Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2017, 14:45   #31

Re: Going to the Bahamas for the 1st time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber40 View Post
Settlements you mention all big settlements on an island (Eluethera) with a fairly large and sophisticated population......of course good selections. Staniel Cay's 3 stores all
Small and all
Need to see the mail boat to have any selection. Also anyone selling booze in Staniel surely needs to wear a mask!

Wines are 2X vs the States.....we love the black box wine.....where can you find in Bahamas? Most stores sell Franzia box wine.....wondering if it will run in my Yanmar because it's sure killing me!

Never heard of ordering food on the mail boat....I had an outboard shipped in in a mailboat once....waited 6 hours ..all this shopping overwhelming to me.....I pack a huge amount of provisions.....shop where I can for whatever I can't carry or have exhausted . Time in paradise to valuable to run all over the islands looking for " just reduced" stickers!
Admit supplies in Exumas can be scarce, especially during family regatta when mailboats skip some settlements.
No black box in Bahamas, what we store aboard, but ran out. We dont go hunting for deals, but do spend more time in places than most so fund them as we interact with local population. Never buy booze in Stanial, they cater to mega yacht crowd. Had a friend who got hosed for a case of kalick, $80. So we stock up, visit the out islands till supplies run out and then bring order in on mail boar or sail to rock sound or Nassau for a top up.

Will admit prices probaly a big shock to US folks, not as a sever shock for Canadians or Europeons.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 15:05   #32

Boat: Caliber 47

Maybe that's the Canadian dollar at work, eh!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 15:16   #33

Part of it, but really just used to high prices at home.
Wine, rum, gin cheaper here
Some foodstuffs cheaper here, like butter (irish, not land o lakes) pork chops, mutton, whole chicken we have found less than Canada.
Cassava (yuca) is also good price and great substutute for potatoes.
Some spices cheaper.

Cereals, snacks lot more here.
Old 19-02-2017, 16:50   #34

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I am in the bahamas right now for the first time....load your boat to the rub rails with food and wine...everything is very expensive, you will have no problem at customs, what we are being questioned about is spare parts....not every customs official is asking but to be on the safe side, get rid of the packaging on your new spare parts, and if asked about your spare parts just say you have some old spare parts.....
the issue is if they are still in the package it may become an issue because they may feel your going to sell it..{.ex.a small bildge pump at the napa in georgetown sells for 150 bucks}....they may want you to pay duty on these items......and its no different if you have guests fly in and you ask them to bring you some new parts.....its the luck of the draw..

heres another example.....I lost my paddle board paddle over the side in some rough conditions while out on the sound, I looked around town and could not find a new one....met a guy who had alot of paddle boards on his boat...he had some sort of business going on... I asked him he wanted to sell a paddle....he want 400 bucks for the paddle.....yes it was funny.

the bohamians have to make money to survive and they make it on duty, I cant blame them, and its not right to be selling product illegally....but we are talking spare parts for your boat.....this is just my 2 cents
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 03:46   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
I am in the bahamas right now for the first time....load your boat to the rub rails with food and wine...everything is very expensive, you will have no problem at customs, what we are being questioned about is spare parts....not every customs official is asking but to be on the safe side, get rid of the packaging on your new spare parts, and if asked about your spare parts just say you have some old spare parts.....
the issue is if they are still in the package it may become an issue because they may feel your going to sell it..{.ex.a small bildge pump at the napa in georgetown sells for 150 bucks}....they may want you to pay duty on these items......and its no different if you have guests fly in and you ask them to bring you some new parts.....its the luck of the draw..

heres another example.....I lost my paddle board paddle over the side in some rough conditions while out on the sound, I looked around town and could not find a new one....met a guy who had alot of paddle boards on his boat...he had some sort of business going on... I asked him he wanted to sell a paddle....he want 400 bucks for the paddle.....yes it was funny.

the bohamians have to make money to survive and they make it on duty, I cant blame them, and its not right to be selling product illegally....but we are talking spare parts for your boat.....this is just my 2 cents
Bringing all you provisions in works if your here for 6-8weeks, but if your here 6-8 months probably not. So what we do is stick up on items which are very expensive here and buy local for the rest. If your reprovision in the Bahamas go to a center and shop where the locals shop, not where the tourists and condo folks shop.
Boat parts can be expensive, but worse, hard to find, so bring critical spares, especially if you have a 4 stroke outboard. If you have a yamaha or merc 2 stroke then parts are reasonable, especially if you order them through chandler in Nassau and have then shipped to you.
We have also adjusted our diet and eat more of the bahamian food, we dind its good and a lot cheaper. Andros has a budding agri business and so some of their cheeses and meats are pretty good.
In the small settlements buy only what you need, usually produce. Some sertlements have local produce venders, buy from them. The produce doesnt look polished and groomed like US grocery stores but its just as tasty and nutritious, and probably no pesticides or gmos
Interact with the locals they can help on what and where to buy.
Also foodstore2go allows you to buy online from Nassau and have ot packed and shipped to you on next mailboat. Prices are Nassau like and shipping is $5/box
Old 20-02-2017, 04:27   #36

Have checked in twice, watched several other check ins and spoken to dozens of cruisers on the subject of checking in.....have never heard an issue on spare parts....in packages out of packages etc.....they want to collect their $300....ask a few questions about firearms and how long you are staying then stamp your paperwork and away you go.

Bring critical spare parts yes.....parts that if you did not have them would stop an engine, generator etc but you cant go broke spending thousands on parts to save a few bucks on having one shipped in....shipping parts in not as expensive as some say......but by all means bring them....impellers, alternators, water pumps, fresh water system pumps, oil and fuel filters.....bring enough for perhaps 750 hours run time.
Old 20-02-2017, 05:05   #37
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I agree with those whomhave suggested stocking up on beer, wine, soft drinks, meat and any processed/canned foods you can carry. We did, but unfortunately one of our refrigeration units packed it in on the day we left Lake Worth and we lost about 30 meals of meat and chicken. Surprisingly, Maxwell's in Marsh Harbour had a good selection of reasonably priced beef, pork and chicken - only slightly more expensive than in the US. In fact, boneless/skinless chicken thighs (labelled here as 'big bird') were a little less expensive. California and European wines are much more expensive than in the US (or Canada!),while Chilean wines seem fairly close in price.

We anchored and took our dinghy to clear in at Green Turtle and had no difficulties entering 'ship's stores' for all of our alcohol/ food supplies. Unless you have firearms, we have not heard of anyone who had their boat boarded for inspection when clearing in by dinghy. You will need to bring a copy of your boat/dinghy registration as well as the serial number for your outboard, and of course, passports for all crew.

If you are planning on spending any time in the Abacos, we recommend joining the Royal Marsh Harbour Yacht Club. You can register online for $150 for the first year, $30 per year therafter. Discounts at liquor stores, restaurants (usually 10%)' marinas (typically 25%) and on community events.

If you don't have SSB, I would recommend picling up a portable receiver so that you can at least pick up Chris Parker's forecasts. In addition, you will need a booster to pick up any wifi at most marinas.

Enjoy!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 10:44   #38

Boat: magna 43

I have never been boarded so just be polite. They do want a count on fishing poles too
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 11:45   #39

Our entire anchorage was boarded down in the Jamentos and there was no request to count fishing poles! Interesting how experiences vary!

Tags
Bahamas