Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 07:34   #31

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Gasp!! an American yacht sailed directly to Cuba from the states!!! And admits It

The Secret Service haven't officially released that particular film yet; all we have is the script and the after action report.....
Old 04-08-2015, 07:47   #32

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Re: Gasp!! an American yacht sailed directly to Cuba from the states!!! And admits It

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Yes, my post regarding guns was to the OP. But if you've been to Cuba with weapons on board I'd be happy to here about your clearing-in experience.
It was a non issue. They Kept them in the port office while we were in the marina and then gave them back when we left the marina. We anchored at a few other places after that before leaving as well to Cayman

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:50   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Ya I think this thread going in two different directions. Guns are not part of the video. The video is not about natraps at all. The video was posted by natraps and is a youtube channel from S/V Sea Wolf who created a video of their entering and leaving Cuba. Even though S/V Sea Wolf themselves posted the video (which probably wasn't too swift of an idea) I don't I would have reposted a video that might bring hardship to them in the future.
Nope your wrong. The video is ABout me "natraps"

I guess im not too swift. Or it might be that I don't give a crap. I am an American. I go where I want.

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 04-08-2015, 07:52   #34

Boat: OEM, proportional

When checking the firearms with customs do you install a trigger lock; to prevent gefingerpokery by envious officials?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:54   #35

No, I do tell them though to clean the gun though if they take it shooting.. Lol

-Jedi master Yoda
Old 04-08-2015, 08:06   #36

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
what on earth is this whole thread about?

Is this a Yankie thing or something? I follow this young couple with their video releases through Patreon. It's been quite interesting. But what now is all this excitement about Cuba about. You all seem to be acting like they weren't aloud to go there or something.

And We in Australia have always been able to get Cuban Cigars and frankly, there not what American movies suggest.
Hi Aussie!
Yes this a Yankee thing it appears. Americans have not been allowed to go to Cuba for like 50 years or so. Things are changing quickly BUT as of now it is STILL illegal for us to go for tourism. So no S/V Sea Wolf (who I watch and follow) were technically NOT allowed to go there. So thats the discussion taking place here.

And you are correct the Cuban cigars of today are NOT as good as they once were because the good Cuban cigar professionals all left Cuba decades ago for other parts of the world to ply their trade and skills. Maybe they will return...maybe not.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:39   #37

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Hi Aussie!
Yes this a Yankee thing it appears. Americans have not been allowed to go to Cuba for like 50 years or so. Things are changing quickly BUT as of now it is STILL illegal for us to go for tourism. So no S/V Sea Wolf (who I watch and follow) were technically NOT allowed to go there. So thats the discussion taking place here.

And you are correct the Cuban cigars of today are NOT as good as they once were because the good Cuban cigar professionals all left Cuba decades ago for other parts of the world to ply their trade and skills. Maybe they will return...maybe not.
I had not realised that. I knew Cuban's couldn't go to the US, but I didn't know you guys couldn't visit there.

Hypothetically, how can your home nation, being the US refuse to permit you to return to your own country? That would make you stateless which is a breach of UN resolutions on (?) The one that says no member country can expel their own citizens.

We currently have new laws that prevent us from visiting some middle east countries. If you visit them, you breach Australian Law and can be prosecuted on your return, but they can't refuse you entry.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Nope your wrong. The video is ABout me "natraps"

I guess im not too swift. Or it might be that I don't give a crap. I am an American. I go where I want.

My apologies to you natraps. You, I understand now, are the Capt. of the S/V Sea Wolf. I get it now. I thought you were two separate guys. Heck and I was just trying protect you (from you I guess). Im confused LOL. Regardless I Love your videos Man! Keep 'em coming.

BUT that being said though I must say that your comment "I am American. I go where I want" was a little discerning. Your videos to date have shown you to be a good ambassador for America and cruising Americans. And I'm sure thats the case. Please don't be "one of those guys."
Old 04-08-2015, 08:56   #39

Quote:
I had not realised that. I knew Cuban's couldn't go to the US, but I didn't know you guys couldn't visit there.

Hypothetically, how can your home nation, being the US refuse to permit you to return to your own country? That would make you stateless which is a breach of UN resolutions on (?) The one that says no member country can expel their own citizens.

We currently have new laws that prevent us from visiting some middle east countries. If you visit them, you breach Australian Law and can be prosecuted on your return, but they can't refuse you entry.
I suspect that our laws are very similar to yours. Our Government probably can't actually prevent citizens from actually returning but returning would lead to legal prosecution. Its very, very complicated with Cuba and the US. Goes way back to the Cuban Missile crisis and the fact that we are still punishing Cuba for siding with Moscow and not Washington DC. Fortunately things are changing very rapidly. We actually just reopened our US Embassy in Havana just a few days ago so things are moving very quickly.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:11   #40
Eternal Member

Quote:
We actually just reopened our US Embassy in Havana just a few days ago so things are moving very quickly.
That "embassy" was never really 'closed', in reality... they just called it by a different name, the "US Interests Section" has been staffed by American officials since the time of the Carter Administration... Every American visiting Havana knows that's the place to head for if you lose your passport, or have some other form of difficulty...

One of the most prominent buildings you'll see during a stroll along the Malecon... Just don't point a camera in its direction, you'll have a swarm of Guarda surrounding you very quickly...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:35   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
That "embassy" was never really 'closed', in reality... they just called it by a different name, the "US Interests Section" has been staffed by American officials since the time of the Carter Administration... Every American visiting Havana knows that's the place to head for if you lose your passport, or have some other form of difficulty...

One of the most prominent buildings you'll see during a stroll along the Malecon... Just don't point a camera in its direction, you'll have a swarm of Guarda surrounding you very quickly...

;-)
I did not know that Jon. Thanks. I guess I've been too busy not visiting a place I thought was illegal for me to visit. My loss I guess.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:38   #42

We had a great time! All the worry leading up to going seems overblown in retrospect. Don't miss pinar Del Rio!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:30   #43

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
...The lighter note is there are far better cigars had elsewhere. Once the old real Cuban tobacco farmers fled they took with them generations of farming knowledge. Classic cars from the 50's? This isn't quite the Latin Barrentt-Jackson show. More like an old rusted out 57 Chevy BelAire that long ago junked it's 350ci for three old landmower engines welded together and tied to an aging donkeys tail stuffed under the hood. ...
Politics & attrocities aside (of which there are plenty on both sides of the fence), Castro's actions had an unintentionally positive impact on the cigar industry. Cuban cigar families fled taking their knowledge, skills, and some seeds of course to various suitable venues. While the Cuban cigar industry stagnated under Castro's rule the exiled Cubanos slowly rebuilt their businesses and innovation flourished in the industry. There are innumerable amazing cigars available now as a result (the native Cubans are still good cigars, but the same old cigars theyve been making for decades). For example, I just returned from Esteli, Nicaragua where Cuban exiles settled and started over. Esteli is now one of the meccas of cigar making. Toured the Plasencia cigar factory which was founded by a Cuban exile family of the same name, they now produce 25,000 high-end cigars per day at this factory (and they have other factories).

Have to partially disagree with you on the cars in Cuba. There are in fact some beautiful ones still plying the streets of Havana, but yes the Cubans have had to get creative mechanically out of necessity.

The biggest reason to visit Cuba, or Little Havana of you want to mitigate risk, is the Cuban people. Despite all they've been thru, and continue to suffer thru, they are some of the most open, friendly, and vibrant people I've ever met.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438781291610.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	106760  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:11   #44

Quote:
Not sure couldn't is the right word. Before recent events, Cubans had an immigration advantage over people trying to get to the US from other countries. If a Cuban was able to get to the US and touch US soil, they could legally stay in the US. This did not apply to any other nationality. It seems like now all you have to do is walk across the boarder and you are fine today. Flip side, is that Cubans arriving by raft/float could get within feet of the shore, not touch US ground, get caught, and sent back to Cuba. Kinda heart breaking to see these people get so close, after coming so far, at such great risk, and then not making it.

Then there was the Mariel boat lift in 1980 where over 100,000 Cubans were allowed into the US. There was some concern that a similar boat lift would happen back in the early 90s but it did not.

So Cuban's can come to the US it is just not easy or safe.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 00:53   #45

Boat: Island Packet 40

I think Australias new legislation on fighting in foreign conflicts only restricts what you may do in other countries and not which ones you can travel to.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, sail, yacht