Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48   #16

Boat: Privilege 42
Re: Grand Cayman, anchorages, pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Holiday View Post
We brought or dog with us and were required to have current rabies shots, a Titer test, and she had to have a microchip. Our dog file is bigger than the one for the boat.
s/v Holiday - did you have to get involved with the "pet import permit" when checking your dogs in to the Cayman Islands?

Similar to Susancruiser, we hope to visit with two cats that never leave the boat. But that import permit looks daunting.

Thanks.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:12   #17

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)
Re: Grand Cayman, anchorages, pets

I was in GC a couple of years ago in September for sail repair. Customs were very friendly and gave us the GPS coordinates for getting in and across North Sound to the remains of the Yacht club where we tied up to a cement wall. The yacht club manager "Junior" was a great help and super nice guy offering his cell phone and pick up truck so that we could get our main sail over to Mendez Upholstry for repair. (September - most yacht services were closed). Great people !

All you can eat Tacos $5.00.

Dave L38 #38
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 21:30   #18

Boat: Leopard 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer

s/v Holiday - did you have to get involved with the "pet import permit" when checking your dogs in to the Cayman Islands?

Similar to Susancruiser, we hope to visit with two cats that never leave the boat. But that import permit looks daunting.

Thanks.
Yes we had to go by the book. It is a lot to fill out but if you follow the info on the Internet you should have no problem. All very nice people to deal with and we called ahead to talk to them to be sure we had everything we needed.
s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 09:14   #19

Re: Grand Cayman, Anchorages, Pets

Does anyone have any experience checking a cat into Panama or countries between US and Panama? I have the usda form 7001 completed with the titlers test reflected but it was done in December.

Looking for help or advise or experience. What I have read indicates a 10 day period which I cant meet on a sail boat.

Susan from Erie spirit
susan 238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 16:11   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Grand Cayman, Anchorages, Pets

We found a kitten in Antigua, Guatemala and brought here back to the boat. Long story, but biggest issue was getting her on the bus back to the Rio Dulce. Bus driver made us put here in a cardboard box under the bus and I had to roam the streets of Guatemala City for a bodega with packing tape!

We had no issues in Columbia as no officials went aboard (2005) or in San Blas. When we measured for the canal we took the cat to a friends boat during the appointment on the flats to avoid any hassles.

My wife flew back to the US with the cat from Tahiti as NZ was going to be a major hassle. The only papers we had on the cat were from a Columbian vet and my wife was declaring like 12 countries since left the US, but nary a question. Airline form LAX to Michigan made here buy an FAA cat carrier in the airport. Had flown air france in a canvas tote bag under the seat, but they did make here go thru the carry-on x-ray belt in tahiti. She never went ashore at anytime between the Rio Dulce and Tahiti.

Tags
anchor, anchorages