Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 07:03   #1

Boat: DUFOUR 405 GRAND LARGE
GEORGETOWN to FORT LAUDERDALE

Hello, I'm an italian sailor who cross the atlantic ocean last dicember with my
girlfriend.we have a 40' feet sailboat,draft 7' feet (2 meters) and now we stay anchored in Georgetown, Great Exuma.next week we will depart to Nassau and after to Fort Lauderdale.the route I wish to do is sail north Exuma Cays, cross the Yellow Bank.Is there any problem with my draft? and then which is the best route from Nassau to Fort Lauderdale. may we crossing the Great Bahama Bank to BImini from Berry Islands?we aren't in hurry so we are looking for a non dangerous route because 7' feet below is terrible in Bahamas.thanks, cris.
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 07:30   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: GEORGETOWN to FORT LAUDERDALE

I have crossed Yellow Bank with a draft of almost 8 ft but you need good light so you can drive around the odd coral head. I would not do it again and now stay in deep blue water but if you do it stay on the passage lines on the charts.

From Nassau it is easier to stay off the Banks and go east of the Berry Islands and south of Freeport staying in deep water.

It would be very difficult to get towed off if you ran aground on the Banks.

Bonne chance

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 07:31   #3

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

There are a few rocks near the yellow bank explorer chart route that could give you some issues at low tide. I suggest crossing that area with good sunlight and a constant lookout with your draft. One alternative is to go from Highbourne to West Bay which puts you on the west end of New Providence. Seven and a half will mean you want to enter west bay at mid tide or higher. I went in the western entrance and out the southern entrance this year and there was more water on the southern entrance. The route to west bay is deaper and not as many coral heads to watch out for. Another option is to go directly west on the highburne to fresh creek route and head towards West Bay once you enter the tongue of the ocean. This is all deep water and will present no issues at all for your draft. The Berry's to Bimini should not cause you any trouble until you get to the west end or the route. Once you get to the Cat Cay waypoint I suggest the route to the Holm Cay waypoint then oout to the Triange Rocks waypoint. The water at the Turtle rocks waypoint is too shallow for you. I saw 6.5 feet there when I came this way and that was above mid tide. The route I suggested is much deeper. You'll need to make sure you stay in the channel when going into Bimini. There should be plenty of water if you stay in the middle of the channel but it gets very shallow very quickly at the sides of the channel. Once inside there is plenty of water except for the bar just south of the big game club so watch out for that. It's marked on the Explorer Charts. If you can't arrive at Bimini when the light is good I suggest you just anchor in Nixon's Harbor and wait for a high sun angle.

It's a pretty straight shot from Bimini to Ft Lauderdale. When you plot your course line aim at Key Biscayne and with average gulf stream current you'll be swept north to Ft. Lauderdale. The exact course line depends on your cruise speed of course, but ths should put you within a few miles of the Ft Lauderdale entrance.

I'm currently in Georgetown and saw your boat yesterday.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 07:54   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Hello, I'm an italian sailor who cross the atlantic ocean last dicember with my
girlfriend.we have a 40' feet sailboat,draft 7' feet (2 meters) and now we stay anchored in Georgetown, Great Exuma.next week we will depart to Nassau and after to Fort Lauderdale.the route I wish to do is sail north Exuma Cays, cross the Yellow Bank.Is there any problem with my draft? and then which is the best route from Nassau to Fort Lauderdale. may we crossing the Great Bahama Bank to BImini from Berry Islands?we aren't in hurry so we are looking for a non dangerous route because 7' feet below is terrible in Bahamas.thanks, cris.
Firstly, Welcome Aboard!! Nice Yacht!!

There is no need to cross Yellow Bank at all and with your draft I would not. You can proceed from the south at, say Allen's Cay, to a waypoint at approximately N24 52.120 W77 10.800 which is somewhat west of the southwestern edge of the Bank and from there north to a point at approximately N25 02.397 W77 12.000 to a point southeast of Porgee Rocks. From there it's a fairly easy run in to Nassau although there are some shoals projecting into the route in the area south of the channel between Athol Island and Paradise Island at approximately N25 04.490 W77 17.421. Depart in the early morning so you have the sun behind your right shoulder most of the way to spot the errant coral head although on this route there are few. Vigilance pays, however. Note that the channel into Nassau from Porgee Rocks past Paradise Island can be a bit rough and choppy.

Check the foregoing waypoints on your own charts to your own satisfaction before relying upon them. From Allens, it's about 36 miles. Good luck!

PS: You might want to look at ActiveCaptain.com for information on the areas you'll be traversing.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 15:03   #5

Boat: DUFOUR 405 GRAND LARGE

many thanks for the answers to my questions about the best routes for nassau and fort lauderdale.I have crossed the yellow bank at high tide and the minimum depth that I found was 2.90 meters well above my draft.I am happy to have known captain bill personally who very kindly gave me advice about routes and anchorages and made ​​me want to see Maine .... who knows that even ontheroad will migrate north from fort lauderdale ... greetings and good wind
cris
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown