Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 07:23   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Georgetown, Great Exuma, Bahamas

I might need to leave my catamaran in the Bahamas for a month or so in the winter. Is Georgetown the place to leave it? How can I contact someone to caretake our boat? Are there better places to leave a boat, long term, in the Bahamas? Thanks
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:11   #2

We are in Georgetown now, you can check out our latest blog post for some observations:

Georgetown At Last! | S/V Lillie Mae... Underway!

There is a well protected small harbor on Stocking Island with moorings that you could use. Plenty of folks leave their boats there. There are also lots of cruisers who drop anchor here in November and do not raise it again until April or May and I would imagine that getting on the daily cruisers net and asking for someone to boat sit for you would result in multiple qualified candidates and would surely cost you very little. Some of the folks living aboard very small boats may well boat sit your boat for free or for the cost of food and such. I cannot imagine you needing a boat sitter here for a month and having any issues finding one.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:04   #3

If you're going to be in the Exumas already, a mooring may work just fine for you.

If you plan to be elsewhere in the Bahamas, there may be better places to store your boat.

For example, I would not consider Nassau because of the rampant thievery there.

If you plan to be in the central Bahamas, Bullock's Harbour on Great Harbour Cay, is a good marina choice, as would the private marina on Chub Cay. Both are well-protected from the elements.

If you plan to be in the northern Bahamas, there a number of excellent marinas, mooring fields, and even dry-storage yards to choose from in the Abacos.

Good luck!
Alan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspringer View Post
... There is a well protected small harbor on Stocking Island with moorings that you could use. Plenty of folks leave their boats there. There are also lots of cruisers who drop anchor here in November and do not raise it again until April or May and I would imagine that getting on the daily cruisers net and asking for someone to boat sit for you would result in multiple qualified candidates and would surely cost you very little...
In Georgetown, contact Wendle (Little Toot) McGregor about renting a mooring in Hole 2 (Stocking Isl). He and wife Susan can be reached at 242-345-5185 or VHF 16 "Little Toot".

Half way back towards Nassau (from Georgetown) lies Sampson Cay. The Sampson Cay Marina has long been a favoured hurricane hole and is protected on all sides by land. Contact the Dock Master at: 1-242-355-2034,
or email the island at mikepiazza@sampsoncayclub.com

Web ➥ Sampson Cay - vacation villas, houses and marina in the tropical Bahamas

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 17:32   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Thanks everyone!
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 15:14   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
In the Abacos, Edwin's Boat Yard offers longer term moorings service in Man-O-War and a couple people rent them in Hope Town. Both are very well protected and both have ferry service to Marsh Harbor for flights. Green Turtle Cay also has moorings and ferry service to the airport at Treasure Cay. (I have my boat on the hard there.)

I think that fellow Gord mentioned in Georgetown was advertising on the cruiser's net when I was there this winter and sounded like a good option to me as well.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, georgetown