Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2017, 03:41   #1

Boat: Samson C mist 31, Island Spirit 35, Young Sun 35, Island Spirit 37, Wharram Tangaroa, Edel 35, Edel
Gaviota Marina Cuba

Hi All
I hauled my 43 Foot Edel Catamaran out in Gaviota Marina, near Varadero, in Cuba in December 2017
I have left the boat there for a few weeks while I return home for xmas and will be back in January to do some work and antifoul etc.
My boat is 43 long and 24 feet wide.
The staff are very nice, polite and helpful. There is a huge travel lift which seems well maintained. The yard is large and quite empty.
The Marina is also half empty.
Obviously they have priced themselves out of the market.
Yard costs and Marina costs have gone up quite a bit!
It cost me $280 to haul out. And again the same to launch!!! ( I have yet to clarify whether they expect me to pay the same to go back in the water but it looks like they charge both ways which puts the price way above anything I have ever paid before.)
The monthly cost for my boat to be in the yard is around $13 per foot per day.
Again this cost is way above the cost of Storing in most yards in USA.
The only saving is in the fact that they allow you to do your own work in the yard.
But there are no shops or chandleries so you must bring everything you need with you.
Given that the yard is isolated from any shops and the nearest town is Varadero which is around 15 miles away and a $5 bus ride, I would think the authorities are charging way too much for their services. The empty yard and marina are proof itself. The Marina at Varadero ( which is no longer a place you can check in at) was half full also, way down from my previous visit here because prices there too have gone up.
The attraction of going to Cuba was their pricing and the wonderful culture.
The pricing has obviously cut the amount of visitors substantially and I can only hope they amend it soon.
When I get back mid January I will have more information.
If anyone wants to contact me about this, feel free.
hydelotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 09:16   #2

Boat: Samson C mist 31, Island Spirit 35, Young Sun 35, Island Spirit 37, Wharram Tangaroa, Edel 35, Edel
Re: Gaviota Marina Cuba

Hi All I cant edit the post now for some reason, but the costs are $13 per foot per month! not per day. So for my boat its around $570 per month.
hydelotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, iota