water in that region, Bougainvillea in Clifton was a good dock/staff/water station etc
Old 05-04-2019, 17:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahtcha View Post
I found the grocery store prices to be a bit lower, but we still ordered much of the food and definitely all the water and beer to be delivered for our April 27 charter coming up. The grocery near Grand Anse (Rite Way I think) was very good as far as quality and selection when we were there last in 2017. As stated, it is vacation so..... I second the idea of a day tour of Grenada. We just took a cab for that. Sunset at Mourne Rouge is a cant miss when on Grenada. $2 USD beers are hard to pass up.

Can you provision thru Rite Way ahead of time? I can’t find a link for them
We go may 18 with a group of 9 couples & 3 boats👍🏻
I’ve been on Traveltalk with our possible itinerary but I just signed up here & cant figure out how to post? I would love to get some opinions.
Any help on provisioning would be appreciated!
Jaime
Travelmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:46   #12

Hi Jaime, I looked for a provisioning link on their website and couldn't find any. I don't think they offer the services like in the BVI. either go through the charter company or self provision.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:24   #13

I apologize. I wasn't clear. We provisioned about 3/4 of the stuff through the charter company and plan to make a trip to the grocery store to get the rest that made sense to pick up ourselves. There are only 4 of us not 18, so very much a different challenge.

We also expect to pick up some things as we go in the Grenadines.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 13:57   #14

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

I know that it's a pain but I take a taxi to the IGA and do it myself.
You can take a bus to the IGA. Cost about 3 EC.
Take a taxi on your way back
It will much cheaper than online provisioning.

Clifton on Union is expensive.
Bequia you can go to the Rasta market.
Mayreau very small convenience store in the Village.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Grenada, provisioning