Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 15:44   #1

From TCI to DR to Puerto Rico: Best route?

Dear all,

I am seeking some experienced advice - I have my boat (Hunter 35 legend) in the Turks & Caicos Islands and I want to head towards Puerto Rico, and from there to Tortola -

I am planning to make this crossing in the last weeks of July (crossing fingers to get a good weather window)

My question is the following, which is the best route?

Option 1. From TCI (Sand Cay) to Puerto plata (Ocean world Marina) and then sail the north coast of DR (which I will love to skip) to Samana and from there cross the mona passage to Boqueron - THis is the typical route suggested by Bruce vanSart using the Kabatic winds during the night to get to Samana

Option 2. From TCI directly to Samana: I have not read any routes suggesting this option, but shouldn't I take advantage of being already north of DR to sail SE towards Samana? - The prevailing winds that I expect unless someone corrects me, wont help (also E-SE in July) but this will be for any option and maybe I have a better chance not close to shore and tackle to get there - I will have to avoid the silver banks Which are a bit on the way - Anyone has taken this option?

Option 3: Same as option 2 but directly to Boqueron (not stopping in Samana) or maybe to San juan, depeding on the wind

Any help will be very appreciatted

Guillermo
Willythefog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 14:17   #2

Re: From TCI to DR to Puerto Rico: Best route?

Com on!? no-one has an opinion about this topic?! 104 people have red the post...and zero replies. makes me questioned if:

a) no-one has a clue (and this might be natural, is quite a specific question)
b)...my question is not clear? (if this is the case, let me know - The question is about the ecuation safety-time efficiency which IS NOT always an uncorrelated pair) depends on the route!

...Will wait...as with a weather window

Fair winds to readers

G.
Willythefog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:39   #3

I have never made that particular cruise. It seems a month or two earlier would eliminate the possibility of hurricanes spoiling your trip. June would be the latest I would go. I used to have a CD of a sailor taking that route I barely remember the name being Blue something. I recalled he sailed to Lupron DR and then sailed between Gitmo and DR. He sailed to Columbia left his boat and flew back to the US. That's all I remember.
jamestholtzinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:50   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I've only done the route going west (St Thomas to Florida, non-stop) and so can't really advise you on the east-bound trip, but here's a link to a custom Google search of CF threads on "thorny path". Hope it helps.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:10   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We also have not done it but did go from the San Blas to Jamaica and then the south coast of the DR to PR. Take a look at going down the Windward around the south coast of Haiti, you can anchor there but going ashore may be an issue, then on down the coast to Boca Chica and then a 36 hr trip to the DR across the bottom of the Mona.

Take a look. There is a free cruising guide to the DR on line just do a search for it.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willythefog View Post
Com on!? no-one has an opinion about this topic?! 104 people have red the post...and zero replies. makes me questioned if:

a) no-one has a clue (and this might be natural, is quite a specific question)
b)...my question is not clear? (if this is the case, let me know - The question is about the ecuation safety-time efficiency which IS NOT always an uncorrelated pair) depends on the route!

...Will wait...as with a weather window

Fair winds to readers

G.
Why don't you just go buy Bruce Van Sant's book? I don't think you will get any advice about this route anywhere else, as good as his.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gentlemans.../dp/0944428797
Old 08-03-2015, 09:17   #7
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willythefog View Post
Option 1. From TCI (Sand Cay) to Puerto plata (Ocean world Marina) and then sail the north coast of DR (which I will love to skip) to Samana and from there cross the mona passage to Boqueron - THis is the typical route suggested by Bruce vanSart using the Kabatic winds during the night to get to Samana
Looks like the OP already read Passages South. This is an old thread, BTW.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route