Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2008, 15:29   #1

Boat: Mutineer 15
Galveston TX

Well we had a great season on our mutineer 15 lake sailing in Missouri. Now we are thinking about taking a trip this summer to somewhere more interesting. We were thinking of Galveston Tx since we have some friends that we have not seen in a long time. My question is would be able to sail on the Atlantic side of Galveston our would be better off in Galveston bay?
wampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 15:44   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
wampler, You can sail both but neither are very interesting. Galveston Bay is very shallow although I suspect your draft is not a problem. But lots of abandoned platforms, old pipes and all kinds of nasty stuff. And that does not include the very heavy commercial traffic. But if you like that sort of thing you will enjoy it. There are some not so bad spots further up the bay near Clear Lake.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 17:15   #3

I think Galveston is still on the Gulf of Mexico. Of course if you wanted to sail in the Atlantic you could. It just might be a really long sail.
OldSarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 17:17   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I knew what he meant.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 17:19   #5

Just kidding....
OldSarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 18:26   #6

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Wampler

Galveston Bay is home to the 3rd largest concentration of boats in the U.S.; and its a fun get away for the sailor and family.

One of the best times I spent was at Galveston Island. We docked at Harbor House and during the morning we would walk "The Strand", or catch the old time trolley to the beach on the gulf side, or visit the museums and Moody Gardens. Then we would eat at all the great places and when the wind woke up we went sailing.

Harbor House at Pier 21 - Galveston, Texas

There is more to do on Galveston Bay than you will find time for.

Moody Gardens has a nice dock: Moody Gardens Galveston Texas | Amusement Theme Parks | Houston Attractions | Family & Group Vacation Idea TX

The Texas Mariners Cruising Association site shows many Galveston Bay destinations including plotted courses, charts, and local knowledge.

TMCA Texas Mariners Cruising Association - Destinations

Regretfully this site hasnt been upgraded in some time but its still helpful

BARR Local Knowledge Page

The boating center of Galveston Bay is Kemah and Clearlake (new and used boating gear is abundant)

Check out the Boardwalk and Marina

Kemah Boardwalk - The Fun Never Stops

Hurricane Ike did do some damage so I advise you to checkout what is available. Keep it in mind that July and August may be too hot for you guys.

And 15 minutes from the Boardwalk Marina is NASA (Johnson Space Center)

Space Center Houston

At the very least, I promise you will meet some friendly people and good food.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Jim

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 18:41   #7

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
wampler, You can sail both but neither are very interesting. Galveston Bay is very shallow although I suspect your draft is not a problem. But lots of abandoned platforms, old pipes and all kinds of nasty stuff. And that does not include the very heavy commercial traffic. But if you like that sort of thing you will enjoy it. There are some not so bad spots further up the bay near Clear Lake.
I agree, the Kemah/Clear Lake area is a more relaxing place to sail.

Some areas of the Bay are shallow; I draw 4' 8" and really havent had a problem unless I intentionally push it; and some areas of the Bay do have submerged rigs and piping, but they are well known and marked. (I dont remember hearing any stories of someone crashing into them, but Im sure it has happened)

The Houston-Galveston-Texas City-(and a few more names) Channel is one of the busiest in the U.S.. I read that there are 30 - 50 ships a day coming through, but its a big bay and the channel presents less danger than a busy interstate if you mind your manners.

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 18:47   #8

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
I could not say it any better than BassAckwards.

Lots to do here and lots of great folks.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 09:40   #9

Boat: Mutineer 15
thank you all for your great input. I feel that we will have a great time visiting the area now that we know a little more about it from a sailors prospective.
wampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 09:51   #10

I draw 5' 4" and only have to watch out for a few well known hazards when sailing out of Kemah. I think Galveston Bay is quite nice, personally. The water isn't clear but wildlife is abundant. There is still quite a bit of junk around, post-Ike, however!
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 16:26   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Chuck,

OK, Galveston Bay doesn't have the clearest, prettiest water.

But, it's a fun place. And the hazards aren't THAT bad. We found a bigger problem with the idiots on boats...

wampler, if you want a quieter, prettier alternative, we really, really like Corpus Christi.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 11:51   #12

Boat: Commissioned Home Built 20' Wooden Sloop (Weekender designed by Stevenson Projects)
Re: Galveston TX

Hi,

My first post on a forum. I grew up in Galveston. Just sold my bay house in Sea Isle about 1.5 years ago - thought I would not make out favorably in the long run with the flood insurance increase over the years (still having some sellers remorse). So I've commissioned a 20' custom wooden sloop that should be ready latter part of August.

So looking forward to sailing, fishing, etc. I so miss the salt water. Not sure it's a "calling" - but I get a bit depressed being away from the salt air, seagulls, fishing and taking walks on the beach. Kind of like medicine if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the conversation - as I have been wondering where to go for my first sail: in Kemah or Galveston. My experience is limited to small sailboats and cats - so this will be a learning curb.

designsingems is offline   Reply With Quote