Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2010, 12:21   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Good Daytrips Around Ft. Lauderdale

Hi Everyone. We have our first boat - a 30' Catalina and are looking for areas to explore near our home in Ft Lauderdale. Any recommendations for single day or weekend trips? Thanks!
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 12:37   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Sail down to Miami and sail Biscayne Bay. If weather won't cooperate on way back motor up the ICW, about half a day motoring. There's no sailing in Ft. Lauderdale. This is a good weekend trip.
Old 15-01-2010, 12:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I grew up in Lauderdale and learned to sail in the little basin at the west end of Las Olas Bridge where the mooring field is now. It's great to sail coastal out the inlet, but that's it, unless you head down to Biscayne Bay, as Vasco suggests. Fort Lauderdale is a great boating center for boat sales, boat repair, boat docking, but sadly, little for using the boat in open inland protected water or anchorage destinations. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 13:07   #4

If you have never been to Lake Silvia, I highly recommend it. Heading South from the Las Olas Bridge,you pass Bahia Mar and continue strait leaving the intracoastal channel. After you pass several condo buildings to port, the lake opens up into a very nice anchorage surrounded by beautiful homes. Perfect place to anchor for the day or spend the night. As mentioned above. Not much for sailing but a great place to drop an anchor.

Good luck.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 06:27   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Overnight anchorage (24 Hr. MAX) is available at Lake Sylvia, about 1 mi. South of Las Olas.
Lake Sylvia:
26̊6'17"N Lat. X 80̊6'42"W Lon.
Lust South of Bahia Mar (marina) then Bahia Cabana (bar) about mile marker 1065, and just before the ICW bends West (towards the New River).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
If you have never been to Lake Silvia, I highly recommend it. Heading South from the Las Olas Bridge,you pass Bahia Mar and continue strait leaving the intracoastal channel. After you pass several condo buildings to port, the lake opens up into a very nice anchorage surrounded by beautiful homes...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 15:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Overnight anchorage (24 Hr. MAX) is available at Lake Sylvia, about 1 mi. South of Las Olas.
Lake Sylvia:
26̊6'17"N Lat. X 80̊6'42"W Lon.
Lust South of Bahia Mar (marina) then Bahia Cabana (bar) about mile marker 1065, and just before the ICW bends West (towards the New River).
I thought the state law allowed unlimited stay as long as one in in transit?
promax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 20:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
Tell that to the Fort Lauderdale Marine Patrol. They'll still write you a ticket...and I'm sure it'll get thrown out in court. Still a hassle to go and fight it.
night0wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 04:46   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
By definition, if one is "in transit"; one is on passage, not "staying indefinately"... I believe.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 06:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
By definition, if one is "in transit"; one is on passage, not "staying indefinately"... I believe.
Yes of course but maybe longer then 48hrs Here in hollywood just south of lauderale the water patrol seems not to be bothering cruisers at anchor
promax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:27   #10

For a place called "Yachting Capital of the World", there is definitely very little sailing going on around here , and even fewer places to anchor....for daysails you are out of luck unless you'r happy with motoring up and down the Intracoastal , going out to the ocean for a couple of tacks and gybes and eventually picking up a mooring off the beach to swim for a while or have lunch.Biscayne Bay is a fine weekend option , but if I was going for a weekend sail out of Lauderdale I would go to Bimini.
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote