Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2018, 14:31   #1

Gibraltar - Canaries - Cape Verde Islands in Summer

In 2019 we want to cross the Atlantic (East to West, individually, not part of the ARC)
As far as I understand most people leave the Med in autumn (around Sept or Oct) then stay for a few weeks in the Canaries, then depart to the Cape Verde Islands in Winter, not earlier than late November.

As we have plenty of time we thought we could start early, lets say August, from Gibraltar, stay one or two months in the Canaries, and then again head early to the Cape Verde islands, staying one or two months there too, and then in December cross to the Carribean.

Is there any problem with this plan? Do either the Canaries or the Cape Verde Islands or the route in between get affectes by tropical storms? Any other problems?
vw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 06:12   #2

Re: Gibraltar - Canaries - Cape Verde Islands in Summer

Hallo, we have exactly the same plan. Have you got any information after your post?

My boat is in La Linea right now for mantainance, to be ready to leave in July.

I'd be glad to share info with whoever has similar plan.

Regards
Bruno
bruno2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 06:45   #3

Boat: Beneteau first 26

It's possible ,.
Spending 2.months in cape Verde for me it seems to much for a place to offer so few , if I had that time.on hand I would visit west coast of Africa and cape Verde just before the Atlantic for re provision.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 08:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Gibraltar - Canaries - Cape Verde Islands in Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw1961 View Post
In 2019 we want to cross the Atlantic (East to West, individually, not part of the ARC)
As far as I understand most people leave the Med in autumn (around Sept or Oct) then stay for a few weeks in the Canaries, then depart to the Cape Verde Islands in Winter, not earlier than late November.

As we have plenty of time we thought we could start early, lets say August, from Gibraltar, stay one or two months in the Canaries, and then again head early to the Cape Verde islands, staying one or two months there too, and then in December cross to the Carribean.

Is there any problem with this plan? Do either the Canaries or the Cape Verde Islands or the route in between get affectes by tropical storms? Any other problems?
Good plan.. the further S the steadier the Trades..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 00:43   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We also plan to cross in 2019 - so interested in answers - our question is how do the Canaries count Schengen? May limit our stay as we will probably run out of days with our summer sailing plan.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 00:59   #6

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

The canaries are full on Spain, schengen and all.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 01:17   #7

Hello Bruno2209,

We still have the same plan, and havent heard anything contrary.
Our boat is in Valencia, Spain now, we will start from there at the beginning of May. In June, because of work, we need to leave the boat somewhere for about 6 weeks, any recommendations about cheap marinas / boatyards around gibraltar, atlantic spain or southern portugal are highly appreciated.

Concerning Schengen, yes, the canary islands are part of Spain and therefor Schengen. I dont know where you start but I would recommend spending as much time as possible in Tunisia, Marokko, Gibraltar. I have heard though that the authorities on Canary islands are more relaxed regarding overstays by cruisers, and granting extensions quite easily, especially if you have a good reason (like not wanting cross the atlantic during hurricane season) . But me personally i would not want to rely on that, better to keep the schengen clock short before.
Old 30-12-2018, 01:23   #8

Boat: Leopard 45 (yet to come)

Yep, it’s Schengen and Gibraltar check-in Check-out does not count as EU outbound. 2 month are too much for CV, especially as sailing between the islands is not that easy. Mindelo in St. Vincente is the place were you can get some equipment before a crossing, there is a tiny chandler. But take care if you buy fuel, take it at the station only. But on the upside gas is very cheep.
Nelsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 03:03   #9

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

From my reading it seems opinions on CV are mixed at best, and with it being a poor economy provisioning isn't as good as in the Canaries.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 03:29   #10

Well, of course provisioning is not as good as in the Canaries, where you can get everything.

But provisioning in CV is not as bad as it is often reported. You can get all kind of fresh stuff there, in Mindelo you can find a nice market and while driving over the islands you can get fresh fruits. However I made the experience that everybody charged a higher, an European price. C`est la vie and a small compensation to that what the Europeans (especially British) did to the Cape Verdians in the past.

The only thing one has to take care is the adulterated fuel (not in the station in Mindelo marina). But what locals offer contains a lot of water.
Old 30-12-2018, 03:36   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

VW1961.. Almerimar is a good spot to leave the boat, cheap and friendly with all facilities available and an excellent supermarket in the marina complex.
Fast trains to Madrid are a half hour car ride away as is an inter EU airport.. also one is only a 24hr sail from the Straits/Gib..
Re Cap Verde.. Do your main provisioning in the Canaries and just use Cap for topping up fresh that you have used up.. things are improving there as it os becoming a bit more popular as a holiday spot.
It is Portuguese so Schengen may or may not apply.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 30-12-2018, 04:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
VW1961.. Almerimar is a good spot to leave the boat, cheap and friendly with all facilities available and an excellent supermarket in the marina complex.
Fast trains to Madrid are a half hour car ride away as is an inter EU airport.. also one is only a 24hr sail from the Straits/Gib..
Re Cap Verde.. Do your main provisioning in the Canaries and just use Cap for topping up fresh that you have used up.. things are improving there as it os becoming a bit more popular as a holiday spot.
It is Portuguese so Schengen may or may not apply.

CV is not Portuguese and so it`s not Schengen.
Old 30-12-2018, 05:14   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsons View Post
CV is not Portuguese and so it`s not Schengen.
Apologies.. it was till the dictator Salazar was overthrown in 1975 but is now self governing.. the language is Portuguese and it still uses the old currency of Portugal.. the escudo.

Cape Verde is an island nation, part of the Macaronesian group of islands of the Atlantic Ocean and was a former Portuguese colony during the colonial era between 1460 and 1975. EU-Cape Verde relations are founded on the EU/Cape Verde Special Partnership, agreed in 2007

Old 30-12-2018, 05:57   #14

I am still not sure yet about one thing: If somebody runs out of schengen time lets say in september and decides to depart early from the Canaries to Cape Verde, how big is the risk of encountering a hurricane on the way?
Attached are the tracks of all hurricanes in 1851-2012 and the area seems affectedClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181230-143404.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	182889
Old 30-12-2018, 06:09   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hurricanes are born thereabouts but I dont think there has ever been one recorded.
Its a tropical wave out of Africa that passes over or near the islands and develops and grows as it crosses the Atlantic..

Tags
aries, Canaries, Cape Verde, Gibraltar