Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 14:19   #31

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Ouc, that hurts .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceypearce View Post
Oh my my my I want to tell you all a little something, when my family andI first pulled into Georgetown harbour in 1977 it was pristine. There were 5 boats and the maximum number of boats in the harbour all winter was 12. I have been returning to exuma for 33 years now. We have sold our boat and my family has property in exuma and I am married to a bahamian and we live in Exuma. I want to tell you all that you are all guilty of not participating in local events, you are all guilty of polluting that harbour, dropping off garbage and taking advantage of the entire situation for far too many years. IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMETHING WAS DONE ABOUT IT!!! You have your " beach church" group that prefer to stick to themselves over on Stocking island, instead of participating in local church services and groups. You have your own entertainment instead of coming to town, you do pollute the harbour and drop off your garbage and you have to start paying. WHO DO YOU ALL THINK YOU ARE??????? this is not your country and you had all better start respecting the fact that it isn't. I am embarassed to be an ex cruiser and sickened by what I see going on, you use the community facilities including regatta park, invade space that isn't yours and you think you contribute so much? think again. There are a very and I mean very small number of you that conduct yourselves properly while you are VISITING Exuma. AND FOR HEAVENS SAKE WHEN YOU ARE IN TOWN LEARN HOW TO WALK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD NOT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!!!! Locals are afraid to say any of this because they don't want to upset you. Fees for being in the harbour have been put off for years because they are afraid you will stop coming, but I can say it for them..... GLADLY. Stop being a bunch of hermits on the other side of the harbour and pay for what you are using. GOOD GOD people you aren't the salvation of Georgetown, trust me. My friends and I had the very first volley ball game on Stocking island years ago way before any of you even heard of Exuma. One volley ball net and no riff raff in the harbour it was wonderful. Any one who can't pay or won't pay or threatens that Exuma will not survive if they stop coming can just sail right on by as far as I'm concerned. Good on ya....don't come back. And for those of you returning, please participate more in what is going on in town, seriously you really do look silly with all your "beach" functions. You are more than welcome in town, you all have just forgotten what it is to be a cruiser learning about the culture of the place you are VISITING. You want to stay within your own little bubble on the other side of the harbour and it really is annoying. For those of you who are active in the community and have been, you are wonderful and I am proud that you ae doing what you are doing, have a great cruising season and I'm sure I'll see you around town TRACEY PEARCE
My, my, even though I've never been to the Exumas, I don't believe anyone here should be subjected to such vitriole.

When I do get to the Exumas, I hope you will introduce yourself ... so I can kick the soapbox out from underneath you!

By the way, I have, and always will, conduct myself as an officer and a gentleman ... even though it took an Act of Congress to make me one.
Old 05-10-2010, 14:35   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... For those of you who are active in the community and have been, you are wonderful and I am proud that you ae doing what you are doing, have a great cruising season and I'm sure I'll see you around town TRACEY PEARCE
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, traceypearce.

Thanks for sharing your opinion(s).

Although not all here will endorse your point of view (& some will), I’m certain we’ll all respect your right to express it. New viewpoints add data points to our discussion, though it won’t help to ratchet up the rhetoric. Heat is no substitute for substance.

Old 05-10-2010, 14:37   #33

Boat: Fortuna, Island Spirit 400, 40ft. Catamaran - S/V One White Tree
I don't think that was vitriolic, just plain speaking from the other side of the discussion.

Thanks for your perspective Tracey.
Old 05-10-2010, 14:45   #34

George Town, Exuma

We are very sad to see some of the misinformation that is circulating on this site:
The Head of the Port Authority in George Town has confirmed to me today:
15 moorings were installed in sensitive areas. Only boats under 50' can rent one of these moorings. There will be NO MORE MOORINGS installed unless there is an obvious demand for them.
There is absolutely no fee for anchoring anywhere in the George Town Harbour.
Pump-out is not compulsory, at least at this point in time. It will be very much experimental, probably for a few years, until the Port Authority can determine if and when it is working well.
There is no fee for garbage collection at this date.
As always, Bahamians welcome and look forward to the arrival of the cruisers this and every year. Happy cruising......
Old 05-10-2010, 14:54   #35

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Oh my my my I want to tell you all a little something,.......TRACEY PEARCE
With respect Tracey, I havent spent a lot of time in Georgetown, so I think I'm missing something in your point here. I don't understand the connection between the beach church, walking down the road, etc. and the issue of mooring balls and pump out that the OP brought up. I'm also confused that you seem to say people are not paying for services, yet you encourage them to come use more free servcies.

I also don't understand how people are not paying. The brief time I was in Georgetown, I paid for fuel, paid exuma docking, paid for meals out, paid for boat supplies at the hardware store, paid for groceries and paid for booze. I spent more in my 4 days there than the rest of my time in the exumas combined and more than I'd spend at home in my own community during the same amount of time. From what I saw many other cruisers were doing the same and in fact seemed to me that cruiser's are what kept many of these establishments viable.

I can understand how the masses of boaters can be frustrating, which is one reason I don't spend much time in Gerogetown, but I fail to understand some of the connections and points you make.

If you could straighten me out on these points, I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-10-2010, 14:56   #36

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Thank you GordMay, Osirissail and Sandy Minns for providing more accurate information.
Old 05-10-2010, 15:18   #37

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Touche ....

Perhaps not vitriolic, but certainly a tirade ... and her first post to boot.

I would rather take the emotion out of the situation and argue the facts as nautical62 attempts then subject the others here to a mere point of view ....
Old 05-10-2010, 16:45   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
if tracypierce and killfish are the welcoming committee, I will be waving as I pass by. Which sounds like what they really want to accomplish. tracy & killfish, did you live in Miami Beach prior to moving to GT? Same amount of friendlyness to cruisers these days
Old 05-10-2010, 16:55   #39

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I wonder what the people who own and work at Exuma Market, Chat & Chill, St Francis, and the other businesses that benefit from cruiser dollars think? How would they respond if they read the posts?

Regardless, I'm heading to BVI this year instead of the Exumas while I wait for things to settle out.
Old 05-10-2010, 18:36   #40

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
"Originally Posted by traceypearce
Oh my my my I want to tell you all a little something,.......TRACEY PEARCE"

Well, that is about as unfriendly a post as I have seen in a long time. If the citizens of Georgetown, Exuma do not want us to be there and to spend our money there at the local grocery markets, restaurants (including Chat & Chill), clothing and general stores, etc., - fine we will bypass Georgetown for other communities that do like having customers so they can earn money to feed their families and build their houses.
- - "Active in the community" - come on - we are foreigners and have no place telling Bahamians how to run and live their lives. And we have no interest in doing work that is the responsibility of the citizens of the country - and working by the way is illegal for foreigners unless they have a work permit.
- - I am glad we are not "the salvation of Georgetown" as I am retired from all that "saving the world" stuff. I just want to visit places that are pleasant and comfortable and where we don't interfere with the local citizens - who own the place. We don't own the Bahamas.
- - From that post it seems we are NOT welcome and are considered "riff raff in the harbour" - great job, you have convinced me that Georgetown does not want me there so I will go elsewhere and take my money with me. I certainly would not want to spoil your home - assuming you are a Bahamian and not something else.
Old 05-10-2010, 19:49   #41

Boat: Seawind - 1160
Lot's of Mis-Information

I have spent a good portion of the past three winters in Georgetown and have had a great time. The harbor is huge, has multiple large anchorages and has very good hoding. The water is crystal clear, and is flushed daily by several large cuts between the barrier islands that provides a natural cleaning action. It is much cleaner than the harbor I am in now, Baltimore MD. Maryland has had strict pumpout rules for nearly 30 years.

The people of Georgetown are very friendly and seem to enjoy the yearly influx of cruisers. I have had the pleasure of taking some of the locals out for rides on my boat. My wife has spent time volunteering in the local school along with many other cruisers.

Last year local boats participated in the cruisers regatta and cruisers crewed aboard local boats during the "Family Island Regatta. I do not know who this Pearce person is but she surely does not represent the typical Georgetown resident.

Yes there have been 15 moorings installed, all in Gaviota Bay off the St Francis YC. That will not have much of an impact on the room to anchor and may prove helpful for people that prefer a more secure mooring. That is if the new moorings are regularly inspected and repaired.

I would not let any thing I read here change my plans for the upcoming winter.

Double-Wide

YwZhpxG1
Old 06-10-2010, 11:50   #42

oh you all completely misunderstood what I am trying to say. Just pay for what you use, garbage drop off, yes you should pay it's just like home guys, tax payers are paying for your garbage to be hauled away. I'm saying, come to town and participate more, do more with the community, get to know everyone, not just your fellow sailors. No, we are not the welcoming commitee. The people of Exuma are sweet wonderful people who will welcome you with open arms. I'm just saying pay if you drop garbage and pump out your heads, that's all. I guess I was upset because I was swimming in hole one last year and realized i was swimming through poop. Not fun! I really am a nice person guys, I just want to see you paying for utilities you use, more involvment by you the cruisers in town and with the people of Georgetown. Sorry if I offended any one, it's been on my mind for a while, T
Old 06-10-2010, 15:41   #43

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
I recall how difficult is was to dispose of trash as we came down the Exumas. We would gladly have paid $5 a bag at any point.

Black Point just had a donations box out by the town pier, and you could give what you wanted. We gave generously, because we loved the town.

If George Town can set up such a system to defray the cost of maintaining the dumpster and hauling it off, I'm sure all cruisers would gladly pay.

Ditto for the pumpout boat. Make it available, make it reasonable, and people will support it heartily.
Old 06-10-2010, 20:07   #44

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
"Originally Posted by traceypearce
Oh my my my I want to tell you all a little something,.......TRACEY PEARCE"

Here are some comments and questions which I wish you would address in your next post so we and find out exactly what our transgressions are?
1. We "are all guilty of not participating in local events."
- -
What local events? Cruisers attend the churches, patronize the restaurants and stores. What local events?
2. "dropping off garbage and taking advantage of the entire situation for far too many years. IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMETHING WAS DONE ABOUT IT!!!"
- -
Exuma Markets tells us to put the garbage in their bins between their store and the canal. They do not tell us that we have to pay for that. Every time we deposit bags of garbage, we go back into the Exuma Market and purchase more food and products. They sell the food and product in boxes and bags that we cannot and do not want to have on board the boats to prevent bugs and roaches.
It is my understanding that Exumas Markets runs the dinghy dock, free R.O. water and free garbage to draw us to patronize their store. I know I certainly do shop there for those reasons.
- -
What is the "IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMETHING WAS DONE ABOUT IT!!!" except a threat?
3. "You have your " beach church" group that prefer to stick to themselves over on Stocking island, instead of participating in local church services and groups."
Freedom of worship and to follow the religion of a person's personal choice is a basic human right honored most everywhere in the world. Are you telling us we "have to" worship in your church - in your religion - or we will not be allowed to practice our religion?
4. "You have your own entertainment instead of coming to town and you do pollute the harbour and drop off your garbage and you have to start paying.
"WHO DO YOU ALL THINK YOU ARE??????? this is not your country and you had all better start respecting the fact that it isn't."

- -
What entertainment? Except for some loud local music and bars with excess drinking locals - who look at you funny - what kinds of entertainment does Georgetown offer for folks from the U.S. and Canada?
- -
Pay for garbage again? Where, How, Who is collecting?
- - "WHO DO YOU ALL THINK YOU ARE???????" -
That sounds pretty close like a direct threat. We know who we are - we are visitors from outside the country of the Bahamas who - just like the hotel/resort guests - come to enjoy the Bahamas and spend considerable amounts of money in Georgetown. That's who we are.
- -
WHO ARE YOU? Are you a citizen of the Bahamas and resident of Georgetown? Do you own a business in Georgetown? What is it? Does your Bahamian husband work in Georgetown and/or own a business there?
5. ". . .you use the community facilities including regatta park, invade space that isn't yours and you think you contribute so much? think again."
- -
I am quite certain that the Regatta Committee and the Officials of Georgetown coordinate use of all facilities so as to comply with all Bahamian laws and regulations. And "what are the spaces we invade" that aren't ours? Be specific, please.
6. "Fees for being in the harbour have been put off for years because they are afraid you will stop coming, but I can say it for them..... GLADLY."
- -
Yes, we will stop coming to places where we are not welcome. And you have made it abundantly clear that we are not welcome in Georgetown. And I presume you are speaking for the business leaders, tourism officials and other government of the Bahamas officials or you and "Killlionfish" would not have posted such negative diatribes about cruisers. I hope you will inform the Bahamian officials and Georgetown Chamber of Commerce that you have single-handedly "corrected" their problems and told cruisers that they are not welcome anymore.
7. "GOOD GOD people you aren't the salvation of Georgetown, trust me."
- - We know that better than you.
And what does Georgetown need to be saved from?
8. "riff raff in the harbour"
- -
At least now we know the true feeling of the citizens and business leaders and officials of Georgetown and you since you have been there 33 years and now live there and can speak for them.
9. "You want to stay within your own little bubble on the other side of the harbour and it really is annoying."
- -
Annoying to whom? So besides being polluters, garbage dumpers and lax in participating in local social/political events, we are not going to be allowed to congregate with our fellow cruisers in activities that cruisers enjoy and were the main reasons for our being there in the first place? How about all the other visitors in the resorts, inns, and marinas - are they going to be required to not remain in their "all-inclusive" resorts but instead hang around greater downtown Georgetown and participate in the frenzy of social activities of local Bahamians?
From Your latest post - "oh you all completely misunderstood what I am trying to say. Just pay for what you use, garbage drop off, yes you should pay it's just like home guys, tax payers are paying for your garbage to be hauled away."
- -
Unless you were writing in some other language than English, We did not misunderstand your initial post - it was very clear, if repetitive in places. What's with the "garbage" thing? over and over and over?
- -
And I most heartily agree with your "No, we are not the welcoming committee." Because your posts have been most effective in convincing many potential new visitors to Georgetown and a some old timers that you are "unwelcoming committee." You and Killlionfish have done a marvelous job and I hope the Officials of Georgetown and the Chamber of Commerce will be happy with your efforts.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:30   #45

I am happy to have seen some new information posted here. That being said, it seems that there are many rumors flying around along with various agendas at play here.

Here is some additional information and observations to put in your pipe:
  • The vast majority of the Cruisers absolutely pump out in the harbour on a constant basis. They are too cheap to motor out and dump three miles off of Stocking Island. They NEVER do this.
  • Many locals have stopped swimming in the waters off of Chat-n-Chill due to the septic aromas that tell you to stay out of the water.
  • A number of the volleyball playing cruisers have harassed and interrupted volleyball matches as "it was their time to play". I have witnessed several occasions that almost turned to violence.
  • The Cruisers have a morning conference at 8am on their radios. They speak in code quite often as they are illegally selling items to one another along with a great deal of bartering that is highly questionable.
  • Many cruisers spear in the harbor which is not allowed along with using spear guns as opposed to slings.
  • Most cruisers, if they do go on land socially bring their own alcohol as opposed to paying for it like a normal person would.
  • When the free food is passed out at Peace and Plenty Happy Hour the cruisers enhale it.
  • Want to find a Cruiser? Any event that is FREE will get their attention.
  • A number of cruiser's illegal tap into to homeowner's wi-fi connections for free Internet.
  • The Cruisers have a brisk illegal DVD trade going on of pirated movies along with alot of illegal muisc sharing.
  • Many of the Cruisers have a very strong "us against them" mentality.
  • I have witnessed Cruisers so cheap that they would open cartons of eggs at Exuma markets and hold each one to get the bigger eggs to make their own "custom" dozen. Very annoying.
  • The Cruisers never tip the baggage kids at the Market. If they do, what is a kid going to do with a dime on Exuma?
  • That being said, there are a small group of cruisers that are fantastic people that do add value. I would say 20% good, 80% bad. These percentages unfortunately make for, what is, essentially, a floating trailer park of people that think of the CHEAPEST methods of operation as opposed to the CORRECT and PROPER methods of operation.
  • The Cruisers, for the most part, are NOT friendly and DO NOT want to associate with anyone but one another. That does not make for a community and that is a shame.
  • Face it, they are there because it is cheap, convenient and easy. Technically, they are squatters that do have to buy food and parts from time to time.
  • The people that live on the island do benefit in that the markets increase their inventory and product flow. But, heck, an argument can be made as well in that regard for all of the illegal Haitians as they eat too.
So, not trying to stir the pot but one cannot argue with first hand experience. I am sure there are some that can add to the above.
Closed Thread

Tags
fees